Thought exercise: what would the market be like were the Pista limited to 999? | FerrariChat

Thought exercise: what would the market be like were the Pista limited to 999?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Dec 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I know this post might stir controversy and contention. Not at all my intent. My post history suggests that I am one of the least controversial posters on the board. That said, I still feel compelled to submit some disclosures:

1). I badly wanted a Pista. I was not able to secure one without the Lusso/Portofino gambit. That made the Pista a bridge too far for me. I often regret my decision not to simply eat the extra dough. I am not bitter though.

2). I’m truly not preoccupied with “value/depreciation”. I mean, that should be self-evident as I purchased a brand new $470,367 Ferrari 812 SF lol.

3). The Pista is my favorite Ferrari of the last 30 years. I have tremendous envy of everyone fortunate enough to own one and I truly enjoy seeing the pictures and reading the ownership accounts.

With all that out of the way, had Ferrari chosen to limit the car to 999 globally, several interesting questions present themselves:

1). How much more could they have raised the MSRP? $100,000? $200,000? More?

2). How many more hoops might buyers have been forced to clear?

3). What impact might this have had on previous cars, in particular the Speciale?

4). What impact might this have had on future cars, especially the F8 or SF90?

5). Would this have been a net negative or net positive for long-time Ferrari loyalists?

6). Would this have moved the brand forward or backward?

7). Would people like me, who missed out, coveted one more or less?

To me, this is merely a case study in the economics of specialty high-end luxury goods and I’m fascinated about this alternate universe. Looking forward to insight from the Fchat illuminati, most of whom never cease to amaze me with the depth and breadth of their knowledge.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  2. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Where are you from
    I have a Pista I would sell you or a Speciale Aperta also
    Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Cadster- numerous Pistas available. I know of a few as I was trying to help a buddy get one. Happy to pass on I do or just do a search. You can get one if you truly want one.

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for the quick replies. A couple clarifications, I know there are a ton of availability in the secondary market, including some nice specs with barely more than delivery miles. I was really interested in personally spec’ing my own, much like I did with my 812. I really enjoyed that process and ended up with exactly what I wanted in the end. I didn’t want the spend $450ish plus $100 for the Lusso/Port gambit for my EXACT spec, it’s now hard for me to consider paying $450ish plus $50ish secondary market premium for NOT the exact spec I would want. I’ve looking though. Maybe PM any leads. I’m in North Carolina.

5. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    I’ve got a beautifully specked vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What’s your perfect spec? Let’s start with that.

Thecadster and Shahaf like this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Truly limited 16m and speciale aperta used market can provide guideline of speculation.

Thecadster and sampelligrino like this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Just be patient. You will find the used one with the spec you want.

Thecadster and sampelligrino like this.
  9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I think you want the Pista

LOL

Thecadster likes this.
  10. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Thecadster, lest this become a thread taking a direction quite different than what you intended, I'll respond by number:

1. If Ferrari had marketed the car with the promise that each would be numbered 1-999, and had religiously stuck to that promise, I think they could have asked, and received, at least $200k more. Pretty sure the regular big fish would have snapped them up before us poor plebs even got a whiff of one.

2. The only hoops would have been that either you were an insider or not. I've done 5 cars now, and I consider myself many, many leagues below the heavy hitters. I don't even register on the Ferrari Radar. Think offshore accounts and Gulfstreams. Those are the guys that get the 999 edition cars, presuming its a decent piece of kit and NOT some lipstick and rouge job.

3. I think it would have brought the prior special editions (Speciale) up with it.

4. Very little or no impact on the run of the mill cars.

5. Net negative for Ferrari loyalists. 999 is a tiny group of people. They would lock them away and you would never see them except at Pebble Beach.

6. It would have moved the brand backwards with Ferrari's suppliers; ask the guy who moulds the plastic widget that holds the whamo on the Pista whether it keeps him in business to build 999 cars as opposed to 3500. Ferrari casts a pretty big shadow with its suppliers, and super limited edition cars are not good for the people who make their living supplying Ferrari.

7. I would have coveted it like I did the Enzo; "Gee, that is a really cool car, but way out of my league. Anyone got a used Speciale they can sell me?"

Jaguar36, SoCal to az and Thecadster like this.
  11. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    What’s the spec? I, too, am contemplating buying a Pista.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Rosso Dino or perhaps this guy:

488 Pista Picture Thread

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Great post. Exactly what I was looking for. Interesting and intelligent thoughts from people much more knowledgeable than me.