Should i just use my FF and throw caution to the wind? | FerrariChat

Should i just use my FF and throw caution to the wind?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Outrun, Dec 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Outrun

Outrun Karting

For lots of reasons, top end cars in the UK have taken a hammering recently. Political uncertainty has led to a slow market for premium products, cars, houses etc

I have a lovely 2014 FF which i paid £147,500 for about 18 months ago. I think it’s currently worth about 130-135k retail and 120k trade. Mileage is 18k.

The question is, should i just use it and forget that the value is tanking? I know that cars above 30k are hard for main dealers to retail so I’m thinking of doing another 10k in it for the next year and then getting into an F12,

I wonder what value difference there will be in a year or so if i add the miles?

Thoughts?

2. Kooks86

Kooks86 Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Use it and abuse it and enjoy it! 10-15k miles isn’t gonna do any harm. Why trade in to an F12 when you have the same feel but with 4 seats and luggage space?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You should be able to see what FF with those miles are going for now and likely they continue to depreciate a little. Also I would imagine F12 will depreciate also during that time. So the question is what will depreciate faster over the next year. Your FF + 10k miles/ or/ the typical F12 with market appropriate miles. You probably also want to consider what happens if you make the trade today and how much the F12 will depreciate with those 10k miles- unless you would't drive it as much.

Have you driven the F12? What do you think of the car as it compares to the FF?

4. aggiestckl

aggiestckl Karting

Jul 15, 2016
    Doylestown, PA
    I have F12 and am looking at buying a FF.. I say use FF and abuse it

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    What are you saving it for?

Monopole and vraa like this.
  6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have 33k miles on my 2012 FF. It is my DD and I plan to put 15k miles/yr on it

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

otakki, dustman and vraa like this.
  7. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    These beauties are built to be used and enjoyed...

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

otakki and vraa like this.
  8. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    the more you use it, the cheaper it gets per mile...

AshAP and timjen88 like this.
  9. Agpl

Agpl Karting

Jan 15, 2013
    Worcestershire UK
    Full Name:
    John Ranson
    F12's also dropped in price this year, personally I would use the FF then look to get into a GTC4 Lusso!!!
    My experience going FF to Lusso is a serious upgrade and you will have a car you can use all year round.
    If you use winter wheels they will be ok also.

10. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I met a UK owner of a FF at the GTS launch, he is just using using and using his FF and it just gets better he said. I cannot recall the miles but it was 40k plus . The 7 year servicing helps of course. There are some threads on here about extended warranty and their worth/cost benefit. You are probably at the point where in normal retail terms 18k miles is a harder sell ,and a 4 seat Ferrari a niche , so to get your value from the car, just keep using it. Joe Macari had a higher mileage 2011 FF Rosso Maranello 41k miles at around 100k gbp , it sold rapidly. I think that gives a realistic idea of what you are looking at ( 90k gbp trade) if you get to 40k miles. hope that helps. Enjoy !

11. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Had my Lusso for 30 months now, not lost a penny on it..............so far. Not worried about mileage as to stop me worrying about it I've convinced myself it will be a keeper.
    Had my FF new 2015 and put 15,000 miles on it a year, lost a fair bit when traded in but loved every minute.
    Has been posted before but to worry about mileage to the detriment of enjoyment is like keeping your girlfriend unsullied so the next bloke is more eager jump in

montpellier, otakki, ANOpax and 2 others like this.
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont know your market but here in the US, a 2014 FF with 28.000 miles would be in the $140k range retail. So probably $120k trade in. That's today and in USD.
    In a year, you can probably deduct another $15k. Maybe more as more Lussos are available at way under $200k.

ryalex likes this.
  13. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I've got a Porsche Macan daily driver as well but I do look at the FF, all pretty and under her cover and wonder why I paid to have the underside rust proofed if I'm not going to use it! I've been working in a big deal at work and have decided that when that comes off, I'll use the FF and too hell with it! I'm prepared to lose £10-15k a year on it so I think with 40k miles on it in 3 years or so from now it should still be worth £90k maybe. Luckily it's very high spec and therefore stands out from the crowd.

tomc and montpellier like this.
  14. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    LOL

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Can only speak for me but I always try to remind myself tomorrow is never a guarantee. I don't buy a Ferrari to avoid depreciation, I buy a Ferrari for the experience otherwise why even bother!

Adamas, montpellier and vraa like this.
  16. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Better analogy might be if you 1. sh*g me a little I will take you for $ loads when you move me on, if 2. you sh*g me senseless I will totally $ clean you out. Same narrative as the Ferrari dealer. LOL

FFantastic likes this.
  17. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Drive it! Enjoy it. It’s the only reason to own one.

18. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A few months ago in a German television car show called GRIP a guy sold his FF with 120.000 km on the clock.
    He said he loved the car and used it A LOT - and it still worked perfectly ..... oil consumption was beyond 1 liter for every 1000 km, but remember: the Germans do really use the available power thanks to the Autobahn.

chrixxx likes this.
  19. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’ve said it before but it bears repeating - I don’t think anyone ever lay on their death bed and said ‘I wish I’d driven the Ferrari less...’

Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Enjoy today.

chrixxx, Bamsefar, otakki and 2 others like this.
  20. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    I know how you feel, I've had mine 3 years and only put 1300 miles on it! I seem to always find an excuse to not drive, it's going to hail, rain, to icy, don't want to park it anywhere?!?!? Wish I could get past this mental block and just drive the heck out of it! Nothing really to do with mileage/resale, just struggle to find time/place/weather to drive it. This is my third and every time I buy one I say, "this one I'm going to drive", I think I need professional help :)

Bamsefar and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I vote drive. I purchased a 12 ff this year and promptly put snows on it. It is my daily driver and I even put in a car seat for my daughter. When I drove a 911 targa as a dd we always went to dinner in my wife's suv. Now it is the FF. The FF is great in the snow by the way.

22. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Not trying to sound pompous or overly knowledgeable i can see a day looming when our toys are or will be considered dinosaurs and unwelcome ones at that. The way the Green movement (of whom I have some sympathy but not obsessively so) is gaining a sure foothold on the policies of developed countries it may not be too long before legislation bans the new sales of what we have and taxes the ones we already have to the point they become untenable which could or possibly will have a dramatic effect on values. Whether it is a trophy garage queen preserved in aspic and hardly used or a well trodden Lusso like mine if there is no market there would be no value.
    So the moral of the story is..................... use it before we are forced to lose it.

ANOpax likes this.
  23. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just drive and enjoy it mate. I bought mine 2015 as new, now I have 35K KM on it and enjoy every moment. Once I pass the 50K KM I will add a Lusso with low milage and the FF will become my winter daily in St. Moritz.

In 10 years this kind of cars are either banned from public roads and becoming useless or get a high increase in value as there are no more Ferrari V12 out there. no matter what will happen, enjoy it NOW.

Maggio23 likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    absolutely no reason for an FF to be a garage queen. much prettier cars for that. if you aren't driving an FF everyday, everywhere, something is off.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    After gotten hit really hard one time, hail is the about the only thing that makes me think twice about being outside.