FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Got the car 6 months ago and I got 2 years warranty. It’s been such an awesome car. If it is a serious ptu issue and it needs to be replaced hopefully it won’t take too long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Def. id hope it is the ptu! Replace the sucker

3. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    For those of you that had the 4wd atf low oil pressure, manitteno failure messages, did you notice any oil leak?

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nope never had any leaks on mine

5. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I know you can eliminate the 4 wheel steering by putting the car in 'snow chain mode' via the setup and it doesn't effect the driving mode or power output........for what it's worth.

6. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Dealer diagnosed the error codes and basically there’s a braided line that was faulty and needed to be replaced (which also caused the small leak). Doesn’t appear to be a PTU issue. I’ll pick up the car in a few days and will get more details.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha - now that you mention it P1 In stamford found the same thing in my car / the wire was squashed or something- that cured the 4wd error that was coming up on the screen. Hadnt u mentioned it i dont think i wld have remembered

I never had a leak though

8. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Warning light and small leak due to “high pressure steel braided line from PTU pump to PTU valve ruptured. Replaced high pressure pipe kit. “

About $1800 for labor and parts, covered under warranty so all is good :)

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    from my service record:
    "REPLACE CRUSHED VAC HOSES UNDER INTAKE MANIFOLD, REPLACE SECONDARY AIR HOSES."

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    from my service record:
    "REPLACE CRUSHED VAC HOSES UNDER INTAKE MANIFOLD, REPLACE SECONDARY AIR HOSES."

11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah lets not panic on this, everyone I know that has an FF (2 peeps) and Lusso12 (5 peeps) have had zero PTU issues. I have personally also put 22,000kms on my previous FF and about 14,000kms in 2xLusso12s. Hopefully this is not happening everywhere and Ferrari has figured out a longer term fix for those affected.

Caeruleus11, timjen88, otakki and 3 others like this.
  12. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Sounds like the problems that we had are different, though threw the same error code? I’m no wrench, but does the ptu need a vacuum/air hose?

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes most likely different... So i spoke to my independent:
    “The wire was shorted to ground, which causes an error, and anything on the network for the engine ecu, starts to wig out.”

So if this happens it gives the same error as a bad ptu - 4wd or wet mode error. Definitely worth checking before concluding the ptu needs replacing.

14. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
  15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I wldnt worry about it - low probability it happens. Whats the price on the kit?

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    $20K+

17. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas

Really is that it? Only 200 globally?

How do Ferrari make money on such low volumes?

18. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas

No reason to use PTU in an SUV, when the whole reason Ferrari designed this complex 4WD system was so the engine could be installed low in the car.

A conventional 4WD system makes more sense in an SUV anyway.

19. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I too agree that PTU will not reappear in any future Ferrari. I believe they will adapt the 4 wheel drive system from the SF90S for the FUV.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Yes, and I find it odd that Ferrari intend to do that - if that is *all* they do. Because then it would not be a proper full time 4WD, on this SUV. Perhaps they will have traditional full time 4WD, plus the SF90 system on top. There is no technical reason that can't be done. (Super heavy though.)

Brooklands likes this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My guess is the SUV will use some form of hybrid like we see with SF90. They might have a new technical innovation that allows the system to function at higher speeds (it has to disengage around 125 MPH on SF90). On the other hand, if you're doing 120+ MPH, I don't know how useful the AWD system would be.

Bundy likes this.
  22. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If you are doing 200k on the German Autobahn in the rain, you will be glad to have a full time AWD.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    At those speeds the AWD system doesn't make a difference. The difference is under hard acceleration.

Vladislav Pochuev likes this.
  24. Alimal

Alimal Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alonzo Ali Nassiff
    So I sent my ff up to the dealership with a couple of error codes (manettino failure, 4wd failure etc....). This was after placimg a new battery to no effect. So now they say that the PTU needs to be replaced. Car has 21k miles on it. Has anyone else gone through this?

yamashek likes this.