Too much bling? | FerrariChat

Too much bling?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by italiafan, Dec 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I was buying a Rolex for my wife for Christmas and saw this watch (not my photo) at the AD.
    I must say it is stunning in person, beautiful colors.
    But for a guy who wears Patek mostly this does seem a bit outlandish...blingy. I like the watch but a little concerned that after a few months might feel a little self-conscious wearing it, perhaps “embarrassed.” Also, having been a “stealth wealth” guy when walking around I’m a little concerned about being targeted. (Obviously not worried about it when I roll up in my RC Speciale! :D)
    I know you are watch folks...but what do you think when you see a guy wearing a watch like this...in cargo shorts and a t-shirt no less? :D
    (I think many of you know me well enough to guess that I’m not “shallow” enough to be basing my decision solely on others’ perception, but I am interested in your perspectives.)

2. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Yes....

Less bling is better.

3. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    #3 500drvr, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    italiafan likes this.
  4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I don’t consider that to be too much bling. If you like it then buy it. It’s a very desirable Rolex that I would love to have.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan likes this.
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Yellow and rose gold is always blingy especially in a Rolex professional model since they’re not small watches.

I like white gold for that reason or if you really like rose gold, consider a watch with a leather strap.

italiafan likes this.
  6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That watch is incredible. The older GMT in gold with root beer are even better.
    That said, I would have a hard time wearing it, so if you're not the type, you'd be wasting your money.

italiafan likes this.
  7. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    If you like it -- buy it. Too blingy is diamonds, IMO.

JAM1 and italiafan like this.
  8. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    I think if you have to have an all gold watch, Rolex would be the the one to have. I've always found Rolex's gold to be less in your face as others and when the average person sees a gold Rolex, usually its a, meh, because everyone is so use to them. Personally I prefer the two-tone's just to be a little different.

italiafan likes this.
  9. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    #9 rvp325, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019

Good questions, have a couple thoughts. (1) unless an accessory is an extreme, by and large, most people day-to-day are too focused on themselves to even notice what others are doing, let alone wearing. Especially applicable today since much of the western world is suffering from whiplash, trading glances between their smartphones and smartwatches. But I concede, I still believe that the one accessory we have as men -- our watch -- is to a degree, reflective of not so much our status or wealth, but rather what we appreciate, what we find impressive, what we regard as stylish, what moves us, how much we value time (pun intended), etc. Of course, there are financial parameters many of us are bound by. (2) Re: Rolex, there are many brands out there that are far more exclusive -- common knowledge, even if the brands themselves are elusive to some. Does not change the fact that Rolexes are purpose-built machines that are robust, generally timeless, considered stylish by most, have historical significance, and according to some is actually so well-recognized it can be used as barter/trade in the most dire of circumstances (https://www.businessinsider.com/rolex-for-travel-expert-2017-11).

Since you were/are considering getting a Rolex for you wife, I'll share this: several years ago, I bought a beautiful two-tone Gold/SS ladies Rolex DJ for my wife. Black tapestry dial. She's an ER/Trauma physician and was initially reluctant to wear it to work, not so much because of how it'd be perceived, but rather because she just didn't want to get it dirty (bodily fluids of all kinds, smells and colors permeate the depths of an ER). I told her to get over it. Now this is just personal, our own taste and preference, but I think Rolexes are an ideal blend of utility and elegance. Barring some truly unique, jewel-encrusted and/or celebrity-owned timepieces, they are at a high-enough price point to be "nice"...but solid enough to be worn in the trenches -- like my wife's aforementioned blood-stained Datejust. I think the GMT you're considering for yourself is awesome. I may consider it one day. Maybe I'm a little biased towards Rolex...I never really take off my SS Submariner (black dial) ;)

Happy hunting :)

Post edit: I realize you that may actually have a killer collection already. So this particular Rolex GMT is probably on the basic end of the spectrum for you. But still, it's awesome: GET IT!

italiafan likes this.
  10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful watch. I'm in love with watches again!

italiafan likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thank you for your thought-provoking post!
    I bought myself a Rolex Exp II (white dial...the “polar”) as a Med school graduation gift (both parents dead at the time, so I decided to buy something for myself). Wore it literally 24/7: internship, residency, fellowship, day-night, gym, beach, ocean, tennis, golf for ~ 17-18 years. Then got into Zenith then Patek (Nautilus, and recently added 5205 annual calendar) so now rotate them.
    I adore my ExpII, fabulous watch and exactly as you say: pricey enough to be valuable to a person but not so pricey you won’t wear it in the trenches.
    Never had a gold watch...sort of intrigued and have total respect for Rolex’s image of indestructible quality. I consider their sports watches to be the Porsche 911s of the watch world (Patek is Ferrari).
    Might wait until after holidays are over....and wander into the Rolex dealer again... :)

rvp325 likes this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks all, great thoughts!
    You are helping me formulate thoughts.

13. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    That's a great story man! Love it. What kind of physician are you? I'm a Diagnostic Neuroradiologist. And funny about graduation, I actually bought myself a TAG Aquaracer upon med school graduation back in 2005. Still have it. Totally agree with you with car analogy. 100% spot on. Like you, I own a 911 GTS that's my daily driver...but loving driving the hell out of my 348 Speciale. One's a great, stunning beater...the other is a work of art that needs a bit more TLC.

Im being honest here, not just humble, but Pateks are just at another level. Don't think I'll ever own one. I'm a bottom dweller...or shall I say, "Sea-Dweller"! LOL.

italiafan likes this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Med Onc...about to retire...need a gold Rolex as a retirement gift...lol..:D

15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If you like it, buy and wear in good health. I've got a number of stealth wealth watches and some flashy ones and I wear them all without thought for bling or what people think. The reality is most people have no idea what you're wearing anyhow. It's a great looking watch in rose gold and if you change your mind after a year or two you could sell/trade it without an issue so there's really no downside to buying it.

italiafan likes this.
  16. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    My wife gave me a stainless/gold GMT Rolex when I turned 50. It is a big watch and when I started wearing it, I felt like everyone was noticing my watch. But really it was me noticing my watch. After 10 years, it looks just like it did when it was new. It is my daily watch I wear no matter what I am doing. I have other watches that to me are more dressy/fancy, but most of the time, the GMT will be on my wrist. No regrets.

italiafan, ronfrohock and Red 27 like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith