Do you think that the price Ferrari would be less if they starts producing with robots? | FerrariChat

Do you think that the price Ferrari would be less if they starts producing with robots?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sellatease, Dec 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sellatease

Sellatease Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Nigeria
    Full Name:
    Alpha Donald
    I have this question to ask. Do you guys think that Ferrari will reduce the price of their cars if they start producing with robots or any other mass production means ? How possible is this and do you see this coming anytime soon?

2. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    I doubt they would be cheaper. If they used robots it would likely be to reduce costs/increase profit. But there would be the question of how Ferrari customers would respond to them using robots. The customers might not like it. When I last did the factory tour a few years ago they were just using robots to install the windshield. Same for Porsche.

3. Sellatease

Sellatease Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Nigeria
    Full Name:
    Alpha Donald
    Yes.. The users will not like that.

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Luxury products cease to become desirable if
    1. There was no shortage. ie. there's enough for everyone
    2. Less expensive.

Folks don't aspire to have an unobtainium (Patek, Burkin Bag, Ferrari) because it's affordable. They want it because everyone wants it and only a few can get it.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've always said Ferrari should let Toyota build its cars and slip em the back door.

ewright and paulchua like this.
  6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Alot of Ferrari production is already robotized. Look up Ferrari factory videos. If you were expecting some old classical Italian workshop, you'll be surprised.

Robots should be welcomed. They make less mistakes than humans.

7. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You could always program the robots to make a globby weld over there, miss a stitch over here, place a slight paint run on a lower door panel, and put a badge on slightly askew, to give new Ferraris that old world charm.

rampante550, ewright, mwr4440 and 2 others like this.
  8. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    They are priced on what people are prepared to pay .You just keep increasing the price until people stop buying .At that point ease back to meet the supply / demand dynamics, for a fixed relatively small production number .circa 6000 units pa .
    They don’t keep the same costed out price + profit , then increase build numbers , outsourcing factories WW to meet demand like say Ford .

How they are made what goes on in the factory is irrelevant to the sticker prices .If anything the driver in robotics is just quality that’s all ......even panel gaps , even paint , straighter chassis etc not lower production costs .In fact due to the low volumes the savings will be insignificant because of the cap ex and maintenance of the robots .......can’t be returned with such tiny numbers .

Knocking out a million BMWs pa is another matter .

Ferrari customers don’t give a toss how they are made .The brand image is uber controlled .Waiting list massaged deliberately.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    When was the last time you saw the list price really reduced on anything. Once a base price is set, it seems to only go up.

Robb

ewright and Texas Forever like this.
  10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Part of the Ferrari mystique is exclusivity....that means high prices. If everybody had one it would be like those common everyday hu-hum cars aka Porsche.

paulchua, Robb and Texas Forever like this.
  11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No but they would be much higher quality.

EnzoItaly, Texas Forever and BOKE like this.
  12. Sellatease

Sellatease Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Nigeria
    Full Name:
    Alpha Donald
    Yes, you made a nice point.

13. Sellatease

Sellatease Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Nigeria
    Full Name:
    Alpha Donald
    I really love those hand welds. They are always awesome. Hand crafted models are superb.

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I didn't see any welding at the factory.....all assembly on a mechanized assembly line. The chassis are built somewhere else. While we were there a truck with no name on the side pulled in and started unloading bare frames. Even the paint shop has robots. While not Toyota.....I'm not sure what else they would automate. The most time consuming labor I saw was leather cutting (automated), sewing and glueing.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Or, they're programmed to make the same or obvious mistakes many times.

16. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Hah. Porsches are very good cars. Very reliable also and quiet practical for personalisation and performance modifications.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have owned quite a few Pcars. But I see several everyday. Fcars are much more rare and thus more special.

Texas Forever and ChadR like this.
  18. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    While higher quality is good for buyers, Ferrari will only care if buyers stop buying due to poor quality.
    Ferrari has buyers lining up out the door, down the block, around the corner.
    I don't think quality is one of their top concerns.

19. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'm not sure robots could address the quality problems at Ferrari. For example: sticky switches. For almost 30 years this problem is synonymous on this forum with owning a Ferrari. Ferrari doesn't make the switches but it does specify how they are made. You would think that after 30 years of complaints someone would hit Google translate and figure out how to solve the problem. Note to Ferrari: No one buys a Ferrari because the electrical switches "feel great" and "get gooey" over time.

Same thing goes for the computer controlled items in the car. Ferrari doesn't make a single one of them but it does specify the software that runs on them. Nothing is more frustrating than an F1 car that decides not to go into gear. Imagine yourself having a wonderful dinner at a posh restaurant and waiting for the valet to bring your car up as you leave only to be told: "it won't go into gear". The system is unforgiving and you are stuck with spending the rest of the evening getting the car towed and catching an Uber home.

Robots can't fix what they are not programmed to fix. If Ferrari management doesn't care about it.....nothing changes.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  20. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Ferraris are the best and most reliable on the planet. Remember, you can live in a ferrari, but you can't drive a house.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No..you could not live in a ferrari. Let's be real about this.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Ferrari has the highest profit per unit in the entire automotive industry.
    Cars would be significantly cheaper if they lowered their mark up to other's level.
    They don't have to, since their entire production sells before even leaving the factory.
    Their production is already robotized to a level matching Porsche etc.

23. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ferrari has a modern factory including robotics for much of production.

If you want to see a car company make things in 18th century 3rd world conditions, tour the Tesla factory.

INRange likes this.
  24. pigpump

pigpump Rookie

Jan 9, 2015
    Tom Bakowsky, can you message me? I cannot figure out how to send messages. Thanks, Mike

25. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Yet they were still able to take over the automobile industry with electric cars...