Cannonball Run 1979 Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cannonball Run 1979 Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by timr, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Tommy, I don't know if the entire route we took is still in existence (and we didn't have binoculars or a CB radio), but to answer your question: yes, I honestly believe that with the same purely stock car (and without all the modern electronic wizardry, spotter cars and aircraft), we could now beat 36 hours.

The problem, of course, would be avoiding gunpoint arrests which would reduce the elapsed time by several hours, because in the same car we couldn't drive any faster. For example, despite the fact that we had the speedo firmly planted on the 120 peg for the entire race, we were clocked by radar at 110 on all of our speeding tickets. Thus 120 on the Caddy's speedo was likely only 110 which was obviously the car's limit. That fact wouldn't change.

We discussed this topic a few years back at Brock's home in Wyoming, NY (before his Alzheimer's took over) after a reunion dinner. Even Dan agreed that he could set a faster time. Despite taking the Daytona up to 175 on a little used CA road, he was constrained from taking risks back in '71 because this was after all an "outlaw" street race, the national speed limit was only 55, and he was a F1 driver with a reputation as an American folk hero. Brock agreed. The intervening years would not have had an impact.

BTW, I drive over 3,000 interstate highway miles every year, and I honestly do not see any increase in police presence now than in days of yore...maybe even less. And I've never, ever seen a Smokey in the sky. Anyway I'll never be able to empirically validate my answer to your question because that old Caddy is not likely still in existence and, more importantly, it wasn't even ours!

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    As a coincidence, I am reading this sitting next to David Klink who was part of the 28:50 trip. He is telling our Mercedes Xmas luncheon this moment how their record was just beaten.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm reading the book now and about 2/3 through. Amazingly some here were actually involved, but the first few races were not during the 55 mph national speed limit. That happened in 74. I do love the cadillac story.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  5. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Damn, you cut me out of the photo. I was sitting next to Brock's wife, Lady Pamela (in the yellow shirt), at the autograph table.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That means you signed my book/poster too!

Cool!