Factory Five F9R 'Supercar' | FerrariChat

Factory Five F9R 'Supercar'

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Dec 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #1 BJK, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    idk about this. how can what looks like a 60s era tube frame ever compare to modern carbon fiber tub? or even aluminum like lotus? plus their priority is to make it so home builder can put it together. someone needs to offer a cf tub kit car. should be even easier to do since cf is so light and would eliminate much of the assembly compared to tubes.

ghibliman likes this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #3 BJK, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    That's like arguing: why buy a $75k, C8 Corvette when you can buy a $275k, Ferrari 488. Whole nother price point.
    That being said, I don't think I would want to spend $60-$75K (?) (kit plus drivetrain) for one of these over a used C7 or even used C8. You are building something custom, rare and unique, but ....

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #4 boxerman, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    ghibliman likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Crazy motor! How can that even fit into a car? Looks like belongs in offshore racing boat

6. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Great post. Thanks, Boxerman.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Track car- okay.
    Street car with insurance -getting harder.

State of Georgia as an example has been making it very difficult to register and operate kit cars on public roads.
    We are not the only State with this issue, and then you have to get insurance on your toy.

- Oh... don't forget the 8% property tax Georgia wants.

They use NADA . Car not in the system:
    A) You cant register it to operate on public roads.
    B) They make up a tax value and dont care what MSRP for the kit /car is or what you paid for it.
    C) The emissions test ??????? See "A".

So I really don't see the point in these ultra kits anymore unless the owner has gobs of $$$ to spend and wants a very specific track car.

I know people with jet airplane money who are avoiding fun cars over a certain value and performance mark because we / they don't want to deal with the idiots that make up Georgia DMV.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    For "affordable" CF tub cars, the easiest route would be to buy an Alfa 4C and put on new body panels and engine swap. I hope it doesn't catch on as I like the 4c the way it is and don't want the few there are to be cut up.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody done this yet, and you still then have to deal with the bendy strut suspension..
    Theres hope maserati will offer such a machine

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Florida SC etc easy. In florida it cost $400 and youre good to go.
    I know texas is real difficult too.

The issue though is one of development. On track there are so many pieces that will stress and fail. A vette or porche have been tested to last 100k miles on the street so can last 20k on track. Kits cars tend to have lots of littile failure points and points of aggravation when tracked, thats assuming dynamics have been worked out.

The few factory 5 919's Ive seen on track are owned by mechanical engineers and they tend to be well devloped past the factory kit in myriad ways to work, and yet theres always something to do.

One could say the same about many a race car too, but thats expected there.. Point is not many kit cars are developed to the degree of a manufactuerer product like say a vette or Gt3., In some cases maybe after they have to be in production many years with feedback and improvements from the customer they reach a level of track robustness.

This car looks not too dissimilar to the perana which was a zagato design breifly marketed before the recession.

Cool concept, something to build in the garage, awesome cruiser, and that motor, ryan falconer had a similar concept years ago for even more $$, but this one is a near crate motor. I can think of lots of fun things to put that in.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The guys at Royalty Exotic Cars in Vegas are doing it. Took 4C and removed everything in the back and did new framework there and put in a 5.2L V10 from a Lambo with TT. They also did new suspension in the front and rear. They don't post much about it on their YouTube channel for whatever reason. He says he's spent over $1 mil so far on the prototype...really only the tub, steering, and windshield are reused and everything else is custom.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Wow.

I always thought this tub with wish bones and the Alfa TTv6 would be all the car one could want.

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It’s a cool concept, but if building a kit I’d rather have an SLC or just a FF GT40. I I do think that the FFR pick up kit is really cool though.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Have you ever seen a SLC at the track? the FFGT40 I know of two built for track use that never quite worked out.
    Probably the most developed of these in this category is the ultima. Cool road cars one and all.
    Even if you look at Sin cars, which were developed to race, they took a good few years of racing failures to get to track reliability.

Meanwhile I keep thinking about what that V12 should go in(besides a 7/8 scale p51).

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    u used to see 2 different ultimas at track days and they literally never did more than few laps before breaking down. was always something.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yep, very few of these cars are developed to a level of track durability and reliability that a
    Full fledged manufacturer can achieve. And even then most cars needs upgrades to work on track.
    Me thinks this factory 5 car would need lots of work and development to work on track.amd even then.
    But it may be a cool road car.

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What’s a FFGT40?

Matt

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Factory five ford gt kit car?

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yes

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Factory Five never made a GT40. They made what they called the GTM.

Matt

BJK likes this.
  22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Superformance cars are completely different. They’re imported from South Africa as a rolling chassis. When it arrives, the owner needs to add and engine and (I believe) transmission. It’s actually quite complete down to the paint.

I’ll let others who know better comment on their track durability. But it’s not as good as original cars. I know that much.

Factory Five has done a wonderful job of making kit cars that use commonly found parts with a pretty good dose of originality for the price. I helped to build a roadster once, which is their Cobra replica, although they couldn’t use that name.

I think this new FF car is really interesting. As is that V-12!

Matt

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    the factory 5 gtm started as a Gt40 rep. They ran into trademark issues and changed the shape into what we now know as the gtm. There were two at my track, they never really worked without bits needing attention.

the factory 5 roadster is what we might call a silouhette car as in it more or less looks like a historic car but is very different. As an example the ff roadster has a solid rear axle and very different frame and suspension.

the spf Gt40 does not hold up on Track, it’s really a road car that is dImensionaly correct using similar construct to originals but missing some bits and different materials.

the gt40s that do work on track come from telescope in the uk which builds very correct cars very well but for 2-3x the cost of a spf car. Lee Holman also builds a great gt40 for gelescoe money. I guess there’s a mess on or two they cost more.