Poll: Is an EV Ferrari still a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Poll: Is an EV Ferrari still a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by C50, Dec 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is an EV Ferrari still a Ferrari?

1. Yes, even with no ICE, it's still a Ferrari

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Maybe, it depends... (please explain)

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. No; without an ICE, it's just an exercise in branding

71 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #1 C50, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    What do you think?
    Obviously, such a machine does not yet exist.
    We don't know how it would be executed, nor if it would ultimately replace all ICE.
    I think it's an interesting question.
    If you remove the ICE from a Ferrari, and it's pure electric, is it still a Ferrari?
    Does it depend? If so, how?
    If they design and build the batteries and motors in-house?
    If the architecture is based on a successful hybrid, just without the ICE?
    If the factory says it's a Ferrari? If they say, "this pure electric vehicle delivers the innovative performance and competition-inspired driving excitement that people have associated with the Ferrari marque for decades...," are you in agreement?

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    My vote: Nope.
    Maybe after there are no ICE for many years and EV is all there is, perhaps the next generation would accept an EV Ferrari as a Ferrari.
    For me, it's a bridge too far. The ICE is too essential, in my view, to the identity of the vehicle to accept one without it.

jjtjr likes this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    No. No further embellishment needed.

C50 likes this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If its built by the company named Ferrari, then it is a Ferrari. Nothing anybody can do about it. If Ferrari made a purse..it would be a ferrari purse..etc.

308 milano, vraa, Tony91505 and 8 others like this.
  5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Only have to look at Formula E...total rubbish that no one wants to watch.Imagine how uninteresting a road car would be, unless you just want an appliance to transport you from A to B.

So yes it would be known as a Ferrari ,appliance.

jehu999 likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agree with this.

It is what is is whether we agree with it or like it (or not).

The thought however does come to mind, is there not a quote to the effect of you're buying an engine and getting the car for free?

Based on that an electric Ferrari should either be really cheap or be making dramatic leaps in technology in regard to electric motors. :D

Tony91505 and paulchua like this.
  7. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Some don't consider anything other a V12 a Ferrari.
    Enzo himself said horse should pull the cart.
    He also said “Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.”

He signed off on the F40: V8, cart before horse, with aero.

You can be stuck in the past, or you can change. Enzo himself changed his mind on what a Ferrari should be.

8. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting question. If you say No, then by extension a Mercedes EV is not really a Mercedes, a Porsche EV is not really a Porsche, and so on. It would mean EVs lead to a complete commoditization of automobiles, with no differentiation other than as you say a brand, and that would portend massive industry consolidation. I don’t see that happening. Multiple manufacturers will still need to make millions of EVs a year, and they will find ways to differentiate and compete.

paulchua likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> If you say No, then by extension a Mercedes EV is not really a Mercedes, a Porsche EV is not really a Porsche, and so on.

Since Ferrari is primarily an engine company, and since the motor parts will almost surely be from another company, an electric Ferrari is likely to have the same motor and control electronics as that Mercedes, Porsche and Toyota for that matter. So if you consider Ferrari primarily an engine company, electrifying will kill the soul of the company.

It may say Ferrari on the outside but on the inside, it will be generic automobile.

IloveGT, mwr4440 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    In theory it will still be a Ferrari just as all the other cheap **** they put their name on to make a quick buck like coffee mugs, etc.

But in reality it won't be. Just as Sports Illustarted's fat cover model. In name she is the SI cover model but in the real world everyone knows it's a sham.

papou, TheMayor, Flea7 and 2 others like this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think they can start selling completely electric Ferraris only when they start properly racing with the same technology. Until F1 and Wec use ICEs, and Formula E keeps being a total joke, bring on the noise!

paulchua likes this.
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Just clip playing cards to the fenders so they make a noise when they contact the wheel spokes

(like we used to do with our bicycles; oops, showing my age!)

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This made me laugh, and I agree with you 100%

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There is a YouTube video somewhere around this site with an interview with Pierro.

Asked, "what would your dad have thought about electric?"

His answer was Enzo would undeniably embrace it if it meant a faster car.

I know we all have our opinions, but I don't think any of us have credibility above Enzo's only surviving son.

Let me see if I can find the video.

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This discussion reminds me loss of manual transmissions. I get it, nothing can replace the satisfaction of a perfectly timed shift with that soul tingling click-clink. When F1 went to full paddle, Ferrari must follow.

To me the very ethos of Ferrari is racing above all. So I agree with @Igor Ound , if racing in F1 evolves to pure electric, Ferrari should evolve as well. Not before then.

Caeruleus11 and Igor Ound like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is already the case today though. I agree the engine needs to be forged in Maranello, but most the electrics are out sourced. Many from Bosch, Denso, heck, I even have some Kia cross parts!!!

EastMemphis and Boomhauer like this.
  17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm inclined to believe Pierro said that only in an effort to convince himself.

I don't believe that the man who lived by "aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." would be so quick to adopt EV. If anything Enzo was very stubborn to change and only did so after it was proven and tested. Otherwise he would have gone the aero/lighter route immediately instead of being stubborn. :)

18. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    he may not adopt it quickly but he wanted to remained at the top; therefore he eventually did. He did changed with the times sooner or later. Had he remained stubborn, we would be desiring a very different automotive brand.

HotShoe and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't take offense to the following, not personal; I just place credibility on Pierro above others here.

"I think he would be very happy with Ferrari. He would been happy with the technological developments as well. He would have been fascinated with angle of producing hybrid or electric vehicles. He would have been the first to do it. He would have been the first to look to the future."

-Piero Ferrari

The most important thing to notice here is the video was created before all these current changes, it was made years before hybrids/electric cars were more common. So it can't be Pierro trying to justify current changes.
    (start at 5:00 if you want to skip to Pierro's comments)

jm2 and HotShoe like this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    No offense taken, this is all in good fun. :)

I just think an electric Ferrari will be about as successful as the electric Harley Davidson, or at least I hope so! ;)

I get the faster argument but there comes a point where "faster" is irrelevant IMO. Look at the current dismal state of F1. Technically the cars are faster but the racing/experience is at an all time low. Nearly everyone laments the passing of the V10's & V12's . At the Finali Mondiali a few years back the old cars drew the biggest crowds and applause.

I hope that by the time most people can afford a Ferrari they have matured enough that they don't fret over hundredths of a second. The overall experience is more important IMO than 0-60 or lap times. Lol, most new cars just go from the garage to the latest chic restaurant anyways. I'm not so sure "fastest" is a priority to most these days.

It's an entirely different buyer than it was in the late 90's, most of these new age foo foo's won't go to the track because it's "dirty" and there are no VIP mimosas. :) Who knows though, maybe these types will flock to electric? Maybe that will be the next big wealth signal/humble brag, "My new eco-Ferrari saves the world and pleases Queen Greta!"

Given the nature of today's youth you have to wonder if it evens matters. They don't seem interested in anything other than gadgets. If anything future Ferrari's might just be glorified rolling iPads with the logo on it.

paulchua likes this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It depends on which side of the Dino vs Ferrari side you are on.

If you are on the side where a Dino is a Ferrari, then the kind of propulsion does not matter.
    If you are on the side where a Ferrari has a V12, then it is not a Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  22. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Of course it is a Ferrari if made by Ferrari, just not an F car for me!

23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Yeah, I think that’s the bottom line for me.
    If they say it’s a Ferrari, well, sure, it’s a Ferrari (although I think branded tchotchkes like handbags and EVs should be in air-quotes)
    It’s just not a Ferrari for me.

I keep thinking about the Bugatti in the film Elysium (nice bit of brand placement that).
    If Ferrari had done it, I would say “cool future Ferrari, I want one.”
    Is it ICE? Hell no and who cares; it’s a space car. It’s the future, after skipping a few generations.
    An EV is a little too close to ICE, a little too Uncanny Valley for my liking.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Eventually people may stop buying your core products, because something better come along or the market simply changes.

IBM makes type writer - makes also computers and now sells web services
    Apple makes personal computer - now sells phones, among other things like music
    Amazon sells books online - now sells other things besides books. Also dabble in different services.
    Michael Jordan is a basketball player - now sells shoes
    Kodak is a camera company - didn’t evolve because film is forever.

sometimes people and companies evolve with time to some else in order to stay relevant.

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And since I already have a nice Hoover vacuum cleaner, I have no need for one that says Ferrari.