458 - NEED HELP! Low Oil Pressure | FerrariChat

458 NEED HELP! Low Oil Pressure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 3POINT8, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Please help -

I was driving to work today and the oil light came on and a minute later it says turn engine off low oil pressure. The oil pressure gauge was at or slightly above zero. The dial then disappeared.

I pulled over and found I was low on oil. I last got the oil changed in February of last year and have put 3500 miles on it since. I was able to get a ride to the store and back and it took one quart to get back to min and two more quarts to get to full.

I then drove it about 3 miles into work. The low oil pressure light flashed again and advised me to turn the engine off. The gauge showed it was slightly above zero and then the dial disappeared.

I waited about four hours and the light still comes on.

The car ran fine. I am not sure if this is just a sensor going bad or what. I parked the car because I didn't want to blow it up.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!! Thanks.

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Have it flat bedded to your Indy mechanic or nearest dealer for troubleshooting and hope it’s just a sensor. I wouldn’t start it again.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's probably just the sensor, but that would be a very expensive guess if you were wrong.
    Have it checked, don't assume anything, just in case the oil pump went bad.

4. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    If you checked 100% that oil is there to the max level, do not push the engine and look ASAP for what’s causing the alarm but peace of mind, oil do not disappear.

I check oil level every time I use the car, 1min operation.

5. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I can’t speak from experience on the 458 but on my 360 the sensor went bad and caused the warning light to come on. I am not sure if they share the same sensor but it seemed to be a common issue at least on the 360.

Was the oil level checked with the engine running?

6. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Mine had faulty low readings, had the car checked. All pressures etc were fine. Sensor replaced and turns out sensor was ok. Appears it was a minor fault within the instrument cluster which is a simple fix

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    cool thanks guys. yes i check oil while engine was running. it was fine on oil and wasn't leaking and ran fine. I went with the suggestions and had it towed to the shop as i did not want to take the risk.

nothing sadder than seeing your ferrari being towed away...

8. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    Experienced the same issue(s).
    I confirmed it was indeed a faulty oil pressure sender, most likely your same problem.

I verified oil pressure by removing the temperature sensor and installing a manual oil pressure gauge purchased from Amazon for $28.00
    Oil pressure sensor is now ordered from Ricambi as it is 1/2 price vs dealer.

A bit tight getting to-things as I have a spider, but if you are mechanical it can be a DIY project.

As I await the sensor I installed a 10k rotary pot and set the oil pressure to 70 psi.... to trick the computer and eliminate the low oil alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Kainedogg

Kainedogg Rookie

Jan 5, 2008
    ALDIE, VA
    What is a 10k rotary pot?

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    10kohm potentiometer or adjustable resistor. It has a small screw head on top so you can adjust it. Not sure where to put it though.

11. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    I had the same Problem.
    Disconnect the Oil Sensor Plug.
    Connect it.thats it

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The oil pressure sensor is an easy fix. Remove the electrical connector. Remove the bad sensor and replace with the good one,
    Everything is located near the oil fill reservoir. Check out the car diagrams which can be found on the Ricambi America web site.

no shame in asking your service center to do the work

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yeah i had it towed in to my indie. i probably should man up and do it myself but it also needed its annual service so i justified it that way (although i probably should learn how to do the fluids myself too) - i change the oil on my porsche fwiw