Things Just Got Real | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Things Just Got Real

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You can give us the first review of 720s vs pista. You will be a very credible person to write such review in comparison to those who own either one or neither one.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Way too early to tell. I literally drove the Pista 10 miles. From the dealership to dinner with friends and then home. And then this morning to the PPF shop where the car will sit for the next few days.

I haven't pushed the pista at all but some early and very initial impressions:

1- 720 feels more nimble. The Pista feels very planted. Hard to describe but the 720 has the edge on my initial impressions due to the carbon tub. You can feel the weight difference and the responsiveness. This doesnt mean the Pista is a slouch- its more visceral, its louder, definitely more raw. So no major advantage to either- both are fast as hell - the 720 just feels a bit lighter.

2- Build quality- Ferrari has tremendous build quality- the car is just beautifully built. Very high level of materials used inside and out. The carbon is gorgeous. Solidly built car.

3- Ergonomics- I didnt get apple car play, or the high end stereo in my car, or home link or any other junk. Just seemed frivolous in a track focused raw car. So ergonomics are a bit more simple. The 720 is slightly gimmicky- with the folding dash and the big iris display. not that I don't like it but it makes sense in a 720 which is a super car that you can drive daily vs a Pista which again is more track oriented.

4- Acceleration - too early to tell. Haven't pushed the Pista at all but 720 from my very initial impressions feels quicker- again- have not pushed pista at all.

5- Sound- Pista hands down. not even close

6- Looks- love em both. Cant say one looks better than the other. Both are gorgeous in their own right.

Please take these early impressions on acceleration and nimbleness with a grain of salt. Like I said- I just havent pushed the car at all and have very few miles. I get the car back friday but then im gone for 5 days so more to come on performance of the Pista towards the end of the month.

Having said all this- my first 24 hours with the Pista I just freaking love! Its a machine, a beast, and has presence. The stripes and the aggressive carbon just make it look like a spaceship!

3. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    SoCal to az likes this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy

Thanks but as you said way too early to get any performance comparisons. Can’t wait until you get back and have a chance to really run the car hard. And remember you need to give me some videos!

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My Pista just went stage 92. In New Jersey. Another TDF on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds, Bhh, FordGTDriver and 2 others like this.
  6. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
  7. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I like that a lot !

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Just went to check on the car as its getting paint corrected and wrapped. Im thoroughly impressed by the crew. I've never seen a surface of a car so pristine after paint correction. Well done. any local Scottsdale folks ping me - The work is superb so far! Couple more days of spa treatment and Ill get it back. This has been the most ******** anticlimactic delivery as I got it and it went straight to paint correction and wrap. lol. I want my car and I want it now!! ha

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Extremely stunning So Cal to Az!!!!

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nice! I’ll look for ya at the Jan CnC and get your feedback on the shop!

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Get your paint corrected on these cars folks. Here are some before pics prior to polishing. All this is buffed out and cleaned up prior to getting the wrap put on. Im gonna have to redo my 720 wrap after seeing this. They said I didnt need it on that car but after seeing this, im pissed I didnt do it before. After the wrap we will ceramic coat the whole thing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    looks very good to me!
    Congratulations

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I have seen worse on the Pista. I could be wrong but that's been done by the dealer that is the fine scratches. Im seeing pits like the cars ive seen. If you magnify it you can see its in the paints, pits. I hope not in your car.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I opened a shop earlier this year to do this kind of work as me and many of my friends could not find a decent shop locally. I will be lucky to break even btw. :) Anyways, we have Ferraris coming through there regularly and they do require a fair bit of work - some worse than others. The darker colors are definitely more challenging. It is interesting to see the disparity of the paint quality between the different brands, so far Lambo seems to be the best but not my much. The McLaren paint is not bad and if properly corrected will look incredible, certain colors will just pop.

of2worlds and SoCal to az like this.
  15. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    No manufacturer can possibly invest the time it takes to perform paint correction properly. They largely use rotary polishers as opposed to dual action polishers, they polish very quickly and those scratches and swirls are the result. And then dealers tend to make it worse. As SoCal is experiencing, a proper job takes several DAYS. Film and ceramic coatings simply preserve and protect the paint ... if not properly corrected first they will simply lock in the mess beneath. Some are better than others but none are perfect from the factory. Quality detailers are true artists, though it ain’t cheap. Like anything else in life you get what you pay for. SoCal she’s looking good ... can’t wait for the extended driving impression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  16. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    And if you wonder how or why it could possibly take so long and cost so much, check out White Details on YouTube (no affiliation). The man is a perfectionist and does a great job of explaining each step. AmmoNYC and Obsessed Garage are also great channels to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So this is the first car that I’ve gone all the way with this car- paint correct, wrap and ceramic coat.

My Mclaren and Porsche’s I only did wrap. Didn’t realize what a difference paint correct would make.

My 488, I bought used and really my first super car and I just wrapped it.

Knowing how bad the paint is I’m almost considering buying a black car. While I love the look of a clean black car I hate the way they look when dirty and how quickly they get dirty.

I’m almost thinking to get a black car and maybe not wrap it as it will just be a beater for daily driving but paint coreect it and ceramic coat it.

Will that solve my black car blues or will a black car just always be difficult?

18. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Black cars are a part time job.
    If you will leave the car as a beater with no correction, wrap or coat, and you don't care how dirty it is, go for it.
    If you care in the least how it looks, you may wish to wrap it after the correction just to avoid the inevitable swirls from even intermittent and gentle washing.
    Ceramic coat will make the dirt slower to accumulate but won't protect the paint when you wash.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I was so very lucky with my car , actually they did very little to correct. The best paint jobs ive see are Aston Martin by far.

You sound like the shick owner , like the product that much that you bought the company :)

of2worlds likes this.
  20. With cars, black is not a color.

It's a hobby.

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lots of little issues there- my dealer mentioned a lot of Pista's that came in required correction. Some extremely fine grit wet sanding was even needed in some cases.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I always wanted to do something I love and finally pulled the trigger on opening a Performance, Restyling and Detail shop. We have big plans to offer sales, private memberships, etc. The idea of having a place where likeminded people can go hang out, smoke a cigar have some scotch while getting their cars worked on always appealed to me. In the process I have learned quite a bit about the detailing process, paint corrections, ppf and other related services.

MANDALAY, stavura, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I can share my experience with a black F car as I’m on my third one. After color correction and a full wrap plus a ceramic coating it’s very easy to maintain. Mostly just use a California Duster and if it’s dirty I use Griots. Other than that a wax now and again. I have also used Plexus. Best ,Kirk

SoCal to az likes this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! !!!!! Beauty!!!

Black car will always be hard, ceramic might help you if your weather is mild. Where I live with 4 seasons and real heavy road salts and grime, the ceramic might remain, but its obvious hydrophobic feel and look evaporate quickly.

Ive come to the conclusion the best thing for daily drivers is to do nothing. Just keep them reasonably clean, go to the car wash. Live with whatever happens. You have the special cars in the garage!

Bravo!

25. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    That is awesome, and sounds like a great experience!

Gh21631 likes this.