Looking for 348 / 355 ABS Teves Pump | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Looking for 348 / 355 ABS Teves Pump

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Correct it's not an obd car but it does have engine ecus, abs ecu, etc. Surely there must be a diagnostic tool that communicates with these systems?

I'm asking about a 355 in any case

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is no tool. There is a complete manual that tells you how to troubleshoot the system. The flashing light tells you the trouble codes.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh well there may be the confusion. The 355 was Teves for a short period perhaps < 1 year or so, not entirely sure, and is the same as the 348, Mitchell is right no fancy tools. AFTER the Teves years with Bosch in the 355 it's different there is diagnostic with scan tool yes which may be what your thinking in which case it is not Teves and this post is irrelevant.

Teves = old school
    Bosch = new school

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Teves was on for all 1995 355s and most of 96 355s as well.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I first depressurise the system (get the old fluid out of the accumulator), then suck all old fluid from the reservoir. When you then pour fresh fluid into the reservoir and start bleeding with the key in "acc", the pump will suck fresh fluid and expel the old fluid which was in it into the accumulator. Then switch the key to "off" and continue with pumping the pedal to expel the small amount of old fluid (that came in from the pump) into the line being bled. You can repeat bleeding with ignition in "acc" and "off" a few times to make sure all old fluid has been pushed into the brake line and out from the bleed nipple. It is better to extend the overall bleeding process somewhat after the clean fluid shows coming out of the bleed nipple to ensure good flush everywhere. I don't mind using double the quantity of fresh fluid than what is required to fully flush the system (2 Lit instead of 1 Lit, fluid is cheap).

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I guess that would save some brake fluid. :) But after that I don't see the point of turning the ignition on an off. With the ignition at ACC, once brake pedal is depressed, opening the rear bleed screws will expel fluid from the accumulator and rear lines and calipers. As the pressure drops the pump will cycle on, recharging the accumulator and expelling more fluid from the rear.

What do you gain by switching on and off and pumping the brake?

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    After you have depressurised the system the first time, all old fluid will be out of the accumulator. When you then switch the ignition to "acc", the pump will push the residual old fluid from itself, and from the suction line reservoir-pump and push it into the accumulator which will later mix with the fresh fluid coming from the pump. In order to expel this mix from the accumulator, you need to continue the bleeding (pumping the pedal) with the ignition "off" so that the accumulator can expel the mix into the MC and the line you are bleeding. The next ign' "acc" will probably push only fresh fluid into the accumulator but I would repeat the cycle at least one more time. If you just do the bleeding with the ignition continuously at "acc" the accumulator will not be completely emptied (as the pump will come on before that, probably when the accumulator is half-empty) so some old-new mix will remain inside the accumulator.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I see your point. Seems the difference is just how many cycles you would have to go through to refresh the accumulator. If you assume the accumulator empties 1/2 on each cycle then the amount of old fluid would be 1/2^n where n is the number of charging cycled. So 5 cycles you would have about 3% old fluid. I just open the rear bleed, depress the pedal and let it do it's thing. Probably takes a little more fluid to flush than the way you are describing. :)

9. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Brackets are complete. I'm very pleased with how they came out and hope everyone else is as well.
    Anyone who just wanted brackets, they will be shipping out. I am still waiting for the pressure lines to come in so the complete kits aren't quite ready. As soon as I have the lines they will be going out as well. Everyone will be getting emails with tracking info once they ship.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, jeffdavison and 05elise like this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Love the laser seams for the bends, well done.

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well technically the 348 IS an OBD car, it’s just OBD 1 not the advanced OBD 2 that became mandatory in the US in 96.

It has On Board Diagnostics (OBD) but you get codes from counting flashes after triggering the self diagnostic. No way to plug into it but they (engine ECUs) have removable chips you can pull out and reprogram etc.

12. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I just received my kit and the quality of the bracket and hoses is really good. It all looks factory OEM and will blend in seamlessly with the brake pump and car. Thanks again for putting together this kit!

Qavion and User-C3 like this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got mine, I'll go one more, it was packaged and finished like a commercial product, there was more effort in this kit than was really needed, so I for one appreciate it Trevor! Top shelf.

User-C3 and 05elise like this.
  14. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks guys, I'm very happy to get the feedback

15. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Qavion likes this.
  16. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Big bump here...Pumps still available, somewhere? If needed, any bracket kits remaining.

Qavion likes this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It gets harder and harder to find them ...

18. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Motor fine....pump output zilch!

19. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I do still have kits available yes.

20. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I may want to snag one of those kits for the future insurance. I'm almost positive I have the Teves system in my 355. Which is a 97 model so that seems oddly late or past the switchover to bosch timeline.

User-C3 likes this.