430 - F1 Shifting Issue | FerrariChat

430 F1 Shifting Issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ferrari Now or Never, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr
    I've had my 2005 F430 for seven years and it's lots of fun. Recently, however, I've been encountering F1 shifting problems after driving 20 minutes or so. The car will not downshift from 4th to 3rd; instead, it goes into neutral. Once that happens, it's difficult to get back into a decent gear. Hitting the upshift paddle usually gets 5th. If I'm going slow enough, I can get 2nd. The same problem exists in Auto mode, which I seldom use. While this is happening, the gear indicator light flashes in 4th. Because of the problem, I've found myself in some difficult (embarrassing) situations, like accelerating out of a slow corner in 5th!

The car was serviced last August by Ferrari of LA, at which time the problem was intermittent. They couldn't find anything wrong, either diagnostically or during a test drive. But the problem has become more consistent and I'll need to take the car back in.

The F1 pump runs about 3 seconds when I open the door, the same as it always has, so it may not be the problem. It must be another expensive part (accumulator, actuator, etc.). There are no shifting issues while the car is warming up. Also, since the service, I notice a strong chemical odor coming from the car when it's parked in the garage after a drive. It smells like engine de-greaser or WD40. Could it be from leaking hydraulic fluid?

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    There are numerous threads on this topic, unfortunately, most often without a clear solution path. I'm still struggling with my '06 F430, after thinking we finally had it sorted (documented on this thread > https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-f1-shifting-woes.608033/ ). Quite a few F430 owners wind up throwing expensive parts at the problem (usually a new hydraulic pump or maybe just the pump motor) without actually getting at the root cause of the problem. Dealer service experiences frequently appear to be just as frustrating (and even more costly).

There appear to be a very few F1 savvy folks that seem to be well acquainted with this issue and knowledgeable enough to methodically diagnose what aspect of the F1 transmission is causing the issue. I did pay for a consult with http://craig-waterman.com/?p=584 and felt he gave me some good suggestions for trying to narrow down the problem. We did discover the leak rate for the ediff valve was above the recommended threshold, but I'm still having the shifting issue after replacing the valve (plus the accumulator more as a matter of good preventative maintenance).

After discussing this with our indie mechanic, we're going to re-examine the ediff valve leak rate again to make sure it didn't degrade and probably check the infamous bleed screws that appear to be loose on so many F1 transmissions and then bleed the system again. There is another FC member, that services these transmissions and appears to be very knowledgeable (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/windsock.42675/ ) that will give some friendly advice and also does pay consulting. We'll probably tap into his knowledge if our next steps aren't successful.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Many of the F1 problems are caused by not servicing the F1 system every three years, which Ferrari finally figured out was necessary.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tanwn430 likes this.
  4. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr

5. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr
    Thanks. Bruce. I did a search before posting and what I found was mostly confusing, meaning most issues are hard to diagnose. And I certainly don't want to throw expensive parts at the problem without an educated guess as to what's wrong.

Since my post, I went for another drive and experienced the problem again, though not as bad as sometimes. Again, the problem doesn't occur in the first 15-20 minutes of my drive. Seems like that should be some clue. And the other thing I forgot to mention is that upshifting always works fine.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Before anything .I would pull codes and check fluid level.. the next would be to pull all stats/live data using a SD computer or equivalent equipment.

Once you have this .. things will begin to pop

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. gperson

gperson Karting

Jan 2, 2008
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Griffin
    Hello Linsey,
    I had the same symptoms....I added a little F1 oil to the reservoir that is located behind the right rear panel. Search FCHAT for checking level as you do not want or need to add very much fluid. If you fill too full, I hear it will run out the overflow and onto your garage floor....after you add the fluid, crank car, let Idle for a few minutes then take the car for a ride and all should be good again.
    This worked for me a few months ago and no issues since. Hope this helps! Enjoy the ride!
    G

8. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Sounds like the shift linkage potentiometers to me. They come as a pair wired together and cost about $500 from Scuderia Auto. I had to replace 5hem on mine after error codes pointed towards them (no SD3 was necessary).

9. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    #9 nickorette, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Bought a 2005 F430 with 25k (km) on it and had sportatic F1 issues within 30 days after purchase. What happened was after driving for 30 or so mins on highway would go on exit ramp and downshift 6th to 1st. And sit at light. When light turned green it would "clunk" and have trouble shifting, skip to 2nd, the 4th, shift warnings etc. Turn car off in intersection, wait 5 mins and was able to get out of road. I reported to dealer, they had a look but they couldn't replicate, brought it home and happened a couple more times. Dealer ran tests, replaced accumalator but same issues. They ended up replacing complete F1 hydraulic kit which fixed the problem. Shout out to Ferrari of Ontario for covering repairs

Going through the process right after purchase had me doubting the idea of an F430 and considering even a California instead, but so glad I stuck with it, absolutely love this car

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Not to side track thread but I have heard about this f1 kit ..does anyone know what this kit contains ?

TIA

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

11. Dnewmar1

Dnewmar1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    Has the trans been serviced at all recently?

sounds like there is air in the lines.

12. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr
    Yes, it was serviced in August. At that time I mentioned the shifting issues, which had only happened a couple of times before the service. They could not duplicate the problem after driving the car for 15 miles. They checked the fluid level and performed a "FNA 75 leakage test." There were no SD3 codes stored. Everything passed a visual inspection. The conclusion was that they would have to duplicate the problem to better diagnose it. That should be easier now since the problem is consistent.

13. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr
    Gold star for the man! You were correct, it was the potentiometers. I just got my car back from a major(!) service at Ferrari Los Angeles. It took them a while to figure out what was causing the shifting issue but they finally zeroed in on the potentiometers. They replaced them and it shifts fine now. I'm very happy to have all of the gears at my disposal again! Thank you for your tip (which I did pass on the the service advisor).