How to turn off oil change needed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to turn off oil change needed?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F430kenric, Jul 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Many members use an Actron (I use a Actron CP9550). Just make sure whatever model you get, it is not a preprogramed OBDII reader with all the different cars as it will not have Ferrari.

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm 99.9999% sure that this will not clear the green wrench.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  3. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I just used my Launch tool to reset the service light in my 458. It worked perfectly.

The service due page in the menu now shows 12,500 miles and 365 days. This may be an advantage over just using the generic OBD reader which gives dashes.

Beach Boy likes this.
  4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    According to the extensive research that I've done on this, it's not the tool that determines whether it does a reset, or displays dashes. The determining factor is whether it was reset more than 8X. The tool has the ability to reset it 8X. After the 8th time, the dealership has to contact Ferrari to reprogram the dash cluster to "free up" another 8 spots. This costs approx. $500!! If you fail to free up the spots, it will show dashes when reset.
    I am not sure if the green wrench will be gone forever at that pint, or if it will pop up again, but if I had to guess, I would say that it's gone.
    I don't have personal knowledge on this info I supplied. It is purely from putting everything I've read together. The only personal knowledge I have is that I have a 2013 458, and I used a Launch X431 Pro Mini on it a month ago to successfully reset the green light. My cluster showed updated mileage, and 365 days to go before service. The person in the video in post #25 in this thread used the same exact tool as mine, and his was reset to dashes. If I had to guess, he has an older car that was reset at least 8X prior.
    I hope this all makes sense

Beach Boy and of2worlds like this.
  5. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    That's interesting. Mine is also a 2013 so has also not yet hit 8x. Either way as long as the green wrench is off I'm happy. I didn't even know that service deadline screen existed until a few days ago.

up4speed likes this.
  6. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I ordered this scanner and it does not clear the green wrench or reset oil service lights at all. It can read trouble codes and clear codes, but does not have any function to reset the oil service light. Time to return the reader.

up4speed likes this.
  7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I guess you were banking on the .00001% chance that it would work? Maybe I should have said 100% that it won't work, but since I didn't try it, I figured that miracles may happen, lol.
    The tool that absolutely DOES work, is the Launch X431 Pro Mini.

of2worlds and action-ant like this.
  8. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hah! I ordered it when I read that ncjetskier claimed his reader could clear the service light. If I had caught your post in time, I would've taken that 99% confidence level and cancel the order! Ah well!

up4speed likes this.
  9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    If anyone wants a Launch tool I have the contact info of a guy in HK that is selling them unlocked to work on all makes of cars. It's an OBD module that you just need an Android device to connect via bluetooth.

10. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    No iOS option?

11. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    No. A nice android tablet was only like 100 bucks though.

12. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hey Mark,

How much does your guy sell them for? Were you able to use that module to clear the oil light and perform any calibrations or anything on the 458?

Thanks,

Ant

13. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Last time I checked he was selling them completely unlocked for $330.

And yes I was successful in resetting the service light on my 458

14. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Nice. What's the best way to get more info? Are there any subscription fees or is it a one time cost?

Thanks,

Ant

15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I downloaded all the latest files right before my 1 year was up. It still works, just can’t download any updates. When I bought mine it shipped from HK and took about 3 days.

16. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anthony - sorry for giving you bad advice!!! I have used the Actron on my previous cars (348, 360, and 430 - I just purchased the 458).

My question is what other special functions does the Launch X431 Pro Mini do that the Actron cannot - besides clear the service light? Seems like a lot of money just to clear a wrench.

I have an independent shop in Raleigh NC that has the dealership computer that I can probably give him $50 to clear the light.

17. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    My Launch tool does just about everything you'd want to diagnose an issue. I was able to trace a misfire to a specific cylinder and watch the misfire move when I swapped plugs between cylinders. That saved my $8,000+ that the dealer wanted to charge to replace a fuel injector rail which wasn't even the problem.

You have a 458 and think $330 is a lot of money for a diagnostic tool?

of2worlds likes this.
  18. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Been there with the 360 "multiple misfires - left bank" which ended up being a bad MAF. The Actron read the code and helped diagnosed it with the help of Ferrari Chat.

It's not that $430 ($330 plus the $100 tablet) is a lot of money, it just seems like a lot of money just to clear the wrench that only becomes a problem after 8 oil changes. Now if the Launch X431 Pro Mini performs other needed functions on the 458 that an Actron will not - then I will certainly spend the money.

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #44 up4speed, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019

The X431 Pro Mini does almost everything that the dealer computer can do. It has 2 way communication, so you can activate different circuits, it will also help bleed the ABS brakes properly. It can also graph different parameters, so you can watch and diagnose, etc. It does way more than my personal capability, but I love tools! There is absolutely no comparison to a "standard" OBD2 reader, completely different animal. It's like comparing a light bulb in a pigtail socket, to check for electricity, to a full fledged multimeter.
    If you work on your car, and are handy, I think it's a must have item, and well worth it.
    By the way, you mentioned "it just seems like a lot of money just to clear the wrench that only becomes a problem after 8 oil changes" This statement is confusing because the wrench seems to only be a problem for the first 8 times, not after the 8 times. I haven't heard any confirmation on what happens afterwards. I think that the wrench may be gone forever at that point, and it will stop reminding you yearly, unless you pay dealer to reset the 8 spots on the computer. I may be wrong, but I'll cross that bridge after my 8th reset. I would be perfectly happy if it doesn't ever come on again after I reset it for the 8th time.

20. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Launch has a bunch of different models but they all use the same software and do the same things. Mine is a OBD dongle that connects to a tablet. They also make a bunch of different models that come with a screen, like the pro mini. Some are more expensive than others but they should all work with the 458.

21. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I am bringing my 458 in for its 7th and last yearly "free" service" next week. I inquired about in the future needing the code from Italy and the $500 charge that was thrown around earlier in this thread. I was assured by my service advisor - who I have known for years - that the dealer clears the code easily and with no charge.
    Best

Solid State and of2worlds like this.
  22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He may have misunderstood you. The dealer does in fact reset the light for free during the free service period. The question is, what happens after the 8th one? I checked with the service manager at the local dealer, and he confirmed that there are only 8 positions to clear on the computer before having to do a "restore of 8 new spots" through FNA (in other words, they can't do it on their tool without permission/reset code from Ferrari). As far as cost goes, I would imagine that they can choose to do it free for their customers when it is due. I guess time will tell once we reach that magic number of resets. I'm guessing, from all the research that I put together, that after the last reset, the green light will be gone forever. Unless someone likes to be reminded, and has the dealer clear more spots.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So Ferrari programmed the car such that after the 7 year included maintenance period was up, you had to return to the dealer for #8 or look at the green wrench for the next 8 years. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

clandestine likes this.
  24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Exactly.....But, if you buy the proper tool you can reset it yourself on the 8th time.
    Then comes the unsure part. Not sure what happens after that. I don't know if my tool CAN'T reset it, or if it resets it, but then the wrench will never come on again.
    The reason for the confusion is because for the first 8 resets, the service menu will show 365 days left (and the mileage for next service). After the 8th time, the next reset will show dashes (---) for the days left in the service menu, but it will get rid of the green wrench. So I'm still not sure what will happen a year after that. Maybe it will be gone forever! I sure hope so, lol. I don't need a stinking wrench to remind me to change the oil every fall, lol. I will find out in the fall of 2021 on my car, unless somebody gives us the answer sooner.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Like most things Ferrari if you are spending lots of money at the dealer certain items are "free" especially if you continue to re-up the annual warranty and there are no claims.