Considering a F430 - Worth going to an 08-09? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Considering a F430 - Worth going to an 08-09?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jesse Perry, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary's Toy Box

Jul 25, 2017
    To be honest, everything has already been commented on.... just be aware that these F1 gearboxes will feel very antiquated in comparisons to DCT. Although I loved my car I don't think I could go back to single clutch automated. Ball joints, Manifolds (as we call them in the UK), general chocolate suspension are only issues. However, apart from that very strong and long lasting. Front nose is long and prone to scrapes so worth a quick look on a ramp (in comparison to 458/488).
    I do disagree with the brakes comments.... I wouldn't bother with the CCB's, the standards are great for road use- although you could upgrade the pads if tracking. The CBB's would get destroyed over a few track days unless restricting yourself to only 8-10 minutes hard driving. you'll see very few track cars running CBB's for this reason and the cost to replace is not cheap.
    Enjoy the search and drive as many cars as you can!

2. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    The rotors are easily $2500-3000 each and pads are $1400-2000 for front and back. 8K won't even cover the rotors, however there is a set of rotors, calipers, pads, brake booster and even e brake calipers on ebay with 6k miles asking $10,500. Probably get it for a bit cheaper but still more than your anticipation number sorry to say. :(

Kruegmeister likes this.
  3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, get an '08 or '09 scud. It's definitely worth it. ;)

JRE likes this.
  4. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FSM348, Can you expand on the "Launch XPRO 3 SW and Dongle"? Where'd you get it? I wasn't able to find it with a Google Search. Found other Launch Xxxx examples, but not sure they'd work with the F430 (e.g., on eBay shipped from Hong Kong).

Is it really 99% of the ability of an SD3? Very interested!

Cheers,

5. forshage

forshage Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2014
    Altadena, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl Forshage
    In 2014, after recovering from Stage 4 cancer, I bought a 2007 F430 Spider. I negotiated a new clutch and new tires when I bought it. I have put 18,000 miles on the car and I'm into a second set of tires, just because of age, but still have 50% clutch.
    I will never sell this car!
    I have thought about getting a 458 or 488, but I don't think that they are anymore fun than this car. Now that doesn't mean I wont get a Gran Tourer, but as a sports car, I'm pretty happy with the 430.

Treojohn, Agoge, JRE and 4 others like this.
  6. Nexxas

Nexxas Rookie

Jul 15, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Fabian Alexander
    Some great info in this thread! I researched F430’s a lot before buying a different Ferrari.
    There’s many with recently replaced clutches. But clutch wear happens with supercars. Keep in mind, most anything in supercars is pretty expensive, so a $5k clutch after a year or 2 of fun isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme.

7. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    First, the seller in my opinion needs to sponsor Fchat in some way moving forward. He has mentioned this as a plan moving forward but is currently on a ban from this site. Hopefully mods and the seller of the software can work it out to an amicable arrangement. That being said, anybody reaching out please consider a small (or large) donation to Fchat if you purchase the launch software because we owe the forum a great deal for having so much information on our cars available to us. At the very least become a Rosa member to help support the forums. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is staggering.

To get the software reach out to “king-of-times” (Taimur) on Skype. About $330 or so with shipping and you get literally EVERY manufacturers diagnostic software plus usb dongle for OBD2 port.

RTP202202 likes this.
  8. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not having a Skype account, so you know another way to reach Taimur?

9. Thomas E Stark

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Stark
    Well I kinda doing the same as Jessie, looking for that right F430 for a first time Ferrari buyer. Had a bunch of different American muscle cars, hotrods, race cars, over the years until I drove my buddies brand new 2019 Ferrari. Hell I don't even know the model and I didn't care. It blew me away, sound, power, and how freaking smooth, etc. Sold all my toys and will be buying one ( F430 or older ) sometime after the new year. I know it wont be like the 2019 model I drove but if its half that I will ****ting my pants.

Thanks Tom

JRE likes this.
  10. Trinkevian

Trinkevian Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Claudio Cannatella
    Regarding clutch wear, mine is at 22% at 45K miles. No Problem with my F430 Spider of the Year 2007.
    I have change the Sound with de F1 Kinke Exhaust.

11. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I got a Launch X431 V 8" from ebay, works OK with my F430. Can't do everything as the real SD3.
    I bought a complete set with a lot of adapters, as I'm using my Launch for several other type of cars aswell.

I assume that the offer you got above is just the software and the dongle, and you have to install it on your own Android device.

12. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does it allow you to set the PIS and purge the F1 fluid?

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I have never tested it myself, but the functions are there, yes.

"Ratarossa" seems to be using Launch software in his videos, in one of the latest videos he is using it to purge F1 fluid:

JRE likes this.
  14. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Yes you can , just as I said in my post earlier.

Scott is using the same program I am and in our discussions we both agree it’s awesome software.

I don’t know anything about v8 but the newest version I’m using is great.

15. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    It's Launch X431 type V, 8" inch screen.
    Not v8.

16. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It didn't sound like Scott (Fenz?) was using Taimur's software, just Launch X431 V "out of the box" from eBay. Hence my bottom line question, "is there a Launch version that'll work without a SW mod?" To be honest, I'm a little hesitant to go to a guy that can only be contacted through Skype and is currently banned from FChat.

17. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Then I don’t think that’s what I have. I’m using launch xpro 3. Does everything I can think of that the sd3 does.

Scott is the name of user Ratarossa not Fenz. He has YouTube videos of working on his 360 CS using this software.

I don’t know what else to say other than
    1) $330 gets you everything you need
    2) I’m definitely not the only person vouching for this particular version working on Ferrari’s
    3) There is other software you can buy that does the same thing without sending money to a guy in the Middle East on skype. It just so happens to cost 10-40 times more depending on which software you choose.
    4) I’m getting nothing out of recommending this software, just trying to help the community that works on their own cars.

His being banned has nothing to do with the product and more to do with not paying for selling it to members of Fchat without being a sponsor of some sort. I will leave that up to him and Fchat. For the rest of us, buy it and use it and make a donation to Fchat. All is well that ends well right?

cavlino likes this.
  18. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Scott = Ratarossa.

I use the "real" Launch X431 out of the box, from ebay.

Scott uses the same software, but it's installed on his own device and he gets the ODB2 plug and Launch license/activation code from that Skype fellow.
    I wonder if that license/activation is legitim, or a "pirate copy".

Software can be downloaded from the link below, but requires activation.
    http://eninfo.x431.com/sv.aspx?Typed=36&FId=t8:36:8

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    has anyone dynoed an 05 and an 09? i doubt there is a difference.

20. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    You get a 1 year license key and then must pay for yearly license fee of $50 I think. Also, this is ProX 3 which is different from 431. ProX 3 actually works on 430, 360, Scuderia, challenge stradale, etc

I don’t see how it’s “fake” plus you get any updates throughout the year.

You must provide your own android device, just as Ratarossa has done and just like I have done.

I bought a refurbished Amazon Fire 8HD for $42 straight from amazon and it works great.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so if you have an 07 this is what an 08+ gets you according to the list:
    New outside rearview mirror
    New hinges
    New exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters serial number
    New F1 and 3 pedal clutch hoses, connectors, shields, gaskets, sensors
    F1 ECU/TCU changes non-USA, Gearbox Numbers 3270, 3629, 3781
    New acceleration sensors
    New ignition coils
    Seat trim
    New gas struts for fornt and rear lids
    New hood/bonnet
    New front compartment trim
    New door frames and locks
    New 3 pedal clutch throw-out bearing
    New engine crankcase

ECU/TCU was for non USA cars it says. considering aftermarket is the way to go for exhaust manifolds, what on that list screams you have to get an 08+? assuming the earlier cars were fit with ceramics but a good amount of people, especially track guys, opt for regular brakes of ceramic?

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    where is this documented and from which vin number on?

23. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am familiar with Ratarossa through his videos (was seriously considering a 360 spider). Now that I'm a grandfather I may have to break down and get a Skype account anyway :). Regardless, good to know out of the box X431 Type V SW also works.

24. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I still think the challenge spec went into the Scuderia and not base 430. Isn’t that how they get 20+ more hp in the Scuderia from base? There is no hp difference from 05-09 so what gives? I would just like to see documents supporting the spreadsheet showing different internals on later 430s and an explanation for why they did it for zero hp gain?

25. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    How is it different?
    It's the same software and the same version of the Launch Ferrari database (10.85) that I got in my X431.