Average running cost for an F430? | FerrariChat

Average running cost for an F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Catalyptic, Dec 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    This is my first post here, any help would me greatly appreciated. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now but just wanted to get some reassurance. I made an offer on an 06 coupe that I test drive two days ago. Fell in love with the car immediately. I would really want this to be an enjoyable ownership, so I hope I can get some feed back on a few concerns.

1) How reliable are they? Will it constantly be in the shop for service?

2) what is the average cost per year to run the car on weekends?

3) not sure if manifolds have failed, but if I switch to after market immediately after taking delivery is engine failure averted?

Thank you for chiming in to help!

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Welcome. I would start with reading the sticky at the top of the forum. There are literally 100's of threads with these 3 questions and they go into great detail. The short answers are:
    1) very reliable and no
    2) $3-5K not including gas, insurance, and tires. NOTE: this doesn't come uniformly; it is more like 1K, 1K, 1K, 10K
    3) engine failure is rare. Aftermarket headers are not smog legal in the US and often result in a CEL (these are facts despite what others may say). There are many and VERY LONG threads debating this subject. You could read for hours.

3. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Thank you greatly, gives me piece of mind going forward to purchasing my first Fcar! I will take a look into the sticky thread.

4. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I watched almost all of the Normal Guy Supercar videos on YouTube before hopping in. Made me feel comfortable, and informed, about my purchase.

Fred Daniali and Catalyptic like this.
  5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have an 05 3 pedal coupe I have owned since new. Maintenance and repairs have averaged less than 1000./year. Note that some dealers charge as much as 2000. for a minor service. This is robbery IMO. I pay 400-500 for minor servicing which alternates with about 1000-1100. for larger one. These alternate each year. I paid about 2200. for the ten year service but that was an off season special. I expect to pay 2500-3000 next time. My headers were replaced under warranty with the mark II which are still fine but I have them checked every year. I'm thinking of putting aftermarket headers on anyway and put the factory parts on the shelf while they are still good. There have been very few, very minor repairs. My car now has 30K on it. Still original clutch. Bear in mind that paddle cars do have more problems though they are pretty reliable too. Spiders sometimes have top issues. I used to track my car a few times a year which resulted in plenty of tire and brake wear. Prices should be bottomed out now. If you buy a car with good history, you should not have any major issues.

Good luck,
    Dave

Red 27 and Catalyptic like this.
  6. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I have a 2009. Had some issues when I bought the car, but had them dealt with. Been 9 months of ownership and no issues at all. I’ve put 4K mikes on it and enjoy every mile. I’d say if it’s been looked after, it’s a solid car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Catalyptic likes this.
  7. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    The car in question has had 2 previous owners with 10 years of Ferrari dealership invoices and is extremely clean inside and out, impressive for its age and 33k mileage. I'm glad to hear that theres isnt a large amount of horror stories on these cars!

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Many cars come with hardly any service records, so that should be reassuring that the car was serviced, especially at a dealer.

Your 06 is 13 years old so you can expect somethings that will need attention during your ownership. Most will be minor annoyances but remember Ferrari parts and service will be mostly expensive compared to other Marques.

On the upside will be that big smile every time you drive her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Luckily living in Los Angeles I'm very close to Fcar dealer or Good indy shops. If minor nuisances is all I have to be concerned about then that's a great relief!

My previous Porsche and R8 did not give me the smile this car did!

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I completely agree with this. I also purchased my 07 3 pedal spider new. I have 43k miles. I just replaced clutch, re-built the stick shift, full detail and some chips touched up for $8k. That has been my only major bill in 12 years

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It will depend on a number of factors:

1) The condition of the car to start with
    2) Your usage pattern
    3) How well you look after it

Ultimately these are pretty flaky cars by 'normal' standards and are not cheap things to keep in tip-top condition.

one4torque and Hazim like this.
  12. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    That's awesome!

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Agree w Mwstewart—
    Older f car ownership is like dating a somewhat dysfunctional supermodel!

she looks beautiful evokes much passion makes all the right sounds ... but if she was not so nice to look at or brought so much lizard brain thoughts the avg person would not put up w her quirks and failing of mundane parts and bits.

You will put up w the extra cost and headaches as long as she gives the fizz!

there is no other way to rationalize the repair bills immobilizer quirks battery tender life line or vibrating off tail lights;))

I say this all w love as I’m still infatuated w my old f car....

Fighting f car entropy every day!

Catalyptic likes this.
  14. Dnewmar1

Dnewmar1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    It’s really not bad

oil change a few hundred bucks

change the fluids maybe once every 2 years if you drive the car 4-5,000 a year

be smart with the F1 clutch (if you’re buying an F1) and put it in neutral at every stop light. This will help wear and stay out of auto mode. You can get 40K from a clutch if you’re smart

headers are the first thing to change

then enjoy!

15. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've had mine for I think 3 years now. I think they only thing that crapped out on me was the alarm system.

Catalyptic likes this.
  16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i owned mine for two years. I had annual service at $400. The up shift sensor went out and that was $2k. that was it. great car.

Catalyptic likes this.
  17. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Super reliable, I am actually amazed at how reliable the F430 is. Zero issues, just regular annual fluid changes so far and replaced the TPMS Sensors.

Catalyptic likes this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have had my '07 spider going on a year 19K miles now ~21K no issues yet to report love this machine

Catalyptic likes this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have had my gated 430 Spider for 4.5 years. She has been one of the most reliable and dare I say it cheapest cars I have ever owned. I have owned quite a few, since the 80s. That’s just a sample of one, but this is a great, great car and a great Ferrari.

Catalyptic likes this.
  20. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Thanks alot! When I test drove the car I put it in neutral at every light not knowing you could stay in 1st (didnt want to stall) but thanks for heads up on persevering the clutch!

21. Catalyptic

Catalyptic Rookie

Dec 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Julio
    I appreciate everyone's input and replies, unfortunately with the holiday season here in the USA I've have had to push back purchasing the car for a few weeks, thank you all!

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's an F430 PPI to help you. Please see attached.

I owned my F430 now for about 2.5 years. It had 26K miles when I bought it and I now have 41K miles.
    I drive mine every chance I get and my face hurt from smiling every time I come home from a drive.
    Best car I have ever driven and owned.

Reliability? Very reliable. It's the age of the car that you will need to deal with.
    I would rather buy one with a higher mileage with all issues addressed versus a garage queen.

On my 2006 F430:

I installed Agency Power Headers. No CEL since day 1 I installed.
    And note that there is no longer smog test requirement here in Washington State beginning 2020.

I have Kline Innovation exhaust. Best sounding exhaust I have ever heard. 1000% happy with it.

Clutch will start popping out of gear at around 70% wear which is an indication that clutch is ending its usable life and will require replacement soon.
    Clutch replacement range from about $7K from an Indi mechanic to about $12K from a dealer depending on what other parts they will recommend be replaced while the transmission is out.

My clutch throw out bearing (OE) just started leaking and I had to get that replaced which requires dropping the transmission. That's about $6K.

Annual service at the dealer is $1,200.00. Cheaper if you have an indi close to you that you trust.
    Two year service is $2,100.00 at my dealer.

Had F1 fluid flushed, replaced hydraulic accumulator.
    I replaced all the spark plugs, replaced all brake pads and rotors, one ignition coil went bad, replaced oil pressure sensor, replaced worn engine mounts, replaced worn transmission mount, replaced A/C compressor (it quit working), replaced serpentine belt, replaced stereo system, installed subwoofer from ScuderiaAudio, upgraded ECU software from Mase Engineering, Installed Scud Ing Swiss LED front and tail lights, installed Scud Ing Swiss F1 soild state relay, installed skid plates, installed front and rear view cameras, custom car mats, roof top controller installed, etc. That's about $25K in repairs and upgrades.

A rock just hit my windshield. Quote for replacement from dealer = $9,100.00.

I'm not complaining, just sharing. This car is worthy every penny. All money well spent for me.

Drive the car the way its designed and meant to be driven and you will be amazed.
    Just be prepared for maintenance and repairs as these cars are aging. If its not the mileage its the age of the car so it will need upkeep.

I'm selling mine soon to try a 458 Spider.

Hope the above helps and answers some of your questions.

Dan

Attached Files:

PKIM, Catalyptic and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  23. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Damn Dan that's a post! I say safe bet with exotics is look at the maintenance schedule and keep 15k in a contingency for the pop up issues. Doesn't take much to get to 8-10 grand on these cars. If you find a good indy shop they can usually do a great job for considerably less money since they may charge actual hours instead of straight book time.

Catalyptic and whatheheck like this.
  24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks!

Luckily here in Seattle there are now 2 Indi mechanics that we can take our cars to for maintenance and repairs instead of dealership as dealers are just so dang expensive. So my future repair work should be much less.

My definition of reliable is it hasnt left me stranded.

The above replacement work either showed signs of wear that needs replacing, replacing preventively before they break and leave me stranded somewhere, or just preventive maintenance and repairs to keep the car in always tip top condition as its aging and its due.

If someone buys one of these cars and afraid of mileage or upkeep or repairs that will eventually be needed - they wont be able to really enjoy these cars as they will always be afraid of something happening to it and spending $$$$.
    Always factor in upkeep and repairs and these cars will always put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

For those wondering what Kline Exhaust and Agency Power headers sounds like - here's a short clip:

By the way, I replaced the exhaust manifolds with AP headers as they were discovered cracked during PPI. Ugh!
    Again, no CEL on mine. I have stock cats.

I love my car and every $ I spend to it is worth every penny. Just like spending money with my family. Worth it.

You only live once. Enjoy it to the fullest.
    Remember that you cannot take anything with you when you expire.

Here's another short clip of my car. What a beautiful piece of Italian art.

Dan

pearsonhaus, Catalyptic and JaguarXJ6 like this.