458 or new GT3 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 or new GT3

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robo Squirrel, Jan 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    "Religious experience".......Amen to this! In all my years on FChat, I've never heard it surmised so spot on

jaredwayt, uhn2000 and Ash Patel like this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    What a Super Bowl win!

3. Robo Squirrel

Robo Squirrel Karting

Mar 4, 2011
    Problem is that it's extremely hard to test drive anything to make a more informed decision.

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. Newman Marsilius

Feb 10, 2018
    I’ve put over 5,000 track miles on a 2015 GT3 and 2016 GT3 RS, zero problems - cars are really strong. Haven’t driven the 991.2 GT3 but a friend dropped his laps times at Sebring 5 seconds (2:17) over his 2015 GT3. Just bought 458, love it, but I only track it occasionally to tune it up and blew out the cylinders.

5. anishka

anishka Karting

Dec 30, 2013
    U. P., Michigan
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Great group of cars! Would be interested in your thoughts about driving the 458 vs the 2015 GT3 on the road.
    Thanks,
    Larry

6. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Larry, I actually sold my 2016 RS and had a GT3 .......my thought thus far the 458 is much easier to drive on the street. The 458 has low end torque which allows you to enjoy the car at low speeds and any any gear. The GT cars are really fun in the high RPM range due to less torque, but mind you high RPM you’re going pretty fast and will be arrested:)

The GT cars are much lower and I had to use the lifter every time I took the car out, and the 458 nose is higher so I’ve not needed the lifter. The GT car is fun if you have access to mountain and fun twisty back roads, and I find the 458 a more refined car designed for comfort and some fun. If I was choosing between a track car the GT cars would win hands down, and they really are in their element on the track vs the street. I didn’t have the time to dedicate to the track so I wanted it to have a proper owner, and it didn’t hurt to because it sold above MSRP. Good look on your choice .........the Ferrari will get more looks and snap chats I guess it goes with the territory. If I get another GT car I will get a Tourning model because the GT motor is a master piece, and I will get a manual as a keeper. With the said I’m really enjoying the 458 hell its a Ferrari.

7. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    Hi NM: were your 5,000 track miles at sebring as well? what needs replacing after that amount of track miles?

8. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I know for certain that in the special track maintenance manual center locks have to be changed out after 6000 "TRACK" miles...Not regular miles. So Newman, for your own safety please keep that in mind.

9. Newman Marsilius

Feb 10, 2018
    Sorry -- just saw your question. The GT3 and the GT3 RS are both quieter cars, not quiet, but still with a nice exhaust note. Ride in similar in Sport, tire/road noise about the same (the RS has 325 wide tires in the rear). Forgot to mention, it was a 458 Speciale that I bought. Any of them are fine on the road as far as I am concerned, the GT3 was a daily driver.

As an aside, I am afraid that the Speciale may not be allowed on many of the tracks I visit -- too loud in Race mode at full throttle.

10. Newman Marsilius

Feb 10, 2018
    You are absolutely correct -- you need the lift in the GT3 and GT3 RS, but don't in either the 458 or the 458 Speciale; may have to go diagnally across some steeper transitions. The Porsche's were equipped with a "disposable" air dam in the front -- about $150 plus labor.

11. Newman Marsilius

Feb 10, 2018
    My track miles were mostly at Lime Rock, but also Watkins Glen and Palmer (new track); did 2 to 4 days at Sebring each winter. On the Porsches, which I converted to cast iron OEM rotors to save the PCCB ceramics ($6,000 per rotor), I'd get about 30 heat cycles out of the Michelin Cup2s (roughly 800 to 1,000 track miles plus road miles about 7,000 miles/total mileage 8,000 & still had trend but no grip); bled brakes three times per year, replaced pads at 50% wear to maintain good heat dissipation, replaced plugs every 12,000 miles, filters as well as the accessory belt (unnecessary). Intake filters really got loaded up with rubber, stones, and general garbage from the track. Porsche offers full warranty on GT cars used on the track -- never needed it, but nice to have. Also did a full alignment twice a year, but generally the car didn't require it -- I ran with just a little extra camber like 1/2 degree. No experience yet with the Speciale -- I don't plan to track it hard.

12. Newman Marsilius

Feb 10, 2018
    You are correct, I never got to that track mileage on one car -- for what it's worth, there was no fretting corrosion or other obvious signs of wear on the centerlocks or the wheels (ran two sets of wheels), but I would have changed them at 6,000 miles.

13. Newman Marsilius

Feb 10, 2018
    You are correct, I never got to that track mileage on one car -- for what it's worth, there was no fretting corrosion or other obvious signs of wear on the centerlocks or the wheels (ran two sets of wheels), but I would have changed them at 6,000 miles.

14. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    Had both...gt3 is more raw and prob a better track car. 458 is amazing...my fav Ferrari so far better “daily” and has most overall emotion imo

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    So after all these replies this guy never updated the thread on which car he bought? lol

(or maybe i'm missing it)

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not following you here. He's stating that he will be tracking his car, and then you suggest the 458 Spider?
    Too floppy and loose. No bueno as a a track day car.

Boomhauer, Gh21631 and Shadowfax like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually, it's not that unusual for these types of threads to appear only to find the OP goes into smoke shortly after, leaving the outcome as a complete mystery.

18. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Yup, can't stand these kinds of forum non contributors lol, especially when there is a problem with a car and then they never update ..at least this one wasn't that

Shadowfax likes this.
  20. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I just did a track weekend with a manual car. If you're buying for mostly track use I don't know why anyone would still go the manual route. Paddles will get you around the track faster.

REALZEUS and Shadowfax like this.
  21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Who cares how fast you go, its the experience, plus its not like youre going minutes faster, its milliseconds..for me, paddles take away from the experience no matter how great how fast how technological they are

x z8 and xfrgtr like this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't mind it so much when it comes to simple buying advice. But those threads that goes on for 5 pages or more, when someone has an issue, then only to vanish into thin air once the problem is either located or fixed. That grinds my gears so hard. L

It's like "Hey just received my new Pagid pads to try instead of OEM " Next response along the lines of, "Got them installed along with cup 2 tyres. Going to the track this Sunday". Now the whole thread is lit up with others dying to know how it went.
    Next response.

Crickets.............

of2worlds and Tarek307 like this.
  23. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

he probably didn't buy either cars and was just a "talker" "dreamer" wasting our time with his pipe dreams

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I commiserate with looker/talkers. Indeed I’ve been one in the past. You might say I am one now. Quick story, I purchased a 2006 Ford GT at the end of its original run. Fed Ex’d the check and prepared to have the car shipped. Ended up with cold feet, bought a residential custom lot, lost well over $500,000 on that, Phoenix real estate during the Great Recession was brutal. Fast forward, years later, I’ve been repeatedly threatening to buy one. Not sure why I haven’t. I’m a member of the Ford GT online forum and I am sure many of those participants consider me a looker/talker. I too have slipped the grid after presenting considerable interest and asking buying questions. In any case, hard to know the truth about the intentions of anonymous online profiles. As far as my ultimate Ford GT acquisition, I am certain that I will one day have one in my stable, I just don’t have any idea when.

Shark01 likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Buy on the dip.