430 - 19K mile '05 coupe w / manual tranny conversion? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 19K mile '05 coupe w / manual tranny conversion?

Discussion in '360/430' started by centerpunch, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This fuggin guy ^^^

imahorse and one4torque like this.
  2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Like I said.... your car... do what you want. Just don't pretend an aftermarket conversion is the same as a factory car.... It's not. Not even close.

My 2004 Stradale F1 (21K miles) has never gotten an FU light. Works great.

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Eric/- that was a great pod cast!!

so much passion in all directions!

Eric C likes this.
  4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

well im glad yours hasnt seen the fu light. But sooner or later it will. I like the F1 system but not enough to want it. Just too much of an uneasy feeling for me. I had the F1 system once in a Maserati and it left me stranded and let me tell you that sucked. After that I went manual shift

5. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'll bet you could fix your factory F1 system 10 times for the cost of your manual conversion and hit to value or cost to reverse it out.

There are 10's of thousands of factory F1 Ferraris on the road. I don't believe the F1 system is flawed. More likely owners not maintaining their cars to the level they should be.

KC360 FL and Apollo 11 like this.
  6. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mechanically speaking, what's the difference?

7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dont know but at the time i bought a complete kit from a wrecked car for about 6k then another 2500 for computer work and changing throwout bearing. That was 2 years ago. Prices for a kit are about 10k now and thats if you can find one. Repairing an F-1 system could cost about that much or more but it all depends on what the issue is. You're right there are thousands of F1 cars out there. I know many many people who have had F1 issues. And I'm not going to be one of them.

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Collectibility/Value and Performance have nothing to do with one another.

Painting a factory red car white with factory paint because fewer white cars were built does not make it worth more. It makes it worth less.

KC360 FL likes this.
  9. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think this is extreme. Really?

I haven't followed the thread that closely but are you in the business of doing manual conversions by chance? Ha

10. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Yeah... beg to differ. The F1 system is WAY over complicated, if it was great why did every company dump it in favor of the DCT? Its so sensitive to pressure changes that can vary from a slight leak/seep, to weak pump, to failed sensors, to a misalignment. The fun part of all this, when you get a fault and it wont shift into gear or freezes in a gear its tow truck time. I love the way F1 and Egear work when they're working right but Ive spent so much time, money, and frustration dealing with F1 and Egear issues that had I kept my F430 first step would've been the 6 Speed conversion. Its even less of a bastardization on a 430 since its a manual gearbox Ferrari retrofit to work with F1, so not sure why all the people are so against the retrofit? Pure driver engagement, less issues, longer clutch life... I fail to see the downside. Plus as Ferrari likes to discontinue parts 15 years after a cars shelf life getting all those selespeed F1 parts should be fun.. just the opinion of a guy who spent tens of thousands on repairs, hours listening to an angry wife whilst being stuck on the side of the road in a stationary Ferrari and Lambo. Not to mention the safety factor of taking off at the lights going into 3rd and the car dropping into Neutral

catdog and LorenzoR like this.
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Let’s be real here.. putting a reversible shift mech on a car does not destroy its value.

12. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    Guys, thanks for all your thoughts. (Well, most of them.)

Regardless of the indisputable technical superiority of automated gearboxes, I'm certainly not the only potential 430 buyer that has zero desire for a 2-pedal car, no matter what the price. (Yes, I'm not young, how'd you know?)

Side note for youngsters: Gordon Murray's new $2.6 million supercar is only available with manual tranny.

There are a bunch of dumb-but-think-they're-smart spectators on BaT explaining that "collectors" wouldn't buy that car.

Duh.

Collectors really aren't buying 430's at all, or if they are, they are certainly not buying cars with 20,000 miles.

There are certainly more than a few 1966 GT-350H Mustangs (version made for Hertz rental use, most automatics) that have been converted to 4-speeds, this seems similar. Cheaper than a factory manual-tranny car, but just the same as far as performance and usability.

As with any auction, it will depend on who is "in the room" in the final moments.

You can see past BaT 430 results here https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/f430/
    (scroll down to the graph, you can hover over any data point to see result or click to go to that specific sale )

A year ago a couple 20K mile 6-speed coupes were bid to $134K and $119K (didn't meet reserve)
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-f430-berlinetta-5/
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-ferrari-f430-6/

But a couple months ago a 9K mile one sold for $191K
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ferrari-f430-17/

The value of these cars is so mileage-sensitive, it will be interesting to see what happens.

13. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Key word "reversible".

Agree

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I actually think the purists who garage sit special Lim Ed f1 shift cars are worried about how the influx of gated variants will affect their investment.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

over the last 10 years of messing around with Maseratis and Ferrari I have seen many many threads of F1 issues. And no I am not in the business of converting cars at all. I probably could if there were parts but there isn't. And I'm not going to get involved with fabricating parts. That's where hacking it up comes into play. As I said before my car has been converted with all OEM parts. I have people reach out to me all the time but I'm not interested. I know a lot about converting because I did my homework and did my own car the rite way

16. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #41 Jason Crandall, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Did you do the work yourself? If so I'm jealous and wish I knew how to do such things. Also, if so it puts you in a different class of owners and changes the story even more.

17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC

Reversible? Really?
    Who is going to buy that car with the idea in mind that the money it will take to remove the manual set up and then acquire all the necessary parts to return the car to an F1 is going to give that car a second look when looking for an F1 430? The car is what it is now. If you buy it plan on just enjoying it. Resale value can't even be an issue for you.

Also, FWIW, 26K miles on my F1 and not any issues. None. Just sayin'...

Eric C and Jason Crandall like this.
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    All the "hacking up things"...
    - UNBOLT pedal box and UNSCREW the brake lines, remove and slide in the new brake pedal. BOLT on the clutch master cylinder and change the brake fluid reservoir (note holes for such are already there. No drilling no cutting. The BOLT it back in.
    - Screw the new clutch line into place and guide it to the rear of the car. Screw it into the bleed block
    - Unbolt the F1 shift selector from the transmission, unbolt the F1 pump and remove from the car. Bolt the manual gear selector onto the transmission. Bolt the shift components onto the transmission. No cutting, no drilling.
    - Inside car remove the central tunnel. Bolt the shifter mechanism into the car, run the shift lines to the back of the car. The holes for the shift lines will already be there. No cutting, no drilling. Adjust the shift cables until shifting isn't notchy or doesn't pop out.
    - Unbolt the airbag, remove steering wheel, unscrew the paddle shifters and reapply the non-paddle shifter plastic surround.
    - remove the ECU's and send them out for retune. When get back put back into car.
    - on 430's might need to get a tube or line for the E-Diff.
    - run car until bearing leaks then replace with a new clutch. You'll be good for 60,000+.

No cutting, no drilling. All OEM.

Oh, and 67k miles on my 360... wait till ya'll get past 50k miles and then post about reliability. ;)

19. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    That podcast is great, you can skip to 3:45 and miss a bunch of Dino-mod talk.

20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yes i did it all myself. I was amazed how cut and dry the whole project was. As curt is saying above everything is just bolt up of oem parts, change throwout bearing and reprogram computers. Thats it

Mickster likes this.
  21. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You should write a letter to Ferrari and tell them your story about how they did it wrong.

I promise your story is far from "normal"

22. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Ok... I guess all those F1 issue threads are not "normal" either hey?
    PS Ferrari didn't build the F1 system, its a magnetti system used in Alfas, Lambos, Masers and Ferrari.. and almost all the issues are common across the brands. I do sincerely wish you don't have any F1 issues since they are a C@nt

23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I can only speak from my personal experience.

Also my personal experience of how some folks cut corners taking care of their Ferraris. I think there are many reasons some people have problem cars. I don't blame it all on the OEM.

gsworld2014, Apollo 11 and KC360 FL like this.
  24. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Fair enough. I might have been unlucky. Never cut corners tho. My Murci had 1200 miles when I had to pull the motor because the actuator moved a hair and had to be realigned. Then it left me when the brake light sensor gave up the ghost at 12k miles. My F430 when cold would go from 3rd to N instead of 4th.. Ferrari could not diagnose it. It had all its fluids done per Ferrari, new F1 pump as a failsafe with the updated part... luck of the draw. I sold it so am impartial now

Attached Files:

25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

this is what i been trying to say as well. Alot of issues leave bad taste in the mouth for f1 system