430 - 19K mile '05 coupe w / manual tranny conversion? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 19K mile '05 coupe w / manual tranny conversion?

Discussion in '360/430' started by centerpunch, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Maybe I've been lucky? Ferraris', Range Rovers, AMG's, A Land Rover 110... Never left stranded. Now that I think about it.... I KNOW I've been lucky... ;-)

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yep. Your lucky you didnt get the f u light ☺

3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Lol second on the Range Rover... I bought a fullsize supercharged new in 2008 and to this day nothing... knock on wood. My issues amplified it for me since each time I had a problem it left me on the side of the road... one time center lane 405 in LA in a Murcielago…. NOT FUN

Ill also concede that by the Scud Ferrari made lots of small improvements to the F1 system.... My 05 was hopeless.. Ferrari " nothing on the scan but the clutch isn't working right". What do we do? "Well we'd have to pull it apart"... that was the end of the 430 for me

4. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yeah F that. I'd have switched to a Honda Accord before I started fiddling with aftermarket Ferrari stick shift conversions though but that's just my temperament. I have a bad habit of purging headaches from my life. I sold most of my cars. Sold the boat. Sold the real estate that doesn't make me money. Dumped the GF.... Ha, JK.

5. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Probably a good guess on the fake bidding, this is the same guy that did the Scud Conversion and brought it to auction to sell.......to himself! Pure comedy!

LorenzoR and Jason Crandall like this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    ha ha, yea :) but it's not like it's lowering it and putting on different wheels. This could turn into a mechanical nightmare.

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Have a factory manual 360. I'll never sell it. Best and most beautiful of all the mid V8's to me, and the motor is appropriate for a manual. By the DCT cars, that wasn't true anymore. But I also own a 308 GTSi, and it really isn't satisfying after the 360. It was great after my first Ferrari, a 456M GTa, but once I was in the 360 stick, I wanted a better V12 GT car more than the 308.

Early 612's are finally actually inexpensive. I would have no problem with converting one to manual. Imagine the experience! If you can't, you're dead.

I will have to see the Roma in the metal, but I might go Mod Squad with my next GT and get a CPO Roma in a couple of years.

If it doesn't do "it" for me, I'll get a 612 and consider converting it. IOW, I will have to want a Roma more than a manual 612. Because manual 612's are awesome.

8. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Why would it have issues? Same trans...

one4torque likes this.
  9. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Converted 599 in ft laud Ferrari for sale at $499,990.

10. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    f u light...I like it. :D

11. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Asking prices are meaningless

ChipG likes this.
  12. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Seriously..... think of all the cars in the world one could buy for half a million$$$. You think someones gonna spend that on a 599?

ChipG likes this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I flew to PA to drive a 3 pedal 360 in my quest for a 360 in my garage that I would actually drive. I was all but sold on the car before I got there. Good color, nice upgrades (wheels and exhaust) and was very excited. When I got there and drove the 6 speed manual I was shocked at how archaic it felt. Long throws, clunky shifts, and that gate... wow not fun. After driving 6 speed stick 911s for years with their precise shifter ( I used to track my 911s) I was sorely disappointed. I just couldn't see it. Maybe it's just me and literally "rowing" through the gears has an allure for some.

I know there is the love affair with the three pedal 360s but I strongly suggest that one drive both the F1 and the manual before simply choosing the manual out of resale, "gotta have one" , more coveted model, kind of decision. Just some thoughts when the OP is looking at a converted car in the range of 80K with very questionable resale options.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've got both in the garage... and the 911 has that german precision, but when you get used to the gated shifter, it's such a unique and rewarding experience. There are many on here and IRL that you can't pry it out of their hands. If it was equivocal in experience the market wouldn't speak as it does. I've been offered $20k over what I paid and the answer is NO.
    I bought my 3-pedal Cayenne and somedays think the automatic is a better fit for the car.

timwu12 and Need4Spd like this.
  15. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Yes, all true. Except I think the "market" is highly speculative by folks who simply assume there will be a perceived premium on a stick 360 or 430 and that is what drives them over to their desire to own one. I tend to think the young turks with $$ who have grown up with "automatics" may not be so excited as some of today's buyer are.

But as you have said, you are keeping yours and resale or market value is a non factor. Same for me with my F1 360. It will be interesting to see what happens to our cars years from now --- if we live long enough!!!
    Enjoy.

Apollo 11, Need4Spd and vrsurgeon like this.
  16. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    Themaven and one4torque like this.
  17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My point was that the increased premium is in part due to the hoped for perceived increased value in the future market. Trust me, I follow the market very closely and have for years now. I know what the 3 pedal cars are selling for.

If you look at the market for the 3 pedal cars just a few years ago they were almost a 4oK dollar premium over a similar mileage/condition/optioned F1 car. Now not so much a huge premium. I've seen quite a few for under 100K today. When I was looking for my 36o a few years ago you could not expect to find a nice well maintained 3 pedal 360 for under the $100K mark.

18. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    Haven't all 360's dropped significantly in the last 4 years?

19. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The premium placed on the 3 pedal cars definitely dropped off from 2016 but so has the premium on all Special Edition cars since then. 3 pedal = Special Edition. Nothing more. It’s just a limited supply compared to the more common F1.

The price on 3 pedal cars only ever went up because speculators at the time felt they would never be made again and the price would rise forever.

Now that every new car built is a Special Edition the market has become diluted. When everything is a Special Edition nothing is a Special Edition.

20. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    As a potential buyer, I can tell you that for many buyers, it has absolutely nothing to do with rarity and everything to do with what we want, which is a manual transmission.

I have zero interest in an F1-equipped car at any price.

driller1 likes this.
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Yes and no. I know I paid a fair price for my '03 F1-- not a steal -- not overpriced. Well kept, well documented, 21K miles (a little over 2 years ago). Not much movement in prices on a car like mine. In fact kind of surprised that the value is just about the same if I was looking to replace my car.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    as it should be.

23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Don’t know if this is universal but for me:
    -I DIY, and can’t easily work on the F1, I would have no issue replacing a clutch etc for my manual.

-cost of f1 repairs are higher and more likely due to the complexity of the system.

-potential for getting stranded is higher with the F1

I feel I would be a hypocrite to say it’s only about the “shifter”. Here’s why:

Let’s say the f1 was really just an earlier DCT. Just a little clunkier and slower, but just as robust as the DCT. Say it didn’t require relatively frequent clutches like the f1. I would have considered the F1-(DCT) without reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    It will sell...

25. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    But I agree over priced. Someone will buy mot likely close to 400k. Won Platino at Cavallino last year as well