F8 vs 488 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 vs 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you considering F8 or keeping 488/458

1. Definitely going for F8 and will never look back

32.0%
  2. Yes, but I have to test her first in order to decide

5.3%
  3. Yes, but will wait till I see her in the street and check the reviews

5.8%
  4. No, she is not in my Radar!

22.3%
  5. No, I am happy with what I have now. But maybe in the future, who knows?

36.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I would take a gently used Performante Spyder over a new Evo. I'm happy with my Huracan RWD, great daily driver and did pretty well the one time I took it on the track. However, the Performante Spyder is next level, looks super aggressive, sounds insane and from what I understand handles very precisely although I haven't driven one myself. The pricepoint is certainly more attractive than a new Evo AWD.

Will have to testdrive the new Evo RWD when it's released next year. I've always had a preference for RWD handling but apparently the Performante handles like a RWD ride without the sensation of understeer experienced in my previous LP 610-4.

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The EVO is not doing well because it is inferior to the Performante and it is overpriced. If the F8 was more expensive than the Pista, it would also be a very poor seller.

3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Good clarification about the Evo being inferior to the Performante, is this supported by objective data?

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree, I would take the Perf as well.

Surfah likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Pricing is really not that far off, it really depends on how you build your car. Now if you are buying secondhand inspite of what some are saying the price will be demonstrably higher with the Pista. Fact is that it is much more desirable. TDF vs. 812 for example. I would take a TDF all day any day. Some might prefer the softer car with more amenities that's fine as well.

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Well said.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The EVO was introduced as an upgrade to the 610-4. and a worthwhile one it is. It was not intended to supplant the Performante which was designed as a track focused, limited time availability model.The pricing on the EVO was ill considered.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I realize the Pista appears to be far more aligned with my preference for track focused cars. Unfortunately there are no allocations available in Canada nor are there any for sale .

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Be patient, drive your Perf for a bit. One will come up. After all buyers are cancelling their orders. :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No rush. I still love driving my Performante daily and it continues to thrill me.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Nice article in Forza magazine l just got today: F8 First Drive.

Compares the F8 to the Pista and 488 Tributo. My opinion after reading unless you are going to track the car alot, the F8 out performs the 488 and costs $75k less than the Pista. And for my taste the F8 is by far the best looking. BTW the same issue has pics of the F8 Spider which is even better looking yet.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My take on whether to keep my 488 GTB or go to the F8 is purely based on dollars as the first hurdle. The devaluation of the order 35 - 40% around 200 k is too much to absorb. But if I were to take the hit and the price wasn't an issue there are many other things to consider either way.

I ordered my 488 GTB What an experience :) But a lot or nervousness whether the paint job was perfect ( Im anal on this) I have been seeing a lot of cars with issues in the paint. Knowing me I wouldn't even take delivery if they had a flaw , even if it was a PISTA.
    Im personally scared to go through it again. Sad but true as my 488 GTB was perfect.

Having said this so far now I look at all the other positives.

F8 has the PISTA engine ( Up date on the 488 GTB but several things that people just don't mention )
    Radiator geometry
    Bigger intercooler with greater surface area , cooler air
    more direct intake , cooler air
    Plenum MUCH smaller less air to compress, NO LAG
    Better steering wheel. Better feel, LED's ( thank God ) , indicators
    Horn where its supposed to be , but hey I don't use it
    Improved electronics
    Hell of an improved passenger display.
    LED's no bloody washers
    Better integration of the front sensor and camera ( frankly the PISTA looks like it has pimples )
    Front is nicer I believe but I prefer the 488 GTB rear
    The S duct and the bonnet is aluminium.
    I prefer the 488 GTB dash however.
    I love the fact the F8 covering all around the base of the car it is either black plastic or Carbon fibre, that is there is no car paint there.
    I can get the F8 with ZERO carbon.
    But ild rather a glass hatch over the engine.
    GPF is a bummer if I don't get at least the sounds of the 488 GTB which I don't know why anyone would complain , THEY ARE AWESOME.

The F8 wont be a PISTA , I know that but to me so what I don't like carbon or alcantara , Leather for me , luxury.

And on a side note im truly surprised at the number of cars I see with the standard rear view mirror that resembles one from a 1985 corolla and the standard roof headlining that looks like a scouring pad ??? These 2 items are the first thing I would order . They make the car look cheaper.

Lastly im a 5 spoke wheel guy , give me the Standard wheels any day, aluminium and aluminium callipers. Not because im cheap but because they look great.
    So this is my take on F8 VS 488 GTB

I know the F8 will be better as far as the drive , speed etc but in my world I cant even get to fully exploit ALL THE POWER of the 488 GTB.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I can’t even exploit all the power of my 458!

14. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Sure no problem

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

I agree, as would most, but it is a tautological argument; the people who have paid for a Pista are by definition the people who don't want a similar, but different, car ie: the F8.
    The real issue are people like me.
    I was offered a Pista allocation.
    I have a Speciale and a 16M and gave it a lot of thought, as in days of thought, as in lost sleep, as in numerous discussions with friends who are car guys (and one of whom was also offered a Pista allocation at that time, and ordered it), and of course reading everything I could about it on FChat.
    I came to the conclusion that from a pure driving excitement standpoint the Pista didn't "offer me more" than either my Speciale or 16M. I asked myself, "Would I trade my Speciale or 16M for the Pista?" And, for me, the answer was "no." I don't want or need more horsepower than either of those cars, they are already capable of landing me in jail, in the ICU, or in a pine box, or all three depending upon the order of things.
    Furthermore, I asked myself what I enjoy about a Ferrari most, and the answer undeniably is the driving of the car...as in driving for many many thousands of miles...even across country and parking in the parking lot of a Hampton Inn on a roadtrip (for instance). I therefore want comfortable seats, and I like leather interiors on Ferraris...Italian leather is something special.
    So in the end, for me, without question the F8 is a "superior proposition" over the Pista for my needs and wants.
    I have since driven my friend's Pista, and I can say it was laugh-out-loud fast...but again, offered no enhanced driving experience over my Speciale or 16M.

ntatfas, sampelligrino and Coincid like this.
  16. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Great write up. Are you concerned about F8 sound?

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Yes, very much so...so much so in fact it may end up being a deal killer for me.
    I have a triple yellow 458 Spider that I adore, has 32K trouble-free miles on it, sounds great, more than quick enough and I have driven it on long road trips with friends numerous times...so pretty carefree driving all around. It will be very difficult for me to trade that car for the "newer and faster" version, but less sound and less emotion. I can't see the idea of having 2 regular production mid-engined V8 Spiders (the Speciale and 16M are more of my "special treat" cars)....and so if I got an F8 I'd likely trade the 458....and that thought will give me many sleepless nights I am sure....

18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Ferrari has been at this game longer than Lamborghini and McLaren
    They know how to price/position their cars to leave little or no money on the table, it’s called supply slightly less than demand

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    I have a 458 with 17,000 miles, a track prepped Porsche GT4, a new Carrera S and a 1988 BMW M3 All fun cars but clearly the 458 is my favorite car. Drove the F8 last weekend and like it a lot. Here we go - lol. The typical question that only I can answer. Is it that much different/better than the 458 to warrant buying it new? My previous Ferrari purchases have been used to avoid the steep first 2 year depreciation. Having said that, I'm not getting any younger (ugh). Decisions, decisions.

Need4Spd likes this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Only you can answer these questions and it looks like you have plenty of experience. I think it really comes down to how much importance you place on having it specced your way and having it sooner rather than later. No wrong answer.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Thanks. Have to admit I posted this to the wrong F8 forum (ugh).

22. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    I’m PISTA bound!

Thecadster likes this.
  23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I struggled with this decision for 9 months now. I drove the F8 and 812 on the same day. I wanted to drive the 812 a second time then a third time. I was having trouble justifying dropping 100k just for a better looking 8 cylinder and slightly faster and 2 years newer. It seemed like I couldn't get enough of the 812 sound and being able to rev to 9k. The 812 is more than fast enough for me. I tried to buy several used 812's but without success in pricing or options needed or lacking. Just today I gave up and ordered the 812 to my exact wants and desires without GPF! If the F8 had at least the sound of my 488 with the valves open 100% of the time, a different result would have occurred today.

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Congrats. You can’t go wrong with either choice. Of course, I’m biased toward the 812. What spec did you settle in on?

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Rosso Scuderia, TDF Rims, HiFi Stereo, Nero interior with Rosso details, CF Steering and Drivers Zone and Bridge, Leather Headliner are the main options.

Thecadster likes this.