Advice needed - impact on factory warranty of adding aftermarket exhaust? | FerrariChat

Advice needed - impact on factory warranty of adding aftermarket exhaust?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jas, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Unfortunately I heard this :D :

So, I was wondering what is owners' experience of Ferrari's attitude to cars with the exhaust backbox changed to an aftermarket one please?

Obviously I don't mean warranty over the exhaust, but what if a car has an engine problem? Will Ferrari try to get out of covering a fault because the exhaust is no standard?

2. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    No-one?

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Under well-established federal law,the car manufacturer must show that the modifications were responsible for the problem. This can involve going to court if the manufacturer won't concede.

Jas and tbakowsky like this.
  4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    OP is not in the US, but rather UK.

Tire Fryer and Jas like this.
  5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Catback exhausts rarely have trouble with warranty denial.

when you start changing cats, you’re going to start running into fussy dealers blaming the exhaust. Headers even more so.

Make sure you have a good relationship with your service department. That will reduce the risk significantly.

Jas likes this.
  6. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks all. Yes Ira and Slim, I'm in the UK, so US law won't help me. EU law says the same thing though :)

The real question however is what Ferrari's attitude is towards such mods.

obbob, thanks and yes I do not intend to change cats or sensors. Only thinking of changing the backbox. Sounds like it's a low risk then :)

7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    First hand experience....V12 Lusso with cats and full exhaust done in 2018. Not installed by the dealer because they are quite a distance away. They did however add my supplied O2 sensor spacers a few months later because of a CEL

Oil leak in late 2018 from a loose hose. Fixed. Major issues in 2019 which in the end required a new PTU. Fixed.

Not one mention of the exhaust except it was the best sounding Lusso they’ve seen....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jas likes this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    was the oil leak PTU related? How many miles on car when PTU replaced?

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its all horse ****. have had exhausts on dozens of ferraris and never an issue. i have the full novitec on my FF and never an issue. (in the USA at least)

Jas likes this.
  11. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks gilly & ttforcefed :)

I reckon I'm going for it. Just getting quotes now :D

12. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Unrelated. I think I was at 5K miles or so when it was replaced over the summer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    my dealer will not extend my warranty if I have anything aftermarket, including X pipe or replacement mufflers

Shark01 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    While the comments here are technically accurate, its not a slam dunk case, where you can site Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, and all is well.

Depending on the repair in question it can be a long drawn out discussion.
    Sure, the manufacturer has to prove the failure was caused by the aftermarket modification, but when it does, you are on the hook for it all.
    Not just the repair, all the tear down, your own loss of use, legal expenses, etc

Aftermarket exhaust anything, forget getting a turbos covered. Why would you even expect it to be? You chose to roll the dice, it was your choice.
    Would aftermarket exhaust void a warrantable repair to the radio, probably not.

It's not up to the dealership, we have to provide actual photos with our application to FNA for approval, and no offense, but we're not committing fraud for you.

Posting online, where you know Ferrari is monitoring ( and said Dealership ) can only be used against you if something goes sideways.
    Remember, its not hard to figure who you are and what Dealer is involved.

Is it worth the fight? That's up to you.

The bottom line is, Ferrari outlines what is and is not acceptable. Aftermarket modifications are a no-no in black and white.

S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

05F430F1 and scottevestceo like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And it is not always the dealers call. When Ferrari reps did routine visits to the dealers I was in they noted VINs of modified cars they saw at the store. That goes right in the cars file in NJ.

They are not getting more understanding as time goes by.

SAFE4NOW, 05F430F1 and scottevestceo like this.
  16. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    It has been said before(tongue-in-cheek): you don’t own the Ferrari you paid for; Ferrari still holds the control and you are a lease holder.;):). Although I do agree if you screw something up and the car is under warranty( ex. lowering the car too much and bottoming out a shock), well tuff s… on your part.

scottevestceo likes this.
  17. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ferrari feels burned when a customer feels like they can improve the car. Part of why people hate the marque.

scottevestceo likes this.
  18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They hate it so much they stand in line to buy.

Doug. and scottevestceo like this.
  19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Did the exhaust spacers work at all?