Stumbling block on FF purchase | FerrariChat

Stumbling block on FF purchase

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by cs1, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    Negotiated a good price on an FF which has been with a dealer for about 18 months at a higher price (not hugely concerned theyve had it for a while if theyre now looking to move it on) and as part of the sale, I've had the power warranty checks done at a main dealer (it passed everything), a new service (all checked and OK) and is having a new MOT (which is should fly through)

There is just a query on UK "HPI check" about the mileage. Inbetween services (during which the car travelled only about 1000 miles, from 13k to 14k, both of which are backed up by MOTs and service book), the "national mileage register" (NMR) in the UK recorded a mileage of a few thousand higher than what the mileage was at the next service, but this was a rounded off number so looks like an error. I spoke to HPI and they advised this could have been a dealer checking history on the car etc and not entering the right mileage so its *probably* an admin mistake. It does seem highly unlikely it would be anything else (an FF is hardly going to be worth more at 14k than at 18k - its not like the NMR result was 30k or something)

Two questions:

1) The dealer who did the warranty checks and service (highly respected main dealer in UK) advised that they couldnt apply the Ferrari Power Warranty if there was any concern about mileage and if there was, the diagnostic kit would advise on this when doing the warranty checks (i.e. it would know if it had been tampered with) and it wouldnt be available for warranty. Is this true in UK therefore I shouldnt worry?

2) I asked them to check the gearbox mileage. They advised that this cant specifically be checked on the Ferrari FF like it can on other models. They did say theyd done this on other cars e.g. a Maserati recently, and on older cars they could check it but cant on the FF. I said cant this really be true with such a recent model..? Is anyone aware of this being possible?

I've tried to get second opinions - called a few contacts at main dealers. One said errors on the NMR happen all the time when people check value on a car and they dont worry about it. Another said it happens from time to time when they check a car to take in part ex but they need to clear it up before theyd accept in part exchange otherwise it'd be a deal breaker.

Other than the above the car looks spot on. Was getting excited about hand over on Monday, in time for Christmas as our steed to visit family etc, etc but this has put me off and really put a stopper on the excitement factor making me weary. Spent 2-3 hours researching this but not getting anywhere. I called HPI to query this and they can call the dealer who entered the 18k mileage to check if this is correct, but if they cant get through etc it could potentially take several weeks to sort out and what if I'm stuck with something I then cant sell if I cant resolve this (next buyer will ask the same thing).

Can anyone answer "1" and "2" above and has anyone else had this happen on a UK car purchase?

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As an American I have no idea on your UK questions. However, I can comment on your statement, "Was getting excited about hand over on Monday, in time for Christmas as our steed to visit family etc, etc but this has put me off and really put a stopper on the excitement factor making me weary."

If you can't get satisfactory answers, I would say to go with your gut feelings. You appear to be uncomfortable with the car. I can really appreciate the excitement to get the car in time for Christmas, but a rush to judgement can end up being costly in the long run.

Good luck!

3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I had this on a previous car, they called the dealer who confirmed they did not physically see the car so they corrected it, I may have sent the mots etc in but it did get sorted rather quickly, good lick with it, it is probably just an admin error

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Does it sound correct though that a main dealer cant check gearbox mileage on an FF? I would have thought on the modern cars this is more than easily possible. They did say though that if the mileage had been tampered with the diagnostics kit would tell them and it *wouldnt* pass the checks for a warranty which it has. Everything points to an admin error but it would have been peace of mind if I could get a gearbox mileage reading..

5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If it passed the check and all paperwork points to it being an admin error then its most likely it is, it couldn't pass otherwise, have u been in touch with the register have they managed to sort it? You could always ask an independent that can read the gearbox milage to check but really I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the car
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    Thanks for the replies. Further research shows everything to be fine. Dealer valued the car and put 18,000 in without checking.