458 Italia OpenFlash Tablet Review | FerrariChat

458 Italia OpenFlash Tablet Review

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, May 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #1 Eilig, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    I recently had the pleasure of working with one of our sponsors. Because the experience and result were both very positive, I felt it important to share details with Fchat members in a completely separate and new thread....

In February of this year, I found a 2010 458 Italia with the exact spec that I wanted. The car had 3k miles, and met all my purchase criteria with the unfortunate exception of one thing: The ECU had been updated in 2013, and as such the factory tune was no longer present. Which of course means no run-on, burbles, crackles, etc.

This was very important to me, so I of course took particular interest in this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/544337-how-many-458-italias-original-ecu-exhaust-crackles.html

Having spoken with Shiv at OpenFlash Performance about his tune that creates the desired sound, and having read about the other Fchat member for whom Shiv tuned his car to create the sound, I developed enough trust and went ahead with purchase of the 2010 458 Italia, with confidence that Shiv would be able to tune the car to produce the desired result after I had purchased it.

Immediate work began on the mods, which included 200 cell cats (Thanks Travis at FabSpeed!!!), and the OE Sport Exhaust with titanium tips. With the 200 cell cats, we started pulling codes and even went into limp mode on multiple occasions. It was concerning.

Enter Shiv from OpenFlash. He hopped on a plane and brought his expert tuning. The first thing he did was diagnose the codes. He found that there were misfire codes, which may have been coming from the engine start-up/warm-up routine. The first thing he did was change the tune alter this. The codes went away.

Then he tuned in the run-on and burbles. I'm happy to report that, as a result of Shiv's tune, my 2010 Italia sounds like a 2010 Italia SHOULD sound!! Absolutely outstanding. The burbles, crackles, and pops on run-on are indeed back!!

Lastly, Shiv changed the engine timing, which added about 10 hp, per Shiv's previous dyno research. This power gain, in conjunction with the roughly 20 hp gain from FabSpeed's 200 cell cats, PLUS the beautiful run-on sound, has resulted in an unparalleled dynamic that leaves me grinning ear-to-ear every drive!!

I also removed the factory electric seats and replaced them with carbon fiber shell seats from a 360 Challenge Stradale, resulting in weight loss of approximately 60-70 lbs.

The car now pulls VERY strong for an Italia. As the owner of two 458 Speciales, I can honestly not tell a difference in the acceleration between my now-modded Italia and the Speciale. Granted, the Speciale still has superior dynamics in the areas of shift speed, grip, down force, braking, steering, etc. But in terms of only acceleration and power, my Italia feels every bit as strong as a Speciale.

I am making this post as a special thanks to Shiv for going the extra mile in making all this happen. His superlative level of customer service is absolutely unheard of these days. He made TWO separate trips to tune my car, diagnose the codes, and then follow-up to make sure everything was working properly. He is a real pro, and as a 458 Italia owner himself, definitely has skin in the game, so to speak. I just can't speak highly enough of him, his tune, and his service.

It should also importantly be noted that, post-tune, Shiv leaves with you a device that can be used to remotely upload new/modified tunes at any time simply by receiving an email from Shiv. This easily allows updates/modifications/testing, etc at any time, even for non-tech guys like myself. If you know how to receive emails and downloads, you then have the ability to alter your car's tune at any point in the future.

For more info on Shiv and OpenFlash Performance, including some absolutely GORGEOUS photos of Shiv's car taken in SF, see this recent article in Autoweek:

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/we-drive-openflash-ferrari?utm_source=DailyDrive20170512&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

I would encourage anyone wanting to (a) add run-on, burbles, crackles etc to their Italia REGARDLESS OF YEAR, (b) add power through a good tune, (c) add 200 cell race cats and NOT get codes, should definitely contact Shiv. He'll take good care of you.

Tarek307, Need4Spd and jem890 like this.
  2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #2 Eilig, May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wouldn't be complete without photos :)
    Other mods include reduced ride height, 20 mm spacers front and back, Forza exhaust bypass valve, OE lightweight wheels (painted Challenge silver), titanium wheel bolts, skidplate, BMC air filter.

Special thanks to 458Trofeo for having inspired this project in the first place, as well as his extremely valuable project oversight before, during, and after the mods process. None of this would have been possible, or even manageable, without the benefit of his YEARS of previous experience in modifying Lola. I was the beneficiary of his many years of learning and am grateful for all his input through every step of the way! :)

Future mods include headers, Euro bumpers, and.... who knows what else. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Need4Spd and Baitschev like this.
  3. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    This is really cool, I got a 458 spider which would sound even better with this mod. So this might be a silly question but is 458 special ( which costs much more than base 458 italia) basically a tuned 458 italia with more CF, minus the radio, and lighter seats Or is the engines different?

4. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    This is really cool, I got a 458 spider which would sound even better with this mod. So this might be a silly question but is 458 special ( which costs much more than base 458 italia) basically a tuned 458 italia with more CF, minus the radio, and lighter seats Or is the engines different?

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Feedback is always important, even more so when it comes in the form of such a detailed and informative review.

Great write-up and photos. Openflash and Shiv have definately innovated in this field.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    @Eilig, thanks for the kind review. It was a pleasure working with you and Carlo :) I have some pictures of the car building process that I'll post up tomorrow. I had a lot of fun driving a bunch of 458s and seeing all the eye candy they had at Ferrari of Los Angeles. The sight of two privately owned La Ferraris parked next to each other was pretty epic. And Carlo did a fantastic job of managing the whole build-up.

I also have some more updates I've been working on as I dig deeper into this ECU. I'll email you some new tune files and you can tell me what you think :)

And thanks to everyone else for the kind words and business. Thanks to both Eilig's review and the Autoweek write-up, my 458 tuning schedule is getting pretty busy! I have some nice tuning trips scheduled and I look forward to meeting more Ferrari enthusiast. The only down side is that I can't drive my 458 when I travel. But it's a nice thing to come home too!

jem890 likes this.
  7. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm waiting for my OpenFlash tablet to come in the mail for my '15 Spider. After talking to Shiv on the phone last week you can tell he is passionate about these things and really knows his craft. As mentioned, he owns a 458 and really knows it inside and out. He shared valuable dos and donts when it comes to tuning these cars. I should have the tablet next week and will hopefully have a smoother, more powerful, burbling and banging 458 before the end of the year!

The only thing that concerns me is that Shiv said there is a *small* possibility that if my specific ECU version is not in his database already I would have to physically remove the ECU. This requires taking off the rear wheel and getting up in the fender well where the ECU lives to get it out. Lets hope that is not the case!

8. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Can you load video with sound?

9. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Sure. Probably won't be great as I only have my phone to record but I'll try some before and after videos

10. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Just so you know there are 2 ECUs not one. Ferrari has always control each bank separately on the V8 engines so Shiv will need both of them to read if he doesn’t have your version already

11. gsxr_fvr

gsxr_fvr Karting

Nov 24, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario