Electrical mystery? | FerrariChat

Electrical mystery?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Warmed up the car this morning, turned onthe driving lights, headed out to coffee. Suddenly there is no headlights or ? interior lights everything electrical do the lighting is shut down except for the turn signals. Instrument gauges all work what could shut everything down like that? Also Ac fan not working, no door lights

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Sounds like the infamous white connectors at the fuse box.
    The connectors at the fuse box use very thin female spade like metal prongs that can't handle the current load.
    It transfers the heat to the surrounding white housing which melts and transfers the heat to the male spade which damages the fuse box.

Since this is the first time going out, it's probably just damaged the white connector.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

xplodee likes this.
  3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #3 EZORED, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Question 1992 512 tr. following electrical is down, AC, Windows, Interior lights, head lights, driving lights, fog lights, dash lights, door lights. Car runs fine! Instruments work but lighting. Pulled upper white connector on drivers side of fuse box. one connector solid pink wire is slightly discolored but that is all? could it be my ignition switch? Looking at the wiring diagram, they all have that in common.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you check your OM (page L2), you'll see that things like the door lights and headlights are not "circuits operated by the key", and, since your engine starts and runs, that also suggests the ignition switch is not the trouble. Since you have so many things not working, the first thing I'd try is unplugging/inspecting/replugging the large 2-wire connector that brings +12V up to the fuse-relay panel:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The two large red wires of this connector (I think) originate at a stud on the positive battery cable terminal so wouldn't hurt to have a look there also to to see if anything's wacky/loose.

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Steve, I think you nailed it. I pulled the connector and reinserted. then inspected the stud on the positive battery cable terminal. I was able to move it so I tightened and wallah, every thing worked. I am surprised that the car would start and run! thanks Dennis

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Well, you had a 50-50 chance of the engine being able to run ;). The way it's architected is that one of the spade connectors supplies +12V power to 1/2 of the things on the fuse-relay panel, and the other one supplies +12V power to the other 1/2 of things. Wouldn't have been practical to have a single, huge connector and wire so they split it into two parallel paths. Your trouble must have been in the 1/2 that didn't involve the engine functions.
    Although it's working now (and you've improved things at the battery end), if you need to "squeeze" the female spade connector loops a little more closed to get a tighter fit onto the male spades that would be no sin IMO -- you can see in the photo that the way the red wires are routed and bent, it puts a weird twisting moment on that connector that would work to open up the female spade closest to the red wires.

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis