F355 weight saving measures? | FerrariChat

F355 weight saving measures?

Discussion in '348/355' started by carwhisperer, Nov 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carwhisperer

carwhisperer Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Has anyone put their F355 on diet? I was thinking you could make one a little bit lighter by changing to a manual steering rack and delete the power steering pump, manual shocks and a manual top in the case of a spider. (maybe these parts could be sourced from a 348?). Also getting some lighter seats. My idea is for a street driven car so I would keep the HVAC and stuff.

On a related note, it seems that the published curb weight of a F355 is about 150 lbs lighter than that of a 348. I have seen weights from people who have weighed their F355's and gotten as low as right at 3000. How could an F355 spider be lighter than a 348 spider if they are more or less the same structure and the 355 has the shocks, power steering and power top? They also both have an aluminum engine block, right?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    We got a 355 challenge car down to 2800 pounds by completely stripping everything that did not make it go, stop, of stay. This is with an IMSA legal roll cage.

With CF F/R bumpers and aluminum holders we could have achieved 2600.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #3 PAUL500, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    phrogs and SoCal1 like this.
  4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Pah! - That fatboy's still got the door hinges attached! :p

5. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I admire your attention to detail, the one lug bolt per wheel is awesome. :)

6. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

That thing a 348 or 355?

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Additional weight loss!

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bumpers, remove carpet, seats, switch leather for Alcantara, rims/tires, dump factory exhaust for a lighter aftermarket unit (or a straight through challenge at 8lbs), remove trunk carpeting, lexan rear window, manual steering, lightweight brakes.

Beyond that you're going to be fabricating parts which gets exponentially more expensive. I don't think the shocks would save you weight as the actuators weigh almost nothing - and you could just remove them and lock the adjustment in place if you wanted to.

9. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    It is apparent from the stack of concrete blocks that this project is about to be entombed in a mausoleum...LOL

10. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    Why the need to lighten it up? If you are driving the car on the street it's a waste of time effort and $. If your tracking it you know where to start.

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a really good friend who was always looking for ways to lighten up his car (not a Ferrari). He spent thousands on aluminum heads, acid dipping his fenders, lighter headers, lexan windows, and suffering after he removed his HVAC. When I pointed out that since he weighed about 275 lbs that he could chop 100 lbs off his ride by eaitng less he looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Uh thanks, but what does that have to do with the car?".

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Oh come on! - It's got 5 spoke alloys with 4 bolt holes!

Three spokes with 5 bolt holes would weigh less! :p

13. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Well ... Tell him to take the 100 pounds of pizza outta da trunk ;)

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just buy a lotus Elise.

15. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Pitching that boat anchor of an exhaust system would be a good place to start. The factory exhaust not only heavy, but it is prone to failure in a number of interesting ways. There is a host of emissions equipment that if all added up probably weighs in at another 50 lbs.

Ditch the air bags, replace the glass with lexan, remove the A/C, remove the starter and have it like an F1 car (LOL), etc.... you can strip weight by a number of means, but at the end of the day, is it worth it...

Will you have a car that is better to drive? Probably not necessarily enough to matter. Still, I wouldn't fault you for a lighter aftermarket exhaust system sans emission controls. When compared to the aftermarket options, the factory exhaust contributes minimally to anything other than catastrophic engine failure... and perhaps collector value.

I would argue that stickier tires and proper care of the car will reward you more handsomely than trying to shave pounds and ounces from the car.

16. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Atkins or south beach diet works for some.
    Lots of carbon fiber and get rid of all the carpet and leather on top of what they said above.

17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Hey you have to have some creature comforts, they are holding the lexan doors on!

18. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    With 3/4 fuel I got my 355 gts down to 3180 pounds with a lighter rear euro bumper. Noviulari exhaust, fabspeed headers and cat bypass. Carbon fiber bmc intake boxes, and airbag delete.

Hopefully with carbon fiber challenge seats, carbon fiber front bumper and front bonnet I will get dry weight under 3000 pounds. Not bad for a f1. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tifosi Dude and ShineKen like this.
  19. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    Awesome! But don't you think it will hurt the balance of the car with carbon front bonnet and bumper? Because F355's front is already light compared to rear and you will make it even lighter. Just my 2 cents. By the way if you didn't already, you can get a lightweight battery that will shave approximately 25 lbs

20. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Re question of 348 weighing more, I can add that 348 seats are super comfy, but weigh a ton, so maybe 355 seats weigh less. I believe 348 wheels weigh more, and the stock exhaust is quite heavy. Also a strange 348 part is a metal plate on a hinge that covers the fuses and relays in the passenger foot well that feels like it's made from lead.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I've done the battery already, it actually saved more than 25. I got an antigravity lithium ion that weighs 11 pounds. The car is actually well balanced since it is mid engine. Actually rear weight bias I believe is better than front weight bias since I rather have slight oversteer than understeer. The problem is snap oversteer but that is common with mid engine cars.

Also I was told losing weight is losing weight for a track or performance car. It's not like you're changing the weight distribution by more than 30% with the minor weight savings, and conversely we dont add weight to the car to plant it down if that makes sense :D

Tifosi Dude likes this.
  22. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    Makes sense to me :D How much weight did you lose by having installed lighter exhaust parts instead of heavier (probably) OEM parts?

23. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ... and twenty thousand pounds (£££) from your wallet :confused: