365 GTC 4 | FerrariChat

365 GTC 4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by acd683, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. acd683

acd683 Rookie

Apr 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    adam
    Hi all
    My local dealer recently acquired a 73 GTC in blu ortis (I believe. It’s contemporary cousin is pozzi I would say). It is stunning. We are interested in a vintage Ferrari and this one seems to be in our price range. It is not a model that I know a ton about. Does anyone have any strong opinions? It would theoretically be our fourth but all of the others are modern. Thanks for any advice.

2. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You need to clarify what you are referring to.
    There are no '73 365 GTC models.
    The last 365 GTC/4 was in 1972, I believe.
    Your post makes no sense.

3. acd683

acd683 Rookie

Apr 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    adam
    I meant to type 72. I assume other than that it makes sense to you.

fiatosca likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chassis number?

Marcel Massini

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I want a GTC/4 myself. I think they are really neat cars, and blue is a good color for one. They have generally been a tough sell in the market these days (I watch it pretty closely). They aren't sports cars, but rather grand touring cars made for long distance travel, and from everything I can see, they excel at it.

Bowzer, p gio and of2worlds like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Best sound amongst classic Ferraris of that era, avoid silver and red, blue is a great color for them. I drove five and loved them, there was a tunnel nearby, I called it my sound chamber:) Very pleasant for long trips and its rarity is appealing in itself.

Bowzer and p gio like this.
  7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Adam, I have owned C4 for many years and love the car.It has been stone reliable and is a great car for the long haul.A bit tight under the hood when doing work but still a car that you can work on yourself. Once the car is in tune it tends to stay that way.My car is Marrone [brown] with a saddle interior. People love that it is not red and as stated above it's rarity is part of it's charm. Good luck,Mike

8. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I owned 15693 for 15 years and wish I still had it. Wonderful cars with lots of character. Motors are a stinker to rebuild (correctly). Ask me how I know.

jippiejake likes this.
  9. jhkm12345

jhkm12345 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    John M
    Adam, I believe that it's my car that you're speaking of. I'd be more than happy to discuss details of the car. It's currently listed with Motorcar Studio in Atlanta. Feel free to PM me directly and we'll exchange contact info.

10. acd683

acd683 Rookie

Apr 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    adam
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. This car is actually in Illinois, however, and came from New York. I don't know the chassis number but will find out soon I am sure.

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    80% of a Daytona for 1/3 the price. In 1987 my father was torn between the C4 and the 365 GT 2+2. In the end he went for the 365 GT 2+2 because he liked the older design and feel. My memory is that the C4 felt more modern and was definitely quicker. The back seat in the C4 is a package rack at best, where as the GT 2+2 is a proper 2+2. If you’ve never had a vintage Ferrari, they are an acquired taste. I love mine, but there are definitely days when a modern car is appealing. Mine hates Chicago traffic and has been known to puke coolant when there’s a Cubs game. Out on the open road, it’s a classic front engine v12. They pull like a freight train and just go and go.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    One reason I want a C/4 is because I think it's a perfect bookend with my 365GT 2+2. They are only a year or so apart, and yet the C/4 feels like it's a decade newer, at least in my opinion. In a way, the last of the old and the first of the new.

13. loflyer47

loflyer47 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2004
    Phila. area, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Message me when you get a chance. I bought my 1972. 365GTC/4 in 1976 and still own, and drive it ..today...wonderful car. Anything you ever wanted to know, or care to know,...I can probably answer...

14. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I remember your black gtc4. Beautiful!!

15. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Mike.... yeah wish I had held on to it, after those bozos over in Carlsbad ruined it. What a sad story. Glad you finished yours, which is just outstanding.

16. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    The GTC4 cost $5K more than a Daytona new. Funny how times change. Mine was originally Verde Medio Nijinsky (lime green), a color that certainly turns heads. It is in the process of being repainted from the burgundy color (you can see in the avatar) to period correct Blue Sera Metallic which I think goes well with the body design. In the 13 years i have owned the car it has gone 40+K miles and the odometer has a cumulative 105K. It is sublime on long trips, plenty of power, luggage space, and decent a/c if you put a shade on the rear window. If you do not have a lead foot the two gas tanks give you a 400+ mile driving range- great for open spaces, and it happily drinks 89 octane fuel. The car is expensive to maintain if you do not do your own work but the smiles it generates offsets the dollars spent. Also, it is relatively rare, maybe 350-400 around today - much rarer than a Daytona.
    Happy Holidays everyone!

Bowzer, SCantera, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes indeed.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

-CD-, of2worlds and colombo2cam like this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Some internet detective work on Blu Ortis shows 16025 being passed around from 2014 on. It seems to maybe be here in Atlanta now, not Illinois. Was this shade of blue common?

of2worlds and colombo2cam like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    16025: one of 11 GTC/4's originally painted in Blu Ortis.
    New in Florence, Italy.
    Later in NY, then FL, then IN, then OH, then in TX and thereafter in AL.
    Below pic taken in 2015 (NOT my photo).

Marcel Massini

Bowzer, Ridgeback, donv and 3 others like this.
  20. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hope you are well..
    #15657 in Palm Springs. 100 + degrees, and the ac is working good!!

p gio, RKZ841, Fennicus and 6 others like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely fantastic!

Marcel Massini

jippiejake likes this.
  22. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    FWIW, Evo and YouTube automotive journalist Chris Harris said (while recently opining, not too charitably, on the new Ferrari Roma) that the 365 GTC/4 was one his five favorite Ferrari GT cars. The other four: 456M three pedal; 612 Scaglietti 3 pedal ("Aged with real elegance." But I wonder if he's driven a 612 OTO with the improved F1 transmission?); FF; and F12. About the 365 GTC/4, Harris said it's a "...sensational car to drive. It's a real honey."

23. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Any chance this one is for sale?
    Is it the dark blue?
    Viewed the dark blue one in Atlanta last week, not good enough for me, was red at one time and can see red in places showing, so not stripped to bare metal for repaint back to original blue.
    Thanks,
    John

24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    15657 was originally Rosso Cherry 95.3.9301.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #25 of2worlds, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019