Poll: Is an EV Ferrari still a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poll: Is an EV Ferrari still a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by C50, Dec 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is an EV Ferrari still a Ferrari?

1. Yes, even with no ICE, it's still a Ferrari

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Maybe, it depends... (please explain)

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. No; without an ICE, it's just an exercise in branding

71 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    It will be another sad day when Ferrari joins the ranks of the mass produced family car manufacturers , and starts to build electric cars. Ferrari is not and has not been the company it once was, so who can be surprised about a forthcoming EV. It will be up to some of us here on this Forum, to try and keep the Ferrari mystique going, while we continue to own our cars for the pure purpose of the PURE DRIVING EXPERIENCE , its that simple. Oh , one other thought I forgot to mention, Ferraris are so insanely beautiful, sexy, and whatever else , that one can just pull up a chair, and stare at them forever while static. No other car can draw oneself into it , like a Ferrari can .

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Would an EV Ferrari be a Ferrari, Yes. Would I want one, No.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Nope.

And I won’t be the slightest bit interested. Just another food blender but with a prancing horse badge!

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If it has a Ferrari badge on it, it's still a Ferrari, whether most of us like it or not.

I will say that while I haven't driven one yet, my Porsche friends all say that the new EV Taycan, inspite of beinng an EV, still feels like a Porsche. They often mention that somehow Porsche was able to maintain the road feel and handling of it's ICE cars in the new EV. So that gives me some hope.

But mostly, as EV takes over, cars will internally be the same. The differences will be primarily down to handling, cornering, braking on the performance side, and aesthetics on the design side. Engine power will largely become a moot argument. In fact, since so much power can be had from EV vehicles, I can actually see power and performance being capped at a certain point, otherwise every idiot in their 2040 Nissan Versa is going to be capable of 0-60 in <2 seconds and have a top speed of 250 mph, and we'll probably be killing one another left and right.

For Ferrari, I think the thing that could still make them stand out is to abandon this childish trend they're currently stuck on, of winning on paper in the "spec wars", and instead return to the romance of their older cars. I don't care how fast a 275 GTB is. I care that it's beautiful and romantic. So let Porsche and McLaren make cars that look like life size incarnations from Disney's "Cars", and let Ferrari return to elegant body shapes and beautiful interiors. Leave the carbon fiber in the engine bay, and bring back polished metals and woods, and thick aromatic leather. In short, I think Ferrari should start making cars for grown ups again. Rich playboys, sure. But the 40 year old type, not the 23 year old trust fund kids.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My friends who have driven the Taycan say it has Porsche steering feel, but it has no emotion. So its kind of eery. Adding emotion to the equation is the challenge. I think we derive emotion from many things, but the two biggest ones are sound and shifting gears- even if its pulling a paddle. EV doesn't have that. If they want to charge the big money, they will have to figure out a way to imbue the cars with emotion. Or its just an appliance.

I think Ferrari can do it, they have super talented people and I think as long as they are building a sufficient amount of the EV parts, then its a Ferrari.

davemqv likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    "No chance Fredo" , its that simple...lol

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I see a lot of similarities between the new wave of electric cars and the quartz revolution in watches. If so what will Ferrari became? Casio or Patek Philippe?

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't believe a word Pierro says given his long financial stake in the company. The video tells me Enzo was a racer. Racers want one thing and that is to win. They don't care what brand they drive either. Racers race. Its a competition thing. That said, Enzo describes his love of the machine itself. He ultimately wanted to build racing cars that were mechanically superior. If an electric Ferrari is not decisively a mechanical thing than it would not be a Ferrari. A George Jetson car would not be a Ferrari even if it had a shield on it. However, an all electric power train car could be a Ferrari if it retained its full mechanical nature and performance superiority.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I mean, I guess we can use ICE for vacuum cleaners, blenders, refrigerators, washing machines, computers, stoves/ovens, microwaves, cell phones, watches, clocks, lights, radios, TVs,

Put another way, almost every other known product element known to man.

Again, don't get mad at me/hermes/mercury. As Billy Joel said, I didn't start the fire. I'm just telling you the shade of color it's currently at.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Who am I to say I know for sure you're wrong and Piero is right? Maybe so.
    I hope you don't take offense that I'm going with Ferrari. (Piero that is.)

Solid State likes this.
  11. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It would be a Ferrari by name, but not one I was interested in purchasing.

Shark01 likes this.
  12. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    My thoughts too.

Ferrari's EV will be a Ferrari, just like Mercedes EV is a Mercedes and Tesla a Tesla.

Difference here is that they will all have a similar powerplant. So they will feel and probably even sound the same (that annoying hum they all make, fake pumped in sound aside)
    Gone will be the pleasures of a high revving V8, torquey V12s, Flat 6 howls from Porsche, and even muffled, but interesting turbo sounds from McLaren.

For me, the differentiating factor between exotics has always been the motor. Once you lose that you lose me. Not that it matters because they will sell every one they can make even before they make it.

wiley355 likes this.
  13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'll simply note that one of the most-asked questions at the local 296 reveal was "what does it sound like?" Fortunately, we were able to hear it, and it's proper.

I don't see the same reaction to a machine that goes from silent to hummmmmmm

wfu97 likes this.
  14. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    The only thing future generations of buyers will care about is how the car looks when they're posing in front of it on social media. Automakers know this. Exhaust notes will be replaced by some sort of synthetic audio sound emitted from the car for pedestrian safety. It will most certainly be marketed and customizable. Downloading a new car "note" for your car will be as easy as downloading an app on your phone.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I am uninterested in a Ferrari that does not sound like "a Ferrari".

wfu97 and Shark01 like this.
  16. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    What if Ferrari just fitted a 'sound generator' to the EV? They already do it to other cars they already do it to other cars...

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A Taycan is still a Porsche - IMHO as long as they don't bastardize the name (i.e. F8-E / 296-E or something asinine like that) and they put the same engineering, design and passion into it as they have their cars for decades then it is still a Ferrari.

Cheers :)

dpw98 and vraa like this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not mad at you, I would never own such a thing....it turns a car into an appliance and I’m not paying a huge premium for that over a Honda appliance.

paulchua likes this.
  19. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    To me at that point we are just getting silly...that fake sound garbage that they pump into the BMW's and others is straight embarrassing with its synthetic nature. For me it's the full Spectrem of seeing the exhaust set up, smelling the gas that reminds me of the being at racetracks, and the random nature of the pops, bangs, and overruns. For me that last Ferrari I am buying at this point is a 488, it has about as much digital interface as I will put up with while still sounding Ferrarish with the right X-Pipe set up and Car Deletes.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To me, Ferrari is engineering and visual art. A Ferrari has no other real purpose. Other cars go faster. Other cars are better made. Other cars are more reliable.

A Ferrari is also best when its not "fake". Real hand stitched leather. Real carbon fibre. Real welded chassis. Real hand finished aluminum body. Real noises out of the engine and drivetrain.

I don't see the beauty of hidden battery packs and electric motor casings.

I think the F150 electric truck is a real marvel. Someone finally re-invented a work truck using the advantages of electric power to make something better than before. I see no advantage to making an electric Ferrari.

DiabloTerr likes this.
  21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And Enzo made some flops also.

paulchua likes this.
  22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    agreed, no to an electric Ferrari

but, the F150 lightning, better than before? hardly, you can get up to 900 miles range in a combustion gasoline F150 (with optional 36 gallon tank) and you can 're-fuel' in very short order as compared to an electric that gets 300 miles(really 80% if you are charging while driving as the last 20% charge takes a long time to to accomplish, so more like 240 miles, but, but, if hauling a trailer like they show on their site, expect about 100-120 miles range, that will make for some 'grand adventure' while you have to (a) find a charging station that will accommodate a truck+large trailer (b) wait and hour or so, again, after every 120 miles or so of driving...that's not better, that's much much worse...

here's that image:
    https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Sure, thanks to the 488's sound generator!

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That he did, he was famous for saying aero didn't matter (until it did) also for going front engine (chariot thingy) - until he switched to midengine. I don't see him changing his mind as a weakness, on the contrary - I've always respected folks that were able to grow given new evidence.

25. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Cool I get it, you like what you like. Don't make it weird.