10 Mil XPEL | FerrariChat

10 Mil XPEL

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Dec 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I just got my Pista back from the craftsman who has done all of my cars for the past 7 years, and he advised me that XPEL now makes a 10 Mil film (the standard is 8 mil). This thicker film (called XPEL Ultimate 10) is designed for impact areas, including rockers, front bumper and hood. He used in on my entire hood and bumper and it looks stellar.

As I understand it, the XPEL version has only been out for a few weeks. You may want to ask your installer about its use and availability. Not sure if the other makers produce 10 Mil, but I'm a devoted fan of XPEL, and happy to have this new, thicker stuff installed. YMMV.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    That is one gorgeous Pista. Gold wheels the cherry on top

of2worlds and FordGTDriver like this.
  3. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Man, I absolutely love the stripeless cars.

of2worlds, jm2 and FordGTDriver like this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Glad to hear they are still innovating! The installer makes all the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

FordGTDriver likes this.
  5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    That is a great looking ride.

of2worlds and FordGTDriver like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Looks very nice. Does being thick increase the occurrence of paint lift when pealing off?

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How does Expel compare to Suntek?

Sent from my 16M

8. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    The adhesive is the same. Having said that, I've never kept a car long enough to find out whether the paint lifting concern is valid. :)

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I removed 11 year old expel from my 75K mike Lexus GS, and the paint was basically perfect. The only time I’ve seen paint lift was in the wheel well of my Ferrari 360.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    That my be a Ford/Chevy question. My rudimentary understanding is that Suntek uses a milder adhesive and is slightly easier to apply. Some installers claim that Suntek has less orange peel effect than XPEL, but also has less clarity. Suntek may be glossier. I've read that Suntek, ironically, is more prone to yellowing over time. Can't testify to any of that under oath. I think the opinions vary based on what the installer is selling.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’ll add my two cents, since I’ve done numerous cars......

I have a 2013 white 458, and a 2019 Mercedes. Both are clear wrapped; the Fcar entirely.

Most of these protective films are from kits, or precut templates. I don’t know about your Pista (gorgeous, by the way).

The Mcar’s film is already starting to delaminate at the ‘rough edges’. Not the installers fault. Just a lousy design.

The Fcar has held up well, though there at a few spots that need attention. Overall, still looks great. The ‘kit’ for this car was clearly much better.

I’d caution a 10mm thick film on sharp curves and edges.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Installers have put that question to bed. The concern is about even thicker film. If less flexible then over time seems it could tend to increase likelihood of taking finish with it on peel off. Films do have a down side as does ceramic on paint.

13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I've had clearbra removed and not experienced paint removal.

From what I've heard, chances of paint removal increases the longer the film is on the car (slight increase). What drastically increases the chance of paint removal is if your paint is a respray and not factory. Non-factory paint is far less durable because paint shops cannot bake the paint to nearly the same temperatures as the factory can.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The complication is many new Ferraris have already seen paint at the factory, port and dealer before you take delivery. Even LEs and other editions have been documented here. PPF comes with a risk for the owner that is replacing it.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    As this is sort of about protecting the paint, how much paint correction was necessary this time before the XPEL was applied?