Ferrari ROMA | Page 72 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I really disagree with the Aston comparison. There is a reasonably similarity is silhouette, but the details that define each car are vastly different.

I knew the Roma was a Ferrari from the instant I saw it. In fact I thought for a brief second it might be an Icona series vehicle that paid homage to the Daytona. I never once thought it was a Aston.

Still don’t

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Twosherpaz, stavura, jpalmito and 3 others like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    To me it looks like an ugly Aston jaguar.

3. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    I disagree, though I may think it looks exactly like an Aston (YES), but the word (ugly) doesn't describe the beautiful ROMA at all (*It's not by any means), because it's a very very beautiful car indeed.

4. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    perrinnation likes this.
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I agree there is a lot of wasted space in front of the motor just for the sake of styling. All recent Ferraris have too much overhang at the front imo.

500tr, Astrid.Didier and of2worlds like this.
  6. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'd say the most elegant Ferrari since the 250 Lusso.

7. BMWfreak

BMWfreak Rookie

Aug 20, 2005
    So the question is, would Steve McQueen approve it ?:)

8. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    :) That's pretty funny...never seen that before (however McQueens car was a different color).

9. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    #1784 ohno, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    To me it looks like some british people or Aston Martin owners are jealous of the Roma design because it is more elegant than their own cars. By the way... Chris Harris comes from this special island. But as a friend of mine said yesterday: These Aston Martin cars have less shine and elegance than Ferrari. But now the Designers of Aston Martin have another masterpiece from Italy to improve their own cars...

10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Seems like Ferrari beat Aston at their own game. I’m pretty sure it will drive better than the DB11, Superleggera, and current Vanquish. I couldn’t get rid of my DB11 fast enough.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. BMWfreak

BMWfreak Rookie

Aug 20, 2005
    #1786 BMWfreak, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    I totally agree... I was a great admirer of Aston Martin... But after Vanquish... that I admired in bond movie... (2002 - Die Another Day).. it went down for him, if you ask me... That keyfob incidents were a complete disaster and a reveal of what they have "done"... To be honest, I much prefer this GT/shape to be from Ferrari because I know that it will be good as it is suppose to be... AM is full of surprises and I question everything... Their ownership changes were a disaster... I hope they would return to old days but I am afraid this is unlikely to happen... Unless someone BUYS it and and make it obsession to make best cars ever, in the segment they are in (I am afraid they do not know that themselves atm:)) BTW Movie "Ford vs Ferrari" was a great promotion for Ferrari, to see what one man (Enzo), with strong vision, can do, even if it costs him everything... Yeah Ford(s) won at the end, but at least as movie represented... by "cheating" (grey area - replacing the whole braking system) basically...

So even though I preferred the AMs before... I won't tolerate this ownership/marketing crap.. that is insult to the people... Yeah no doubt Ferrari is tempted to make QUICK bucks too, but I hope they will let the Identity/mission to continue... Because that is what counts after decades... Short-term profits are washed away in the longterm, if one company plays with customers (marketings position) too much...

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  12. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    ...and much as I admire Chris as a motoring journalist, he is hardly an authority on Ferrari. One could say that every curvy, front engined 2+2 coupe looks like an Aston. Also if Ferrari makes too many cars, what about Aston? None of the models, good cars as they may be are leaders in their sector and they all suffer from lack of demand. Just ask the dealers. This applies to the special ones too. Can you imagine Ferrari making a Roma Zagato spider in 99 pieces and the car trading 20% below list in a year?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    If his theater character is one looking for ever increasing performance, his opinion of the Roma is consistent with his character.

I would note that he liked the gen 2 NSX quite a bit, as it provides a performance upgrade from the Gen 1 car, and allowed Honda fans have another car from the marque (my gen 2 is terrific and I am a long term Honda person)

I guess he does not leave room in his thoughts for the reality that >600 HP is tough to maintain traction with in all circumstances in a F/R car driven by rich older folks with slowed responses. And some of these customers (perhaps new to the brand) may be more interested in something that looks and feels special, than something that lays close to all other cars to waste (SF90 for that job).

BMWfreak likes this.
  14. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  15. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It looks more elegant than Aston Martin and It will drive better than any Aston Martin, that's for sure! But its identity will always be in question!

16. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    E a parte questo è bellissimo;)

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Senad and isot like this.
  18. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The best thing is to experiment with new solutions. New stylistic aesthetic and technical ideas. New languages. This is the only way to go forward, citing yourself but always looking ahead. It is not said that if you resort to more economical materials, you will not find a good compromise between form and function. It is all about dealing with something new, to get used to, different from what is usually expected. As soon as there is something new, different, the scandal is shouted. Let's try to take a few more steps. Let's try to understand who Roma is for. Let's try to understand the intentions and to follow new forms and new solutions.

Savageulm and Senad like this.
  19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    What a great car, the Roma convinced me from the first picture. Probably I will go to the Geneva Motor Show only because of this car. I can imagine buying the Roma. For me already now the most beautiful GT in this price segment. And that it has the world's best turbo engine under the hood is a fact for me. Since the GTC4Lusso T is more agile to drive than the V12 variant I'm convinced that the Roma will offer very interesting driving dynamics. I can only congratulate Ferrari for this car!

20. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    R.O.M.A =
    R for ridiculous,
    O for ordinary,
    M for mediocre,
    A for awful.

A shame that the name of this great city, where western civilisation once started, is now given to this overrated faillure.

500tr likes this.
  21. Lightening

Lightening Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ken Gee
    I think your discordant assessment is premature and unfair- although you are fully entitled to your opinion. Personally I love the style ( though I am struggling with the grill) and the size, interior and luggage space makes it a perfect car for my every day use. I suspect it will grow on you when we see a few more of them. I guess you don’t like the GTC4 either but is a fantastic motor car, if a little large for city life!

YAHABO, MDEL and Borrow’d Mine like this.
  22. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Designwise, the Roma has absolutely nothing to do with Ferrari. This kind of retro-belief, that many brands rely on, that's OK with me, as long it's Mini, Beetle..... A little historic sauce to swallow today's bitterness that 80 % percent of the market is a bling bling market (a market that dosn't know neither appreciate anything from Ferrari's past) to help to give people the image they somehow do connect with the brand's history, if they possess this Roma.
    It is a completely wrong way to go. Ferrari will loose it's loyal and real diehards, gradually these are already turning their backs to the Italian brand.
    And the new markets won't be connected for very long with Ferrari. Promise.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  23. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Or perhaps it shows the company isn’t working in a square box and can offer more than just aero design cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

perrinnation and MDEL like this.
  24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If the Roma in terms of design has absolutely nothing to do with Ferrari then what would you say about the FF, the California, the GTC4 and the Portofino ? Every time a new Ferrari model is released we can always find arguments to defend that it has nothing to do with the brand or that it has a lot to do with Ferrari. What defines a Ferrari in terms of design? If you ask 10 different persons here I bet you'll get 10 different answers therefore the only entity that can make such interpretation is Ferrari Style centre.