Operation not admissible, engine or gearbox issue. | FerrariChat

Operation not admissible, engine or gearbox issue.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by glob1971, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Was driving yesterday my 2013 Ferrari (California DCT).

« Operation not admissible » appeared on the computer, car stalled immediately after and engine couldn’t go over 1000 turns - I wasn’t able to accelerate : engine (or gearbox) was like in « safe mode ».

This happened at least 15 times always at low speed and low gear (1st, 2nd) in the traffic, waited for a while engine on or restarting the car, few seconds after the issue was back again and again with same symptoms. I was unable to drive with a very strange engine behavior, in auto or manual mode.

Unfortunately no chance to bring my car to the service center until beginning of January due to Christmas holidays. Did you ever faced such problem or have an idea of what it is, thanks in advance.

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Get rid of it, and buy a proper Ferrari !! lol My car has 100,000 miles, and its 30 years old, and shifts fine. I have never had to put my Ferrari in the shop once because it did not run. Only routine maintenance and elected restoration , AC and tires. PS I hope they fix your car so you can start to drive it again , its got to suck not having it over the Holidays.

Thank you

daytonaman likes this.
  3. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Not exactly what I was expecting, anyone can help ?

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was just being a wise guy, like I said, Good luck with the car. I hope you get it sorted asap.

5. Tire Fryer

Tire Fryer Karting

Feb 18, 2013
    Farmers Branch, TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher Williams
    The California's DCT transmission has hundreds of inputs that all need to be within range for it to operate properly, so your assumption is correct that the car is in a form of "safe mode" to help protect itself, since it is missing a vital piece of information to operate.
    Due to this complexity, your best bet is to have it checked by a proper Ferrari service center to determine which of the many circuits is reporting the fault, perform testing to pinpoint the problem, repair the part or system that has failed, and then you are back on the road.
    Sorry, this isn't a cut & dry "replace this piece" explanation, but the DCT's multiple inputs really do require proper testing to find the problem.

Ouch! I own a 308 GTBi, so I get what you are saying, but..
    In my opinion, which is exactly worth what I am charging for it here, the California really is a fun car to drive, as it does sound & feel like a modern Ferrari.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was speaking more to the fact that its a much newer car, and its already having some problems , I never liked the idea of an electronic gearbox, it seems I am always seeing posts on here about their malfunctions, over and over and over again lol I do see quite a lot of Cali s and Cali Ts where I live I like the Ferrari hard top convertible design, you get the great look of a Ferrari Berlinetta, with the drop top option, just like with the 488 Spyder .

Thank you

Tire Fryer likes this.
  7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It is a symptom of a faulty sensor in the gearbox. Likely it will fail entirely at some point.

SV

Tire Fryer and ginoBBi512 like this.
  8. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I feared it was this GETRAG DCT sensor gearbox failure, based on your feedback it seems it is. Luckily the car is still under warranty and my dealer will pick it up Friday. The car will be gone for weeks I am afraid, maybe months .

9. Mike Leeds 1963

Jul 1, 2019
    Leeds
    Full Name:
    Mike Bates
    I have this now on my F12 2013 car. Symptoms exactly as above. In summary, from stopped pulling away power is cut and the "operation inadmissible" message appears. Re-start (reboot) clears the problem then all seems good. Although, I've had one or two poor automated gear changes recently. Ferrari pick it up tomorrow. It's under extended warranty - so fingers crossed.

10. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I had that same problem about 2 years ago
    Lucky we seen on the scanner one of the speed sensors were acting up and not giving a good signal so the system went in to safe mode
    Not saying that’s your problem but you do need the right equipment to find the problem

And as far as the wise guys here lol not saying you guys are right but I have been looking for an older more (analog) car not to replace my Cali but to have a little more fun in the driving experience

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Danicology

Danicology Rookie

Dec 23, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    DC
    Hi, I have the same problem. Did you figure out the cause and how to fix it? Thanks