Airflow inside the garage | FerrariChat

Airflow inside the garage

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MikeeB355, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Seasons greetings all.
    Having recently bought a 1998 F355 GTS I’ve put some thought into getting a Carcoon or similar to store it in over the winter. The trouble is my garage isn’t really big enough for it so I was wondering.. The garage has a pitched roof which is boarded and insulated with 75mm 3 inch Celotex boards between the joists and a foil / bubble wrap type of film on the roller door which works surisingly well. The difference since I did the insulation work is remarkable but it got me wondering about air flow in the garage now. I have a 100mm 4 inch air vent through the cavity wall but there isn’t an awful lot of movement of air to be honest.
    My question is whether buying one of the replacement fans and foam filters from one of the various Carcoon manufacturers and fitting that over the hole would work in a similar way as it would surely introduce a steady flow of air into the garage which, as far as I’m aware, is how these things keep moisture levels so low.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Thanks

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Get a good dehumidifier .. if your temps get too low look for one made for that ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    I’ve got one but my understanding was that the air flowing results in low humidity and I reckon a fan would be a lot cheaper to run?

4. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Won't a fan sucking or pushing outside humid air in ADD moisture to your garage? Not to mention temperature differences which will cause condensation? Just a thought. Better to keep it tightly closed and use a dehumidifier.

5. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are all kinds of commercial exhaust fans with flapper closure for when you are not using it. If you are planning on using it continuously, find a very low amperage model like what powers ceiling fans.

drewicx and MikeeB355 like this.