F355 custom bmc ota intake | FerrariChat

F355 custom bmc ota intake

Discussion in '348/355' started by ruey220, Nov 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    This maybe an alternative to the much more expensive gruppe m intake. The whole intake track is at 4 inches up to the y pipe into the maf. I used a larger y pipe from a mercedes application here so there are absolutely no bottle necks to the intake tract.

The ota system is supposedly BMC's highest flowing airboxes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I like it, doesn't look to bad either.
    What was the part number for the y-pipe? and which specific BMC model did you get?

jeffdavison likes this.
  3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    DITTO!

4. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    The y pipe is VRP for Mercedes
    https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/90mm-y-pipe/

I stand corrected the opening of the MAF is 3.5inches or 90mm. Inside on the lip there's a slight plumbing tape that fits on the lip to get the y pipe to sit snug.

Model numbers for the BMC OTA is ACOTA70/85L200-B

I feel I could have gotten the longer ones ACOTA70/85L230-B which are only an inch longer on the body, but that is fine.

I got a bulk set of clamps if you decide to get them and want some, just send me some postage, and I'll give you some of the marine clamps for the Y pipe to the MAF and the clamps for the filters. I did my own resonator removals as well, and the silicone hoses to remove the ribbed ones to the intake plenum pipes.

I did my test run earlier and so far I am happy!

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That looks pretty good IMO. Seems more period correct look compared to the Gruppe M.

My Gruppe M is still sitting in the box brand new. Never mounted it...sold the car...will save it for when I eventually get another 355.

ruey220 likes this.
  6. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Would you happen to have any leftover clamps? I'm going ahead on this on my car. how's it been running for you?
    Jeff

7. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Hello Jeff yes I have some extra clamps. Send me 5 dollars for postage and I can send them to you. I purchased a set of 10 of both sizes so I dont need so many lying around.

It's been running good, I believe it makes the engine roar a bit more. The key is to make sure they're on real tight so it doesnt slip off. I drove for 20 miles the first time and noticed it was slipping back so I reset it and tightened more. 100 miles it has been perfect.

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    BMC also has a version of their system that is water proof. I've ordered up a pair of those. "WP" stands for Waterproof, the new OTA line, specifically designed for heavy off-road conditions and hard environments (water, desert). I figure that since they are exposed a bit by the open vents in the rear deck, a little more protection couldn't hurt. Not too many vendors for the intakes here in the US. Found a store on eBay but wanted full pop. Vivid Racing, an Fchat sponsor, has them listed at a good penny cheaper. Now I just have to sell my unused FabSpeed C.F. tops and Autobahn 88 hose kit.
    JD

9. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    that is nice looking.. I saw another thread someone did similar but the boxes were more thin/longer.. but essentially the same idea.

are the boxes just floating or laying/touching the exhaust shield..?

I actually prefer this style setup over a GruppeM, never liked it and the ridiculous money those go for, for minimal at best gains.
    the 2.7 is like a huge suitcase in the back, and the 5.2 is even worse like a twisted up beluga whale..
    neither match the period of the car whatsoever.

10. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I believe the waterproof version has a net around the filter that blocks water from jumping directly to the filter element so it doesnt get soaked. I hardly take the car in rain conditions so I didnt bother getting the wet version. Be prepared to wait on vivid. Originally I ordered from them and after 2 weeks they still couldn't get a confirm ship date so I canceled with them.

I ended up getting from the ebay reseller since they are from Italy and have direct contact with bmc. The filter is made to order so that's why it takes so long, but the seller was very upfront how the process with bmc is and he was 100% accurate with the timelines.

11. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    The filters come with a bracket which are channel rails and basically you bend them and set the old screw post to hold them up a bit more stable. With the silicone hoses and the bracket they are very much fixed since they also are less than 2 pounds a piece.

12. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I might have bought from the ebay seller, but I wasted all three offers and absolutely no counter offer. I asked him why, he said he doesn't respond to offers below his cost. How the heck do I know what cost is? I wasn't low balling either. He didn't even counter .01 off. Crickets for the 3 times I bid and waited 2 days for each offer. He was very arrogant in his replies. I asked him why he even had "best offer" as an option. Yet to hear from him on that, don't expect to either.

13. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I'm not sure if its the same seller, he was based out of Italy and always addressed me as friend. I did also try to make an offer once then he just let it expire. It is bit more than vivid but then again vivid couldn't get them at a confirmed date

I believe the guys username has bmc on it so I figured he specializes in them. I did recall he said he has direction connections at the factory. The unfriendliness may come off from his lack of speaking proper english.

14. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison