F355 2.7 engine/exhaust noise | FerrariChat

F355 2.7 engine/exhaust noise

Discussion in '348/355' started by lanab, Dec 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am currently restoring a F355 2.7 which needs a major done where i will DIY most of the maintenance needed with time as this is one of several project cars i have.

However i have a noise or rattle problem and I have tried to source where it comes from and would be glad if someone could give a guess from the video below.

Early suggestion would be that the muffler is bad and probably the cats(already replaced by former owner, some cheap Ebay ones, EEC).

I have no white smoke coming out from the pipes so i guess it can't be the exhaust valves, however i do get a solid slow-down 1-4 that comes and goes when the engine is idling and up to temp, however the RH cat doesn't seem overheat from the look at it so it can be a faulty temp ECU or probe, need to diagnos that more when i get time....

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    When I lost the clutch/flywheel bearing in the pumpkin, it sounded remarkably like that.

lanab likes this.
  3. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks, i will remove the cats and inspect them and replace with test pipes first, i get a slow-down light from the RH cat so it could be a damaged clogged cat.

I hate it when some owners gets cheap on these cars and buy the cheapest crap they can find just to buy time.....i found out the cats replaced by previous owner cost about $150/pair EEC FA6002T on Ebay.

4. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    That may be coming from the clutch. Does it still make the noise when you clutch in and in gear and then almost moving the car?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you have a piece of plastic tubing/garden hose held to your ear, it may help you locate the sound a little better.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You have to localize the noise first and then there will be better guesses.

7. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I tried this but the sound was the same on my Mac. LOL

8. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Does it goes away if you give some gas (above dile ) ?

9. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have solved the problem now, i replaced the exhaust system from Nouvalari and replaced all hardware like donuts etc, however i kept the original headers as they are fine.

The noise is totally gone now and it sounds as it should be.

Qavion likes this.