Aston Martin DBX (Aston's New SUV) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin DBX (Aston's New SUV)

Discussion in 'British' started by Astrid.Didier, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I guess the strategy of redesigning a better looking and performing automobile and lower price failed ( Vantage) so now they are now trying the opposite.

davidoloan likes this.
  2. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Building a car on a new, solely used, platform, is quite an undertaking. While developing they took in whatever SUV drivers liked/preferred or did not and came up with a car which still embedded the unique elements of an Aston Martin. I hope it all was not for nothing; I certainly like the car! It now is for others to beat this one!

3. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    After seeing the DBX in person, I must say it's very unique and elegant in term of design to any other super-SUV, * a pure Aston Martin, with all that elegance, beauty and sexiness, . "I fall in love with this car" !

Though I'v no intention of buying any SUV now ... Willing to test-drive it.

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I have no doubt Aston Martin will be able to sell both of them.

AtSomePoint and Astrid.Didier like this.
  5. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    What is beauty to you .......?

6. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    That's what I felt when I saw it in person. Thus far, for me, the best out of all. Can't wait to test-drive it.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  7. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
  8. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Beautiful is Relentless, Do you agree?

9. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I believe the word Relentless is too harsh for a DBX as the car is too multifunctional but English is my second language :)

10. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Me too, English is my second language:D:D:D:D or maybe my third language:D:D

WilliamB likes this.
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Best looking suv so far by far. If and it’s an if it’s engineered well it’s the pick of the upscale bunch.

12. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Fully agree Sean. Have been sitting in it and just feels great, way better than the other brands I have been in. Now I have to wait until the project is completed (I'm able to drive one) :)

13. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The DBX will be soon one of the world's best selling luxury SUVs, it's fresh, simple and pure Aston.

14. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Wow Astrid, what a statement ... Aston would love that but it's far from realistic. First of all for what one needs to pay to get a DBX and next there are many SUV's which have a proven track-record. I believe it will sell well but not in the quantities of a Cayenne, or Mercedes and BMW equivalents. I believe the potential DBX customer-base is considerably smaller. Although I believe the DBX to be sporty enough with its 550hp, I expect that the FUV will be a lot sportier and offer considerably more hp.

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I agree. The BMW X5M or the Audi RSQ8 will eat into these other performance type SUV's. If Aston offers a no brainer lease deal then I see them moving a bunch otherwise they will be sitting, then deep discounts, then big depreciation. Of course early on they will do OK but it will change quickly.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    The new RSQ8 of Audi looks like a true gem, for me one of the front runners (configuration option is not yet completed in many countries) but it does not have the high quality finish and the design of the DBX is more appealing to me. Technically I expect it to outperform the Mercedes/DBX contribution. The only thing I dislike is that one already can drive a Q8 for half the money and one has all the basics. My choice would still be the DBX.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There may be “faster” suvs, but that realistically irrelevant. An suv is not a hyper car, it just needs to be more than fast enough. But it also needs good ride, nice steering great throttle response compliance and general all’s round ability. Something say an x5 with the v8 already has.

The Aston we know the motor it will have the power. How it rides, how it feels, the quality of its build and materials used will be determinative factors in the degree of its success.

the ferrari is like to be overdone and questionably styled plus a lot more $ and the Germans are hard riding tech overkill.

I can see the Ebzery hitting a sweet spot is astounding gets the mechanical bits and build right, but that’s an if.

WilliamB likes this.
  18. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Saw it in person, looks great. However, at the price point, they are competing with the Urus and Bentayga, which is tough. Capturing other premium SUV clients will be tough as well since the average Porsche, Range, and G Wagon client pays less than $150k for a premium SUV. Forking over more than $225k will be tough and in a completely different planet than what the aforementioned SUV owners are willing to pay. Lambo guys will stick with Lambo, Ferrari guys will probably stick with one of the other 3 brands mentioned as they are low key, and Bentley guys will stick to the Bentayga.

Great looking SUV, amazing interior, but I wonder what the market really is for this. Sucks for Aston, I think they did a great job. I hope they are successful. Maybe they should price it lower...between a G63 and an Urus.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

PTG1 and Gh21631 like this.
  19. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I believe the Urus is considerably more expensive (50K) - still trying to get hold of the DBX pricelist - but I have not checked the Bentayga as I think it looks like a homage to the black London city cab. Way too classic in style for me.
    Aston should be able to get buyers from all of those you mentioned. I am a Ferrari fan (thus keep my F12) but expect their FUV to be too much of a sports car, expectedly overpriced and it would require me to wait for at least until the end of 2022.

20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the one that I saw, looks great. Sticker was $225k I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL I felt the same way about the Bentayga and the black London cab design reference. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

22. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Living in Switzerland, Urus ready-to-go price is around 275K, the DBX around 225K (I have been told). The one I saw and sat in was in a greytone but that was before market intro, thus no photo's. It is great and recognizable an Aston.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yes you’re right, if prices to high it will be dead out the gate.

somewheee between a too spec Range Rover and a urus sounds like the right place.

inetresting aside how is the iris and bentagaya selling relative to expectations.

WilliamB likes this.
  24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I love Aston and have always been rooting for them as an underdog. I was invited to one of their early think tank meetings discussing the Vanquish Concept car. They later showed the DBX, and we all loved the design. Clearly a winner in my eyes as far as their design, although I do not like the newest gen Vantage design.

Bottom line is all about price. Sweet spot should be $150k-ish. If it’s priced $200k+ they will be sitting on showroom floors like the Bentaygas did.
    Then they’ll be crazy discounting them $50k off, or run their ridiculously low lease specials like they are currently doing with their Vantages.

Sent from my 16M

Astrid.Didier, boxerman and WilliamB like this.
  25. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I agree with you Edward, I also love the Aston but for very different reasons than I love my Ferrari. [I also have to with a British wife :) ] They though deserve a spot in the limelight and I therefore hope that the DBX sales give them a reason to continue their journey in existence.
    As for pricing, it is a it difficult to compare pricing between the US and the EU continent, as it is very different. Within the Swiss market I (based on assumptions + real pricing) the ranking would be(come): 1- FUV with 300K+, 2-Urus 275K, 3-DBX 225K, 4-RSQ4/GLE-C/CayenneT/Levante Trofeo (all up-specced, road ready). I did not take the Bentayga in as I have no idea of its pricing, never checked as the design is appalling to me. Only seen some in the UK and just 1 in Switzerland (there for sure will be more but I am sure it is not a success formula).