Period front spoiler on a classic Maserati | FerrariChat

Period front spoiler on a classic Maserati

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Froggie, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Provocative title probably, I understand that our classic cars shall be preserved from outrages, but let's have a try...

A small front spoiler was designed specifically for Merak's (also usable for Bora's) in order to decrease the front lift and improve the handling at high speeds.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The issue seems more important on Merak's than Bora's, maybe because of a lighter steering due to a smaller weight on the front axle.

From Bora threads on that issue, I also noticed that such a small spoiler, associated or not with air scoops (oriented frontwards or backwards), could also improve the cooling of the front radiators, notably on the Bora which seems to be more prone to heat accumulation in the rear engine compartment.

All in all, although not aesthetically correct for other cars, I am wondering if such a (small) spoiler could also be adapted on other period Masers having an edged front nose that is not optimal for high speeds and cooling, such as the Indy, Ghibli and Khamsin (even if these front engine cars are less prone to lift-off because of the front engine).
    Of course not going as far as the extreme seen on this Khamsin!

Incidentally, having a small "sacrificial" spoiler on the front may also allow to test the clearance of the car before e.g. crossing at low speed an urban speed bump to avoid damaging the very exposed undertray and exhaust of an Indy...

Opinions?

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    What the f**k is that??? Poor Khamsin. Dreadful ugly! But you can`t buy good taste!

MK1044 likes this.
  3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Wellllll..., not that far!
    Thinking of something discrete and easily removable, just like the Merak spoiler.
    My question mainly relates to the possible change in the car's handling and cooling at speed.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Send these guys to jail !

wbaeumer likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Walter it was our special crowdfunded Christmas gift made just for you:D!

MK1044 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  6. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Walter,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but everyone has better eyes than the person who defined the Khamsin! Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New year to you.

Elliot

7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Walter, your Merak was tracked:

Obviously the wheels and tyres were modified, maybe also the drivetrain and suspensions.
    By chance, could you tell us if you have feeled any handling difference at speed (steering, lift) due to the addition of the front spoiler only?

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, my Merak is madified. But the difference between the Merak and the Khamsin is, that the V6 was made in 1,830 examples while the Khamsin is a very rare bird with only 500 units. For me the Khamsin is the more important car and I did not modify anything on my car when I owned it from 1997-2000.
    As of the spoiler: my `82 car came with (!) the spoiler from new. I drove it once without the spoiler at higher speeds and steering became lighter. The spoiler is usefull although the car gets a little more understeering in corners. We changed that by small modification on the front suspension.

As of the wheels: yes, but these BBSs where offered by Auto Koenig, the German importer from Anzing in Bavariain 1981/2. Some owners opted for those wheels. My car came with the standard wheels but I was fortunate to find those BBs in 2000. Today they are worth of "gold" and VERY hard to find.
    All my modification can be easily removed. But I doubt that this is possible on this ...eh..."something blue" in post #1.....

71Satisfaction and Froggie like this.
  9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Thanks Elliot...and you (and the rest of the gang on this esteemed forum)!

10. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  11. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Words fail me! The factory front air dam is fairly modest and since it was a factory piece, certainly acceptable but the picture in period add ons are way over the top and ruin the lovely design that the Bora is.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The Bora and Merak book by Jan Norbye (early 80s IIRC) had color photos of a bespoilered, bewinged yellow Bora. I don't have the book here. When I was at Candini's in Modena last February Marcello showed me these photos. He said it was modified by a German who eventually had a fatal crash in it...RIP
    Not sure if it was the same car. If anybody knows more thanks for letting us know.

Froggie likes this.
  13. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    It appears that something is in front of the rear wheels? Could that be an air scoop for cooling the rear brakes? A quick check of the Norbye book show a yellow Bora with front air dam, something at the top of the rear window, a rear wing and also scoops on the rear engine cover where the shark vents are located. In Nembo's pictures the Bora has new wheels, oversized tires and fender lips. Perhaps they are the same car with further changes from the picture in Norbye's book?

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Elliot, yes rear brake cooling.

I'd have to see the book photos, in my recollection that car had Swiss plates and Marcello Candini said the one I posted photos of was German...but it could have been an owner from the German speaking part of Switzerland confusing his memory and the same car at different stages.

15. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Interestingly, the Gr. IV Bora didn't have any spoiler.
    It was however very low and had an important bottom front air scoop which probably acted also like a dam to decrease the aerodynamic lift at high speed:

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #17 Nembo1777, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Well this low enlarged radiator in this relatively recent photo you posted (90's, 2000's) is a modification made decades later by Jean Guikas because he just had excessive temperatures. He and his mechanic are very competent people and that was the most innocuous way to enhance cooling. The car in period (or 3001 the other one) never had this back then or at least not as big, here is a shot of 3000 I took around 1980 of 3000, then red, at the Thepenier showroom (sorry for my moped helmet being in the way:)), it had it but a lot smaller. Initially they had nothing like this, see earlier period photo. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Now that I have seen your pictures of the Gr. IV Bora, I can see where the rear deck scoop idea came from as they are clearly shown in your pictures. Do you know if the Gr. IV scoops were for fresh air for the engine or for some other purpose? They seems too far away to be for brake cooling. It seems that the factory was concerned with air pressure build up in the engine compartment as the rear deck side windows were obviously Perspec and full of holes for removal. I forget if the main rear deck window had a similar look. I'll have to find you article on the Gr. IV that you did not so long ago as you had some excellent pictures of the car in it.

18. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    boralogist likes this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes air pressure build up at high speed is was a common problem with a rear (mid) engined layout and of course particularly with rear hinged engine covers the key being the removal of the rear inner wheel arches to lower pressure: that made a huge difference in any car with such a layout. on the Bora GR4 they seem to have gone half way the wheel arches allowing some air pressure to escape. Francois Migault confirmed to me that during early testing he lost an engine cover, which led them to address the pressure issue. Miuras -which used the sunshade layout for that pressure and to prevent rain onto engines- also easily parted with them if they were not secured properly, an expensive error, likewise Ferrari 365 and 512BB etc. Few Mangustas were raced and not very seriously at that but there are photos of one of the two rear moose wing half lids flapping away:). Of course these vents also allowed heat dissipation a true necessity with Boras. note that the racing rear lid was hugely lighter than the very heavy street version with a lot of glass.

20. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    That pic of a Bora Gr. IV recreation by Bernard Guénant in 2007 shows not only a true front spoiler (albeit a small one when compared to spoilers/splitters used on the track at the time):

but also numerous air inlets and outlets to improve cooling:

You can notice that the air extraction on the hood is much more important than the one of original Gr. IV's, and that the air inlets on the rear engine bay are more numerous and positioned differently, mostly at the entrance instead of the rear for more efficiency.

The car is described on Enrico's site: http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri06wwwwwwwwwww.htm

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Which of the two Gr IV Bora is the one you have pictures of as it looks different than Nembo1777's pictures?

22. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    As said above, it is not one of the two original Gr. IV's but a recreation, the story of which is being described here: http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri06wwwwwwwwwww.htm (scroll down at the bottom of the link)

23. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Froggie, thanks for the reference. Being rather ancient, my memory failed me but it came back to me once I looked at the pictures and article. I can imagine that it is quite the beast to drive but a whole lot of fun once you get behind the wheel.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Elliott considering your question you will find my fresh post #743 page 30 in the Bora thread useful: in it I relate the individual histories of the two Bora Group 4's and discuss the two excellent replicas built decades later , this will bring you up to date.