Official book collectors thread | Page 112 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    of2worlds likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Soft.

Marcel Massini

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is even worse.
    There is a special additional supplement for the Italian language (text only) and that costs extra as well.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Rosey like this.
  4. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I am awaiting mine to escape the DHL purgatory,.

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You will not be disappointed.

Marcel Massini

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I recently purchased a couple of books from Book Depository in U.K.

Nice discount off of retail.
    Free shipping to the US.
    Ships by mail so no DHL hassles.

I plan to use them whenever they have a book I’m interested in.

7. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #2782 Dino2010, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
    What a shame!
    Ferrari so proudly announced last year:

"Elegance, tradition, history and adrenaline. There is all this and much more in the 2018 yearbook. The new edition is back, as in Enzo Ferrari’s initial idea, to be a publication in its own right, embellished this year with a refined hardcover with the Prancing Horse in relief. Its pages contain the entire 2018 of the Maranello-based company: from the sporting season to the high-end cars, from company life to customer events, from the restoration of Classics to museums."

So, now, we go back to the fluffy and easy to scratch soft cover. Why does this so highly rated worldbrand change ideas all the time? No consistency at all.
    And even more annoying: Ferrari is so proud there are 2 different covers available. One with the SF90 on the cover and one with new Roma (that I see as a complete faillure) .
    But.... there is no way whatsoever you can choose which cover you want when you order on ferraristore.com
    (THE YEARBOOK WILL BE SENT IN ONE OF THE VERSIONS AVAILABLE)
    What a bunch of amateurs.

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm not sure it is of any significance but Book Depository are actually owned by Amazon.

9. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    I found both their catalogue and their discounts a lot more interesting before they were owned by Amazon, and stopped ordering from them as a consequence.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wonder why their prices and terms are so much better. Even though i’m a Prime member Amazon UK doesn't give me free shipping to the USA.

11. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    I managed to get a copy of the Supercars series book about the Ferrari F40. I know that the Testarossa is also featured in the Supercars series. Is there a complete list of all Ferrari’s featured in the Supercars series?

12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't think it is really free shipping is it? I think you will see a different price depending on your location. So I imagine it is reflecting the different ways the websites are set up. For the UK the Amazon UK and Book Depository prices are usually within a penny of one another and, for me, very rarely offer the best price. I used to use Book Depository quite a lot before Amazon bought them but as Seb says above, their prices are no longer as competitive, although for you they clearly are.

seb333 likes this.
  13. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Received my copy of Ferrari 250 GT SWB 2689 today. Lovely read under the christmas tree.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Interesting. I was told it is delayed till February 2020???
    May I ask, WHERE/from whom did you order it?

Marcel Massini

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I can't tell you where Jurgen ordered his copy from but all the usual suspects show it in stock including the publishers https://porterpress.co.uk/products/ferrari-250-gt-swb-2689, Amazon etc. and my preferred supplier (because, as usual they are the cheapest), Speedyhen.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #2791 Martin308GTB, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    +1
    I ordered mine 10 days ago and received it on last Tuesday. Just unpacked it as my own christmas gift.
    I can also confirm the great service of 'McKLein' (rallywebshop). Even if available from amazon or others I order from them, since I think, such shops have to be supported.

Sorry for the poor picture. Just took it quickly on our antique kitchen cabinet :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Is this 0872? Already in CH 8 years ago? Picture taken on 12th Nov. 2011 (Pantheon Basel):

And last year in Basel too:

Best from Germany
    Martin

17. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Ordered directly from Porter Press. Received it today with a personal note.

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes it is 0872 in the Pantheon Museum in Muttenz near Basel, Switzerland, in November 2011.
    As said before, I was personally involved in the sale of 0872 on 12 June 2007 to the current Swiss owner.
    The other 312 P is 0870 and that belongs since 14 June 1970 to the Bardinon Collection in Mas du Clos.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I remember seeing that car on exhibition 1987 in Jouy-en-Josas (village in the Paris metropolitain area) during the 'Hommage à Ferrari' at the Fondation Cartier.
    Nice exhibition. Bad thing was, taking private pictures was striclty forbidden inside the tent, where the rarities were on display.

Best Regards
    Martin

20. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    I’ve started reading the book and find it really well done. Beside the layout and the presentation which are on the high standard known from the publisher, the choice and the reproduction of the pictures are - as you said - absolutely fantastic and the text spot on. It’s never easy not to sound boring when relating racing facts and here the author and the translation are - in my opinion - really on it.
    I don’t possess the old edition of the book, this one I’m very happy to have it!

21. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Lucky you! Sounds fantastic. I ordered mine in September. It shipped from Germany to the U.S. around Dec. 16 but the tracking, which indicates it is still in Germany, has not changed since then. Waiting for a call back from DHL to try to find it and figure out when it will be delivered.

Enjoy!

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    DHL is the worst. I'd never use them. Fedex ONLY. Clearly the best.

Marcel Massini

seb333 likes this.
  23. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    DHL is not trustable at all, had several problems as well sending with them and their customer enquiry service is unprofessional to say the least. But in your case I think the tracking status does not necessarily mean it still is in Germany. Once it has been shipped to the receiving country, it could be that it’s taken over by a third party and that the tracking is available through a different link. I experienced this recently sending something to Italy.
    In any case, I hope everything gets sorted out and that you soon can enjoy the book!

24. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Had no choice in carriers. McKlein sent it through them and perhaps the German postal service. I sent the incredibly unhelpful email I got from DHL to McKlein. Maybe they can figure out where their shipment went/is!

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Don't want to debate, but I sent around 60 items to FChatters and ebay buyers via DHL to the US and all over the world (Oz, Asian countries like Japan, Thailand, HK, India, even Far East Russia) and so on) during the past three years.
    Just one single parcel got lost while being already in the hands of USPS and they refunded me.
    So I cannot say anything bad about DHL.
    But o.k. if money doesn't matter at all one can choose Fedex or UPS.
    For rare items, which are not replaceable I would probably also choose Fedex, if the buyer is willing to pay those crazy overseas prizes.
    In all other cases Fedex is for folks, who have too much money and don't have to run a business where they have to consider economics.

Best from Germany
    Martin