365 GTC 4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

365 GTC 4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by acd683, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrgray68

wrgray68 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 5, 2014
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Walker Gray
    In reading this thread I was surprised to learn that the GTC/4 was a $5k premium over the Daytona when new. That was a lot in 1972! Would someone mind explaining why?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Ferrari 2+2s are always the most expensive cars in the "regular" lineup. I believe that's still the case, and it's been that way since 1961 with the 250GTE. And they tend to be sold to Ferrari's best customers, too.

Bowzer likes this.
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    UK Motor Magazine February, 1971.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

UK Autocar Magazine August, 1975.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Americans don't understand the 2+2s, or even arguably the big V-12 cars, period.

In the US, a Ferrari is for either driving on the track, or driving down and parking in front of Starbucks (before Starbucks, it was going to your favorite fancy restaurant and having the valet park you up front). For those purposes, the V-8 cars and more competition-oriented V-12 cars are what you want.

In Europe, on the other hand, there is an entirely different use case: breakfast with the wife in Milan, business lunch in Geneva, and dinner with the mistress in Paris (or vice versa)... that is what the 2+2 cars are designed to do. And hey, if there happens to be a track handy at either end, they can hold their own there as well. You could use a boring old Mercedes for that, of course, but where is the fun in that?

And, seriously, I own both a 365GT and a Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Coupe, and there is no comparison when it comes to high speed cruising. In the Mercedes, 80 feels pretty fast... in the 365GT, 120 feels slow.

Bowzer, FF4X4, Natan Tazelaar and 4 others like this.
  5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I believe he means the C4. I just saw on for sale painted Blu ortis.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I cant find the LOVE button

of2worlds likes this.
  7. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Body built by Pininfarina (Scaglietti coachwork was seen as inferior at the time), ZF Power Steering, better Borg & Beck clutch, conventional five-speed shift pattern (no dog-leg first) Aircon standard, whereas option on the Daytona. It was seen to be more refined than the more aggressive GTB/4.

Plus it sounds better - IMO

Bowzer, of2worlds and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Scaglietti coach work was definitely inferior to Pininfarina! And I believe all the 2+2s were built at Pininarina, at least up until the 612. Maybe the FF.

9. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    It was Rosso Cherry, and was painted in its current Pozi Blu 3 years ago. Very good paint work. Spent over $200k restoring the car. Absolutely perfect now.

10. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Bowzer, Mikestradale, sisiay and 8 others like this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  12. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Right car, right color combo..... that is perfection, Mike
    Absolutely gorgeous.

13. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like a very deep blue sea ! So very nice Mike. Do not see letting mine go anytime soon.Mike

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I remember frequent visits to Algar back in the early 70s. On a few visits I saw a C/4, Daytona and a Dino on the showroom floor for what seemed like an eternity. They were not exactly flying off the shelves back then.

Sam......it was nice meeting you at Watkins Glen FCA meet back in '18. When I saw your car I instantly knew it was the C/4 that had once been my Dad's car. The unique burgundy color he chose to paint it was not a standard Ferrari color. I remember when he took delivery of that green C/4....he really didn't like the color. What added to the mix were the white-black and green plaid seat inserts. Yuck. But remember that was the early 70s when shag carpet and bell bottoms were in style :eek:. Glad you are enjoying the car. It was my mom's fav of my dad's multiple Ferraris. Does it still have the Becker Berlin radio on the flexible stalk? That was a unique option on the car. Course with the engine singing the inadequate stereo was just an interior ornament....lol.

I drove your car up and down the East coast on my "driving" honeymoon back in '78. My most favored memory was opening the windows and downshifting into 3rd gear at 5000 rpm through the entire length of the Baltimore-Washington tunnel. A sound I will never forget. At 5000 rpm the C/4 has an exhaust howl that is second to none. I strongly recommend anyone with a C/4 go find a tunnel and try it sometime.

Looking forward to seeing your car clothed in Blu Sera. Although many seem to think every car should go back to it's original color in your case you get a guaranteed "hall pass". That green is really awful on the C/4.

Ak Jim and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wow, a one owner GTC/4 2+2 with a recent and highly detailed restoration. I loved that car when I was a teenager, almost as much as the Daytona.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's named 365 GTC/4, without the 2+2.

Marcel Massini

Bowzer, -CD- and of2worlds like this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    15787:
    Here's information missing in Sheehan's description:
    Original exterior color: Rosso Cherry 95.3.9301.
    Original interior color: Beige VM 3218 with Panno Rosso.
    Chassis type F101AC 100.
    Engine type F101AC 000.
    Assembly sequence #467.
    Pininfarina Body #455/GTC.

Marcel Massini

Bowzer, sixcarbs and of2worlds like this.
  19. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    That is a stunning example and a safe bet for Ferrari ownership & investment...it suits those who now get into an age and the money to buy a first Ferrari that fits 'their period'...hence 45-55 year old guys and girls...would love to own one myself - one day.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've put the 2+2 in there since the 70's, just like the car mags I read. Not changing for you, old bean.

Now got to bed and get some rest.

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I want to own a C/4 someday, although perhaps not right now. The Sheehan car looks great, but in my opinion red isn't a great color on the C/4, and the red insert seats are interesting... but not something I'd want. There are some cool fabric insert seats on C/4s, but that isn't it. I'd also say they are more than a little optimistic on the asking price... but I can't argue with the idea of starting out high, as you can always reduce.

22. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    I just bought what I think is the lowest mile original 365 GTC4 on the planet, 3633 miles since new. A time capsule for sure.
    Silver/black with dark red carpets. Everything like new, tool kit was never opened, books records, etc.
    Arrives tonight or tomorrow to Carefree, AZ.
    I like the C4 cars, drive better than most Ferrari's, and sound the best. Second one I have owned.
    John

Nembo1777, donv, pilotoCS and 2 others like this.
  23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Like 1000+ How the heck did you find that car? That's an ave of 75 miles per year! Repainted? How was it maintained? US car? Sorry.....so many questions.
    We need pictures!!! Happy for you. The C/4 is a fantastic vintage Ferrari. Almost as practical as my 330 GTC.....had to get my dig....lol.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Sounds great!!! Please post some pics.

25. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Dual purpose, dual fun. If you own it, drive it the way you want. Home Depot if necessary, weekend trips, shows, cruising 150 mph 4th gear at Pocono Raceway (brake for the infield). Sebring, Watkins, Mosport Park, Indy. This is tuned a litter louder than normal but can easily be tamed. Starts with a twist of the wrist. Steering is precise and easy. Cold A/C. for those trips. I was told someone went 400 miles on one tank of gas, I have not gone that far but the range is exceptional under normal driving.

jippiejake likes this.