Alfa 4c production ends | FerrariChat

Alfa 4c production ends

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    A shame, I do not think there ever be another car like that at that price. I am on the hunt for a convertible version, I am going to take it apart a put a 6 cyl engine in it.

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There goes another car with soul.
    Make way for another appliance car.

AHudson likes this.
  4. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Such a shame. I plan to keep mine forever because, as others said, there probably won't be anything else like it--at least for the foreseeable future. It took a lot of flak for being a "drivers car" without a manual option, but I truly believe that if people would've actually driven it, a lot of them would've changed their minds. It's such an engaging little car! I try to drive mine every chance I get.

For anyone that's interested in getting one, there are some amazing deals out there. I bought a leftover new last fall from a dealership for a full 33% off sticker.

arizonaitalian and rdefabri like this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I drove mine this morning. At a stop light a teenager on a skateboard stopped, waved, and gave me a thumbs up.

The 4c has had an impact on young car enthusiasts. I think it will be viewed as that strange little car everyone remembers fondly in the future.

I don't know how many are in the USA but I'm guessing under 3000. Will it be collectible? Maybe. There will always be a group of people who like something pretty, unusual, sporty and Italian.

And ironically, rather reliable.

ypsilon, carguyjohn350 and rdefabri like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  7. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
  8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    From the reports, perhaps the 4c will be extended, because they cancelled everything new they were developing. :(

Seems perhaps letting French accountants control Italian designers was not a great idea.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  9. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Nothing for Alfa romeo is cancelled.

Simply put in freezer for the merger and later....

10. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The thread title can stand I think. If I change it to "4C not dead", then the first posts don't scan.
    Also, if someone searches specifically for "death of the 4C", they will read the thread, one created in the legitimate belief that it has died, and see that new info came to light.

All good IMHO.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I’d trade my E-Type for one...

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I would like a 4c at some point after I get my 2nd house. Odd there seem to be so few with some miles on them. I assumed one could locate a car with 30k miles on it for a good price, but they all seem to have low miles and are $45k+, even the 2015 coupes. Hopefully at some point I can find and afford a 2016 Spyder at some point.

As much as I dislike red cars, the red metallic is nice on the 4c, though white would be my first choice to compliment my yellow Z51 vette..

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    They are a blast I do not like the way they handle with the 19/18" wheel package, my coupe had 18/17" wheels. They are easily modified and once to get used to it easy to get in and out of. I like the steering though some have complained about it. One of the few cars I want a second one of.

14. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Same here! I have a black Spider and would love to add a rosso competizione coupe, but I just can't justify it with the limited time (and garage space) I have to drive it.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I took mine out this morning and every time I do, I understand just how awful cars are today in comparison.

Last week I rented a Nissan something or other visiting my family in Phoenix. Now, I'm sure for the average family this is a great car. But driving a 4c reminds you what a real car should feel like. Over HALF of the owners manual of the Nissan was what you can do on the touch screen and how to use stuff with it.

The 4c is just car. Yes, it has Hvac and a radio. That's it. It took me 3 minutes to figure out the climate control of this Nissan on its touch screen. The screen graphics were ugly, complicated and confusing. I just gave up trying to adjust anything. Even to open the gas cap I had to look up the Owners manual to find out how.

The engine has zero power and would go to passing gear all the time to get out of its own way. The sound from under the hood was like a bunch of loose ball bearings rattling around.

You drive the 4c and you feel an actual vehicle you're controlling. The steering fights back as you feel the actual grip in the tires, not what some programmer thought you should feel. Going hard in the turns it gives you complete confidence and you actually ENJOY putting some elbow grease into it. The brakes have awesome stopping power with a rock hard feel that's very easy to modulate. The engine barks at you when you step on the gas and the pop off value explodes over your shoulder every time you shift. No need to pipe in noises --- they are all there all the time. Feel cold? Just turn the knob like a '63 MBG. How quaint --- yet effective and simple. No instructions necessary.

Even the information on the dash screen is simple, clean, straight forward, and lacking "fancy graphics" or a car "spinning" or other video game nonsense. Here's all you need to know and the easiest way to understand it.

Simple. Purposeful. A joy to drive in today's world of sameness, blandless, and over design.

Its not for everybody who wants that but its the last one we will ever see like it -- unfortunately.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  17. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I agree completely and that’s exactly why I am getting back into a 4C. All these newer cars are just way to detached from the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robocop305 likes this.
  18. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    You nailed it. Exactly how I feel about my car. Aside from the lack of a manual, the only way the car would be better is if we got the much lighter European version. I know the US version technically is probably safer, but from my perspective . . . lighter is better.

I don't get the gripes about the simple controls, the steering wheel, inadequate cup holders, plasticky center console, loud interior, so so stereo, 4-cylinder engine etc etc. People who make these complaints simply don't understand the car's raison d'etre - and probably have never driven a 4C.

IMO, the only modern car that truly compares is the Lotus Elise/Exige.

Robocop305 likes this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree. The 355 has some of the same traits but with a better sounding and more responsive non- turbo engine.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #22 BT, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    I am on the hunt for a Rosso Competizione spider. TheMayor's descriptions are enough for me to make the decision. I have a decent price ($48,800 plus tax) on a very clean 2016 with 12k miles, but am hoping to find a newer, lower mile one for a bit more money. There are a handful of 2018 cars with really low mileage for low $50k. I missed out on a loaded Rosso Competizione example on Carvana last week, but have my name as a backup if the buyer does not close the deal. 2018 with 221 miles loaded for $54,600. Bargain of the year.

Started step 1 today - getting the garage door modified to a high lift setup.
    Step 2 is installing a lift - will be buying one in the next week or so.
    Step 3 is getting the car - hopefully by February.

BT

21. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Not dead just yet, but on hold. Got information from a very reliable source (1:st hand from the factory in Modena ) that they will produce one more batch for the US, then it is over. On hold now since production is in preparation for the new Maserati supercar that will be revieled in May.

22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Thank goodness, horrible car.

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy