Thinking about adding a Speciale to the stable and have some questions? | FerrariChat

Thinking about adding a Speciale to the stable and have some questions?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DoubeApex, Dec 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubeApex

DoubeApex Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    So as the title states, I'm thinking about adding a Speciale to the stable next year. Are there any must-have options that I should look for? Are there any differences between 2014s and 2015s and is either year preferred? Pricing looks to have softened up from the low $400s to the mid $300s, is that where the market is for clean cars? Thanks in advance.

2. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Do a bing search and you will find a video where MOTOR has just selected the Speciale to be the very best sports car of the decade (2010 to 2019). Here is the link as well: https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/opinion-the-best-performance-cars-of-the-2010s-decade

Bottom line, you have solid logic and desire in selecting a Speciale.

I own a 2015 Speciale:[​IMG]

I searched hard for the spec I wanted (low miles, Argento, factory black roof, 100k in carbon fiber options...) and I found it and bought it without reservation. Not sure there are any differences between 14 and 15 models but there are more informed individuals who may have more information on this. I personally wanted the front lift option, fire extinguisher, no leather in the interior, no parking sensors or cameras, all carbon fiber except door handles, mirrors, gas cover and Ferrari badges and no stripe (but I wanted the rare black roof option). Find the spec you want and get it...the most amazing car I have ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Excellent choice!
    The Speciale is just special....
    I have a 2014 white Speciale. I didn’t need any options other than color combo.
    You can add on a bunch of CF ex post facto - I added full engine bay CF, extended CF paddles....
    The only thing I wish I had was rear view camera but not a deal breaker.
    I don’t think you need a front lifter - I never scrape if you drive carefully.
    You are correct, market has softened and you should be able to find a nice example around $350k....take advantage!

Sent from my 16M

4. DoubeApex

DoubeApex Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. What kind of seats are standard in the Speciale and which ones are upgrades? I like the carbon fiber bucket seats in my Porsches. How are Speciales on track?

5. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I think the racing carbon fiber seats are standard as I have them and don’t believe they are a separated option. Would be interested on other opinions here.
    How are they on the track? You can find many articles on this and you will find they are solid and perform incredibly well on the track.

6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Agree with Ed and Clay that you should find the spec that speaks to you the most. Thinking about what were my must have options, from my understanding the Speciale came with most of them standard (CF race seats, CF+LED wheel, bluetooth/radio/speakers). So it was very subjective things like wheel color, exterior color, and stripe color & design that was most important for me. Ultimately the only option I wanted then was the stripe (which most seem to have). I ended up finding exactly what I was looking for and just picked up my '14 Speciale earlier this month

Everything else wasn't a must have for me, in fact I focused more on options I hoped my Speciale wouldn't have (did not want parking camera, parking sensors, front axle lift, CF front or rear diffusers). Functional options like the lift and sensors/camera are must haves for some

No difference for 2014 vs 2015 I think, other than you'll have up to potentially an additional year for the 7 year maintenance pack which is nice. Both will be out of warranty by now, you can pay $5k for a 1 year powertrain warranty from Ferrari if it can pass an inspection by your local dealer

I think Ed was also spot on that $350k should get you a great example in today's market, key word should. I see some of the same Speciales still sitting at prices higher than that and not moving FWIW. Mileage seems to dictate price more than anything

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps. I am realizing more and more how special the Speciale is with every drive

Clay512TR likes this.
  7. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    It seems like so many are in the market right now, does anyone how many are in the US? Do you think prices will be pulling back over the next 12 months?

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I could be totally wrong but I've seen 2500-3000 as a number thrown around some threads here. IMO it feels like there is quite a bit of inventory across the board with an oversaturated market of sports cars recently, searching for nearly any model/manufacturer. Someone else said something to the effect that they could have made 9000 of them and it wouldn't matter, I'd agree - the car is incredible regardless

Prices might go down if this recession comes or one of the millions of things that can happen out of my control, but I always look at it as prices can go down up or stay flat. Won't matter much to me, trying to time the market for a car is not something I do. That being said it looks like Speciale prices for the most part have held up near MSRP or over the last 4-5 years the car has been around FWIW

Caeruleus11 and Clay512TR like this.
  9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    So I just had a ride in a Pista....a little harsh but super performance...does the special ride harsh too? I have a 360 spider, like the ride...would I be disappointed with the more race like feel of the special? I feel that it would be a great car to buy, keep, drive and maybe always be worth kinda what II paid or close? Opinions?

10. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    If by harsh you mean that it tracks, handles, accelerates, brakes, and has the characteristics of a race inspired street legal super car then I agree with your definition...yes the Speciale is “harsh”. Get a 458 Italia for a little more civility. Also, you worry a great deal about “what you pay” ...are you sure you aren’t in the market for a Honda Civic R?

Caeruleus11 and Melvok like this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The Pista rides better (more comfortable) than the Speciale. Speciale you might say is more "raw".

ScottS likes this.
  12. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I don't see anywhere in my post that I "worry a great deal" about what I pay. Keep your comments to yourself

13. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Just an observation, if untrue don’t fret wasn’t meant as a demeaning statement. Just most people I know who buy a Ferrari don’t necessarily put cost as a primary concern...because in most cases you will always lose money on the purchase.

14. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Also I apologize, just realized you did not submit original post...

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Speciale is a nice car but to me it might also be the start of a new trend putting more stress on the show off factor than on real substance.
    In the older days a track oriented car needed to make some compromises, it was mandatory and it defined a genuine character. With the modern technology it's far less clear so it's been substituted by artificial "statements" about radicality or rawness.
    The truth is that a 488 GTB is faster around any track than a Speciale, which to me makes the Speciale's exercice pointless.
    For others, exclusivity, mystique, or whatever are more important than performance - it's fine with me, but I cannot understand when inadequate reasons are recalled.

ferrame likes this.
  16. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    What would happen to Ferrari and the mark if the 488 GTB was not “faster” than the model it supersedes? I would think it is a given that the Speciale is “slower” than the 488...but is “faster” the most important or relevant factor/characteristic? You mention exclusivity and mystique, there are others like aesthetics (many people feel the Speciale is far superior in this regard), technology (for example N/A vs Turbo, many owners do not want or appreciate turbo power enhancements)...bottom line there are many attributes and they are all individually prioritized...so supply/demand and continued favorable prioritization of these attributes really is what constitutes a model’s ongoing popularity.

17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ok, pal, I apologize as well. Cheers!

Clay512TR likes this.
  18. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Most people who have money do worry about what they pay. It would be prudent not to question that. As one F-Chatter said one time. There are people on here who have the means to buy your company and turn it into a parking lot and you never know who they are.

ScottS likes this.
  19. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I would never say due diligence is unnecessary or not important...if I have to break it down though I would ask people to differentiate “worth” vs “cost” and in understanding this they would be able to navigate buying a Ferrari with more finesse.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  21. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Some questions on this Speciale: the cost is stated to be 10k over invoice (so invoice is ~$332k then) but he also says that it has “all the carbon fiber options”. All carbon fiber options would be ~$100k from the factory which would make his invoice more like ~$232??? Also it clearly does not have all the carbon fiber options as just from one picture I can see it does not have front fender fins, hub caps, door handles, mirrors, ferrari badges, or under door panel in carbon fiber. In any case it would be great to see the build sheet.

22. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I cannot read the build sheet on my phone but will print it out and look at it tomorrow and offer more thoughts...

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I don’t know anything about it... he does have the window sticker on last photo but it’s a bit blurry so I can’t read all options.
    Someone should just call him and see...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

24. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Does anyone know what this color is? Is it grigio ferro or titanium? also is ferro a triple coat? thanks!

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hope this helps Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

plastique999 likes this.