3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread | Page 16 | FerrariChat

3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Hi Guys,

Where at the point that the AM 101.1323 Vignale can get her final paint layers.
    Now is my question: what is the correct finish on the underside, wheel well’s and engine compartment?
    All in the same “ structure” or only the engine bay in the structured coating? And the rest in flat black?

thanks for your feedback in advance!

Cheers Martijn

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

2. Bill LeMasters

Dec 12, 2019
    Hi Martijn,

I have some photos of 1323 that answer your question. I used this car as a reference for my restoration of 1317. I am not used to uploading on this format but will try to get you the photos here. I have 10 more if you need them. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the pictures.
    Where did you see the 1323?
    We are extensively restorating the 1323 for the past few years now.
    I did not know if the paint on the bottom was original because it came from the factory in the color Nero.

You can see pictures of the progress on:
    www.classicskills.nl

4. Bill LeMasters

Dec 12, 2019
    Hi Martijn,

I saw it advertised in England years ago and asked for photos because it looked so original except for the paint over. The dealer was very kind and sent me a bunch of photos which were critically helpful for me because 1317 and 1323 are mid production cars with many features unique. My car came to me apart and in boxes so I was desperate to find an original car. 1323 was as close as I got. It is my opinion that the car was almost completely original and not disassembled when the copper/brown was painted over the black except for the dash.

I'm sending photos of the VIN plate, the engine (I like the double plug looms but don't think it came like that) and the shift knob which is a mystery to me. The know is for a five speed but I thought this style knob only came on the four speeds (I once owned 202 with the four speed). I would like to know what you make of the shift knob in the photo, please.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Seems odd that they would put the shift pattern on the knob and also on a plate. One or both are most likely not original. Knob looks newer than the rest of the interior.

Ivan

6. Bill LeMasters

Dec 12, 2019
    Hi Ivan,

Really odd. The four speed had reverse up and to the left as I recall so I am guessing there was another car (ie BMW) with a ZF five speed that used this knob and it was incorrectly added to the Maser - just a guess.

Bill

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Never seen that knob before.
    FGM

8. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Hi Ivan,

What is your take on the under coatings?
    Didn’t you restore your bleu Vignale from top to bottom?

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Maseratis are known for heavy undercoating. I believe this was done mainly as a sound deadening material than to protect the car from rust. This is a photo of the undercarriage of Vignale spyder 1059.

Over time the undercoating got heavier. By the time they got to the Glibli the undercoating was massive! This made the cars more quiet and more in tune with the "a gentleman's sportcars" image that Maserati was trying to portray. I have driven over-restored Maseratis where the undercarriage and fenders were simply painted, and the car sounded terrible ...... like tin cans. If you intend to drive the car then undercoat it.

Ivan

Martin B and Froggie like this.
  10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just make sure you actually paint it well too. Maserati also didn't bother to paint on some cars well and just sprayed the undercoating on bare metal.

Martin B and Froggie like this.
  11. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Guys,
    a friend of mine is doing a restoration on an Indy 4700. The customer would like to paint the car in Verde pavone (a kind turquoise). Max Meyer 16.286.
    On the web I found some Vignale painted in verde pavone. The attached foto is from the internet - found on "Zwischengas".

In the list of the built Vignale spyders from Ermanno Cozza I found some cars which could maybe be painted in this colour: #775, #1017, #1261, #1285, #2775
    Is there somebody in the Ferrari Chat community who has painted a car in this colour or owns a car in this colour. A sample of this colour or a formular from a painter would help very much. Any costs incurred will be reimbursed.

Any recomindation would be helpful.
    Thanks Alfred

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Did you check with Glasurit?

https://www.glasurit.com/en-int/classic-car-colors-online

Ivan

13. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    I checked the Glasurit page, but I did not find the colour "verde pavone" :(
    Alfred

14. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Thanks for the feedback,undercoating will go on next week!

The ppg paint supplier has problems whit the Italver 2000 Nero paint code,is there a later Maserati color code that is the same as the 2000?

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I used PPG single stage black on the Ghibli spyder and it came out fantastic. Painting a car black is extremely challenging as the the body and gaps have to be perfect. The black paint will amplify any imperfections and dirt and minor scratches are impossible to avoid. If I had to do it again I would probably avoid painting the car black. But when the car is clean it looks unbelievable. If you want a deep black color then single stage is the only way to go. After the paint cured I had a ceramic coating applied to minimize scratches.

Ivan

16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    If you have a Vignale Spyder and are long legged, you may want to change out the seats for more leg room on long road tours.
    These "Zenn" seats are the perfect solution. For anyone interested my Zenn vendor has 2 used seats available.
    Keep your originals and drive with these. I really enjoy driving my car with these seats installed.
    Note how far back they recline over the originals in the photo below.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    PS
    There will be a 6 minute drone video coming soon of 101.1121. Look for it on my "carguytour" YouTube channel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

fidjeland likes this.
  17. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    This is where this post should be. Not a new thread.
    FGM

Maserati 3500 Vignale Spyder Trailer 1
    Coming Nov 15th 2020 at 1:00PM Pacific Time A wonderful story of a beautiful Maserati starting with several minutes of detail shots and several minutes driving in the countryside. You can easily see many of the incredible details that only the Italian artisans of Modena can execute. Narrated by Francis G. "Frank" Mandarano the owner and a Maserati historian with over 40 years of experience in owning, driving and restoring these Italian works of Art.
    Mark it on your calendar and please feel free to subscribe to my "carguytour" YouTube channel for notification and other great car and Italy videos on the site and coming.
    Ciao,
    FGM

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour

Maserati 3500 Vignale Spyder Trailer 2
    Coming Nov 15th 2020 at 1:00PM Pacific Time A wonderful story of a beautiful Maserati starting with several minutes of detail shots and several minutes driving in the countryside. You can easily see many of the incredible details that only the Italian artisans of Modena can execute. Narrated by Francis G. "Frank" Mandarano the owner and a Maserati historian with over 40 years of experience in owning, driving and restoring these Italian works of Art.
    Mark it on your calendar and please feel free to subscribe to my "carguytour" YouTube channel for notification and other great car and Italy videos on the site and coming.
    Ciao,
    FGM

19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour

Maserati 3500 Vignale Spyder Trailer 3
    Coming Nov 15th 2020 at 1:00PM Pacific Time
    A wonderful story of a beautiful Maserati starting with several minutes of detail shots and several minutes driving in the countryside. You can easily see many of the incredible details that only the Italian artisans of Modena can execute.
    Ciao,
    FGM

20. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Sorry. Just saw this.
    If still relevant try Dupont 99L.

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    In my book about the 3500GT Spyder by Vignale, I listed no less than 43 different colors!

Amaranto

Argento

Argento Auteuil metallizzato

Argento Luna

Avana

Avorio

Azzurro

Azzurro metallizzato

Azzurro Reale

Azzurro Vincennes

Bianco Avorio

Bianco Polo Park

Bianco Saratoga

Biancospino

Blu

Blu Cobalto

Blu Ischia metallizzato

Blu metallizzato

Blu Sera metallizzato

Blu Tigullio metallizzato

Celeste Ardenza metallizzato

Celeste Chiaro metallizzato

Grigio

Grigio Albany metallizzato

Grigio Fumo

Grigio Grafite

Grigio Inglewood

Grigio metallizzato

Grigio Montebello

Grigio Montebello metallizzato

Grigio Newmarket metallizzato

Grigio Platinato

Grigio Talpa

Oro Antico metallizzato

Rosso Cordoba metallizzato

Rosso metallizzato

Rosso Rubino metallizzato

Verde

Verde Acqua Caliente

Verde Bosco metallizzato

Verde Pavone metallizzato

Verde Savidin

Verde Scuro

Verde Tevere metallizzato

Some of these colors got a new name during the years. But nobody has a correct paint code for some of them like "Verde Pavone" because this color -for example- was individually ordered by the first owner of the car. Confirmed in Pavone is #775 while #1285 is one of only 2 cars that came new in "Verde Inglese" (British Racing Green). #2775 was delivered in "Blue Sera Metallizzato". I doubt that #1017 and #1261 were in Pavone when new.

3500 GT likes this.
  22. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hello Walter,
    Thank your for your post. Yes I own this book and in the meantime I found that there seem to exist 2 types of Verde Pavone. Besides this on a Vignale there exists also a colour on a 3500GT Touring called "Verde Pavone". But this colour is not a metallic one. I wanted to know if somebody made a restoration with this metallic colour and could provide a colour code? But after your post it seems impossible to find a code for a correct Verde pavone in metallic?
    Alfred

p.s.
    this is not a criticism, but I did not find the colour Canna di fucile in your book. But it's still an excellent book - I like it very much.
    maybe a hint for the next release ;)o_O

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    "Canna di Fucile" was named earlier "Grigio Grafite".
    I am pretty sure that nobody has a paint code of "Verde Pavone" in any variant. But this will be solved if any original color chip could be found on another car.
    But this is unlikely...