355 - Oil delivery issue | FerrariChat

355 Oil delivery issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by Buzzl, Dec 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

Noticed oil pressure has been low, properly checked oil and could not get a reading. The next day I drained the oil tank and barley any oil came out, engine was cold at this point. Has anyone ever had this happen? What was the fix?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The oil tank slowly drains to the crankcase ..

Why do you think it is not just low on oil va something else

Did you drain the crankcase ?

Sorry but I just making assumptions since I nee more info

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When cold a correctly filled 355 may only have a quart or two in the tank. Not a bit surprised at your experience.

There are proper ways to determine the real oil pressure. I'd suggest you have someone do it.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You have to run the motor and get it up to temp and check the oil tank stick then. Its dry sump so when sitting for a period the tank can be basically empty. You cant take oil level reading from the tank when cold and especially after sitting. Pressure sending unit perhaps, that's the most likely or easiest to check I suspect.

5. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Did it wrong if I am not mistaken. Tank is pretty dry when cold. All oil is in sump. Have to start, then drain. But has to be at operating temp to do proper change.

Drain Sump, tank and oil filter.

The tank is for circulation, pressurization and expansion. Not storing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

There was probably less than 1/2 qt of oil in tank. Crankcase was drained and plenty of oil came out. Prior to draining, Oil was checked previous day after reaching full operating temp within 10 seconds of engine shut down.

7. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

I did take reading on up to temp motor. Nothing on dipstick. Did not use dipstick on cold engine. Today I drained oil from tank (cold motor) and there was hardly any oil in tank. I then drained crankcase. I’m going to top off, run and Re check to see if I get a reading. Your thoughts?

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #8 Qavion, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019

Doesn't sound good. When did you last check the oil level? Was there any contamination in the filter?

Here is the oil flow path:
    Oil from the tank is gravity fed to the "pressure pump" (there is a pressure adjusting valve associated with this pump).
    The oil is pumped up to the filter and pressure sensor.
    The filter provides oil to the engine for lubrication/cooling.
    The hot oil drains into the sump.
    A "scavenge pump" (with filters on the two inlets) in the sump picks up the oil and sends it to the oil radiator for cooling and back to the tank for the next cycle.

Would a blocked filter cause an increase in pressure (is the sensor upstream of the filter?). What fault would cause both low pressure and little oil in the tank? Would a scavenge pump failure stop oil returning to the tank and therefore give little oil to the pressure pump? Do oil radiators get blocked? I see there is also a filter in the bottom of the oil tank. Has anyone ever checked this?

It's recommended that you clean the filters on the scavenge pump inlets from time to time, but this involves removing the sump. I did this on my last major.

9. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

I forgot to mention that I looked inside the tank when car was running and no oil. This doesn’t look good. May look at removing tank and inspecting.

10. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

Oil has not been checked in 2500 miles. That was when it
    Was last changed

11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Like RifleDriver said, other ways to test and do so properly. Let someone qualified do that and not guess. Low oil pressure would cause other noises and issues. Check it with proper tools and knowledge :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Since you did not check for 2500 miles your pressure issue could be low oil level as it sounds like your motor is burning oil. If you top it up and have pressure again then monitor your oil consumption.

johnk... likes this.
  13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1, the OP could easily be down two or three quarts in that amount of miles...especially if it was kept at the MIN or in-between the MIN and MAX marks. My 355 would consume as much as 1 quart in 900 to 1000 miles if driven spiritedly. For this reason, I kept it topped near the MAX mark. If I was just driving sedately or cruising, I could go 2000 to 2500 miles before adding a quart. Engine was fine, I had two major services and it passed compression and leakdown tests each time...sold it with 62k+ miles on it.

When I bought my car (used), and checked the oil during the first week, it did not measure on the stick. I reread the manual to ensure I was doing it right. (I was new to owning a dry sump engine) Added a quart, still nothing. Called the selling dealer, and they said to add another. Then it read near the bottom. I ended up adding about 4 to 4.5 quarts to get it near the MAX mark.

14. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    You should be checking that oil every single time you fill it up with fuel just on principle!

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I never check mine. Over the period of a year between oil changes it never goes down enough to worry about so the only time the dipstick gets used is when I fill it.

WATSON and johnk... like this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Generally yes, unless you have a car you KNOW eats oil then you have to check regularly. The catch is, until you know if you have an oil eater you should check regularly. This can help others avoid the issue encountered by the OP. Once you establish you do not have an oil eater your good with much less frequent checks. I checked after every drive for first 1000 miles. The manual lists something absurd like burning a quart every 1K miles as normal without getting into why they did that. Why some don't burn any that is notable while others burn a notable amount is discussion for another thread.

Check until you know your car regularly when warm is basically good advice.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know what the issue of the OP is.

1) Low oil pressure? How low? What did the guage say at warm idle?

2) Did the low oil pressure light come on?

3) Ok, he drained all the oil. How much came out? How much did he put back in? (quarts, litters?)

f355spider and Rifledriver like this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lots of talk, lots of hand wringing, lots of advice, no information.

Beetle likes this.
  19. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yes totally agree with rifle driver and ferrarium.... once you learn your cars consumption habits if any then you can adjust how often you check the oil. For me it's about every six months or so and I still have not really ever added more than a pint.

20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    In the case of 348, the manual recommends checking oil level every 500 km. As the specified oil consumption for the 355 is 1-2 Lit. per 1000 km, and as 2 Lit. is the oil volume between the max & min marks, oil level on the 355 should also be checked every 500 km (when you may have to add as much as 1 Lit.).

21. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney