308 QV Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement | FerrariChat

308 QV Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Dec 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Was unable to find a step by step guide for changing crank position sensor‘s so I thought my experience might be of help to someone in the future.
    My 308 is a 1985 Euro QV model but the Process should be the same (or very close) for all QV models 83–85.

Changing all (3) crank position sensor‘s took me around 8 hrs. total because of my leisurely pace, couple coffee breaks and lunch. The job wasn’t hard at all, and with anything Ferrari don’t get in a hurry.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Tools required for the job.
    1/4” ratchet
    1/4” x 3”extension
    1/4” deep 8mm socket

3/8” ratchet
    3/8” swivel
    3/8” x 6” extension

3/8” sockets - 10 mm, 13mm, 17mm
    Phillips screwdriver
    Regular screwdriver
    Very small regular screwdriver

adjustable mirror
    Pen style magnet
    Floor jack, two jackstands, lug nut wrench.
    Additional Image Unavailable, Please Login Lighting and a flashlight.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    You’ll need to remove the left rear wheel (Driver side) and inside fender skirt.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Loosen the lug nuts on the left rear wheel (just a little bit). And place jackstands under frame at rear of vehicle. You’ll need to have the vehicle raised at least 10”-12” off the ground at the front of the rear wheel opening so to be able to access the crank sensor located at the 7 o’clock position.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Once the vehicle is secured on the jackstands, left rear tire and fender skirt is removed.
    Remove the side scoop ducting that runs from the scoop to the oil cooler. It’s held in place by 1 - 10mm bolt/washer and set pieces aside.
    Locate the crank position sensor at 3 o’clock position.
    NOTE- All (3) crank position sensor‘s are held in place by two 8mm nut/washers.
    Remove the 2 - 8 mm nuts and remove the washers with the pen magnet. You may half to rock the position sensor from side to side to loosen the washers.
    The sensor can now be lifted up and off the threaded studs.
    The electrical connector for the position crank sensors is secured in place by a metal spring clip. Turn the connector over till you see the end of the spring clip and then gently pry the end of the clip outward so you can get your fingers under the clip and gently pull it out of its seat and then set it aside. The connector can now Image Unavailable, Please Login be disconnected and position crank sensor unit removed.

thorn likes this.
  5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Use this old crank position sensor and check it against the (3) New crank sensors to ensure the connector is the same and make sure the holes for the mounting studs are the same distance apart.
    My new crank position sensor‘s had mounting holes that were farther apart so I needed to mount each one in the vice and using an air Dremel tool oblong the mounting holes.(this can also be completed with a small round hand file) Then place each one on the mounting studs of the original sensor at 3 o’clock position to check that the mounting holes are Image Unavailable, Please Login close enough for the new sensor to slide over the studs and set flat in position.

Now you should have all (3) New sensors test fit and ready to proceed. Take note how wiring for sensors or routed to connectors.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice write up, thanks for the step by step instructions. Did you notice any difference in the way the car runs and idle?

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Accessing the crank position sensor at 11 o’clock position.

to access this sensor I found it easiest to first remove the front bank distributor cap and let it lay against the cam cover and firewall. I then disconnected the (3) vapor hoses that attached to the oil breather.
    #1 - hose that connects to the top of the oil breather and runs under the Plenum to the airbox.
    #2 - connects to the oil breather and cam cover crossover pipe.
    #3 - is the small vapor line that connects to the left rear corner of them Plenum. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
  9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Finally the last crank position sensor located at the 7 o’clock position is pretty self-explanatory, and needs to be accessed from underneath.

reassembly - be sure to connect oil breather vapor lines to their respective places before mounting the oil breather once again to the bell housing. Makes it Sooo much easier.

couple of tips. - I found that when trying to reinstall the 8mm nuts to the studs that if I place a small scrap of paper towel over the end of the socket and then press the 8mm nut into that scrap pushing nut and paper towel into the end of the socket held nut from falling out until positioned and threaded over stud. I tiny drop of super glue on the washer placed over the nut held it in place until it was positioned in threaded also. That’s about it!

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    • Oh and one last word of caution.
    • DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN 8mm nuts. They are just holding that tiny sensor in place. Snap off one of those mounting studs and your week just got very ugly LOL Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Mike good morning and thanks. Pretty safe to say I won’t be a novelist. No, haven’t started the car yet as it’s 28° with a cold north wind. Supposed to jump back up to the 38° range in the next day or two.

miketuason likes this.
  12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Been chasing a slight miss for quite some time..
    Here’s the original crank sensors Image Unavailable, Please Login

One last comment. If you need to oblong the holes on the new sensors, make sure that you clean any metal shavings off the sensor For installing.

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I can’t find the sensors with the right plug/harness/connector to mate with my ‘80 gtsi.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had one go bad on me at Road Atlanta back in about 06. Above about 2500 or 3000, it worked - below that I had a 4 cylinder.

My home is on the east side of Birmingham and about 1 mile from the interstate exit. I drove it home non stop and dealt with the small hand full of stoplights leaving the track to the highway with the side of my foot on the gas.

Stressful trip. I should not have done that but I did and it made it no problem.

I won't do that again.

308 milano likes this.
  15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    308 milano likes this.
  16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Noticed that the last couple months when I would start my car it would run poorly and then just quit. Twice had to push it back into the garage. Decided it was time to change them out. Also found a damaged vapor line that I hadn’t noticed before.

17. ashie

ashie Rookie

Aug 26, 2015
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Greg Ashe
    Hi - I'm really interested in this thread and have a couple of questions. Reason is that I have a very sudden and intermittent ignition cutout problem with my 308QV. It's total ignition, both banks. It's intermittent and it is heat-related as it doesn't happen until the car is at full operating temperature. As it's total and both banks, I'm thinking it logically has to be something *before* the coils and not coil failure or anything else downstream from there.

Does anyone think this might be my problem?
    Do they fall in and out intermittently before they finally die?
    Can the failure of only one cause complete ignition failure?
    Are they all the same part? I can only find one type on superformance.co.uk

Any answers greatly appreciated!!
    Cheers
    Greg

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I see you also posted in the “technical section”. Very good idea.
    Steve Magnuson and the guys will get you fixed up. :)

19. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    SteveM will get you fixed up - but till then-
    Have you checked the #3 fuse for the fuel pump?
    Have you replaced the fuel pump relay?
    Is the Warm up regulator and AAV valve working properly.
    Have you replaced the relay on the ECU board it’s the overload protection relay that has been superseded by a fused Porsche ABS relay.
    I’ve had similar gremlins on my 85QV

20. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    Has anyone tried cleaning and reinstalling the original sensors?

21. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Sounds like exactly what I was having a few months ago, and traced to a toasted RPM sensor (That's the one that is shared by both front and rear bank ignition boxes.) It turns out the harness had gotten a little too friendly with the oil return hose, which slowly killed it. It progressively began failing at lower and lower temperatures.

You can test it pretty easily with a multimeter and a heat gun (or hair dryer). Resistance through the sensor should be ~600 to 1000 Ohms throughout the plausible temp range of the motor. Mine was 680 at 50F, but at 80F, it was already up 1000, and at 81F, the reading went infinite. Which basically meant it was telling the ignition modules "the motor stop spinning, so hold fire on the sparks, please." As the OP suggested, you may have to oval-out the holes in the bracket on the replacement sensors. The most readily available replacement isn't quite a perfect fit--but it does the job.

Also, for future reliability, make sure the lead to the sensor isn't rubbing against the oil line like mine was...

22. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is that a sign of a bad rear main seal?

23. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    IMHO - these cars are getting old. It's not worth the headaches of pulling the old sensors, testing, remounting, only to find out a short time later that the problem doesn't go away & you have to replace them anyway.
    I did replace mine. the old ones did bench test fine and weren't soaked in oil. But one or more were intermittent.

24. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Are the part numbers the same for all three sensors? Looks like I have to replace at least one. Should I do them all at the same time?

Lots of questions here…

PDG