355 - Stand alone EMS on a 355 | FerrariChat

355 Stand alone EMS on a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by chrisj951, Dec 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Curious if anyone has replaced the Bosch engine management system with a Motec or any other EMS? I know our cars run rich and we are probably leaving power on the table. Having the ability to tune the car exactly how one would want it is intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I believe we had a member a few years ago that was trying to get a Motec to work on a 355.

I have retrofit F.A.S.T. EMS products to a couple of racing engines but the 355 presents some unique challenges. Without the fuel maps, everything would have to be "learned" by a wide band O2 sensor. I'm not sure that would result in an optimal configuration without access to a 355 engine mounted on a dyno. That would be the only way to get a side by side comparison between a Bosch and another EMS system. Even then.....I'm not sure you will end up in a better place.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Keep seeing this posted but have never seen any evidence to support it. Fwiw both my 95 and 99 had near perfect air/fuel ratios on the dyno.

I do think it would be nice to run modern engine management. I do plan to do it at some point.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yuuup folks are reading too many Honda stories LOL, well thats what the boss told me

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There is a prolific poster in the Oz section who has a 355CH (road legal) which is running MOTEC and has been for years.
    I'll see if I can direct him here.

Of course, you'll have to wade through a mountain of BS, but.... :D

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I would find it hard to believe there isn't some gains to be had.

Whether or not it would be worth the endeavor however is another question.

8. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a '96 355CH with MOTEC that has been dyno'd several times with 247KW at the rear wheels

It's running the M8 version (which is pretty old and I have thought of updating the system)

One of the expensive portions of the upgrade is you will need to get a new wiring loom along with several other things like throttle position sensor and I was told this is circa AUS$15k

I have had a couple of WOT issues on track days but generally the system is very good and you don't get stupid "check engine" lights :)

At least I don't go and buy carbon fibre flappy paddles like someone I know :p

Qavion and Steve355F1 like this.
  9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You forgot to mention that it was dynod side by side on the same dyno with another 355ch, and it had significantly more HP. MoTec can be the only reason.

10. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Ill bet that 130ps gain was with the lid open on the dyno. The ambient air temp that engine would draw in with the lid closed would kill the power surely.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    247 kw = ?? What 330 rwhp? Doesnt sound like much if that is the case. What was the other CH making?

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The other had 20hp less from memory. Not a lot. I don't think you'd bother with it unless you were racing or had expensive ECU problems already. No CEL ever is nice though.

It has a bit more midrange and better throttle response too.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yeah one of my 95's is the same the other way past that with the 2.7. Trick is loose the bypass valve and retune for that

Running wide open for an hour or so in 100+ degree temps can get tricky. I'm sure they have lots heat down that side of the world as I been reading :)

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the dyno people I did it with said 410 horses after they fixed the TPS which caused erratic idling (got me an $1800 fine from our "wonderful coppers" for blipping the throttle as I was driving away from a breath testing :rolleyes: )

I find the MOTEC quite transparent to driving but comes into it's own on the track ..... no other 355 comes near it if all is working as expected :)

GTUnit likes this.
  15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hotter than a boilermaker's jockstrap right now

16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Didn't Steve beat you? :D

Steve355F1 likes this.
  17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yeah I see that on the news STAY SAFE !!!!! We get the same crap out here in summer

18. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So, what's the hp v kg equation then with these cars?
    ie. A weight saving of, say, 20kg is equivalent to how many hp?

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't think there could be a meaningful hp to kg equation.

For one, weight reduction helps in every category, be it acceleration/handling/braking. (well as long as the weight reduction doesn't completely destroy balance but I don't think that's a common scenario with these cars).

Even if you're looking at in in terms of purely acceleration, the lighter the car the more weight reduction matters as it's a greater percentage of total weight.

(100lbs off of a 3000lb car is going to help more than 100lbs off of a 5000lb car)

20. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    LOL. Nice. We would get along just fine.

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I was up at Walkersport in the UK about 6 months ago, and Tim had two Challenge spec cars there, I mentioned I had a couple of spare ecu for them and he said they now run stand alone in the race series they run in, so maybe worth a chat with him