Want to rent or borrow 458 fuel pump lock ring tool 95978175 | FerrariChat

Want to rent or borrow 458 fuel pump lock ring tool 95978175

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Yellowgallardo1, Nov 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Anyone have the fuel pump lock ring tool they want to loan out or rent or?Im replacing a fuel pump and don’t really want to drop 400 on this tool. Or anyone they have one they want to get rid of on the cheap?
    Thanks

2. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Or possibly a non Ferrari tool that works. It looks different than a regular fuel pump lock rock that’s only threaded on

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You can use a large flat bladed screwdriver or a small pry bar with a flat end and a dead blow hammer to tap on the flat gussets that are on the edge of the fuel pump locking ring to loosen or tighten it.

There are also generic adjustable special sockets for these rings that only cost 20-30$. Do a google search for fuel pump ring removal tool. You might have to modify one slightly to work.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Yah, that’s how I usually get them off. No success on that route. I can get it to move a tiny bit but not enough to remove. Wasn’t sure if the factory took was any different .Ive removed the ground and the plastic lock piece .

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Once you remove the black plastic lock (safety clip), you only turn the ring nut until the aluminum pin (that the ground cable screws into) on the fuel tank that the safety clip was blocking, contacts the other side of the slot in the ring nut (just a very small amount). Then the nut should lift straight off. Note that the notch/tang that the orients the pump top in the top of the fuel tank. Ferrari wants you to replace the seal and ring nut with new parts after removal.

Also note that the pump assembly turns and locks into the bottom of the fuel tank.

Brian Brown

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Thanks for the reply, I couldn’t to get the lock ring to move any more of maybe 1/4 of an inch. Ill have to take a better look at it. I ordered the lock ring and o-ring already. I ordered another tool off amazon as well hopefully will give me more leverage. It’s kind of at a weird angle for a BFH and pry bar to tap it loose.
    I Appreciate your help though. I figured with the age of the 458 there would be more diy guys

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I think that you are not understanding how the locking ring is secured to the fuel tank. The tank does not have a threaded bung that the ring screws onto.
    Rather than having threads, it has teeth all the way around the outer diameter of the bung hole. The locking ring engages with these teeth and it only takes a tiny part of a turn to engage or disengage the ring from the tank. When it is locked on, the aluminum peg where the ground wire attaches is at the left side of the slot in the plastic locking ring. It will disengage when the ring is turned counter clockwise so that the peg is at the right side of the slot. At this point the ring should lift straight up. I will PM some more information when I get a chance.

Brian Brown

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    yah I could see that much, a lot of it right now is I’ve pulled a muscle in my back and it’s a mf to try to bend over it and look. I had my phone in there doing a video so i could see the teeth lol

9. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Well generic tool worked. My fat arm can’t get in at the right angle to get the fuel pump unlatched though. This car is made to be worked on by a tall thin man lol

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    anyone have a tip for how to clip the strap back on top of the intank pump ?

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    We need photo's please !!

12. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    There’s a metal strap that clips over the fuel pump after you seat it in there. It’s a mf’er to get back on unless I don’t have it seated right
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
  14. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It looks like the pump is installed in the correct orientation, as long as it is engaged with the retainer in the fuel tank floor. Did you rotate the pump clockwise and feel it engage? If so, then you will have to find someone with thin/longs arms to lift the retaining clip over the top of the pump, or make some kind of tool to lift it up.

Brian Brown

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    yah, I clipped it in.Just need that last piece to put it back together.

16. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You need to find someone with long and thin arms get the clip back in place. Any neighborhood teenagers that are into cars to help out?

Brian Brown

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Lol I’m having a employee come by and help. It doesn’t look that far down in the tank but i’m bicep deep in it! Talk about a pain!

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  19. ByFranco

ByFranco Rookie

Jun 7, 2010
    Hi, I'm having the same issue trying to remove the blue plastic nut. My question is what universal tool off of amazon did you use? Thanks -

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    When I changed the fuel pump on my 360, I believe I ended up using a rubber strap wrench. Also, sometimes that "locking ring" isn't on there all that tight. You can get a piece of wood and tap it around and get it to start spinning sometimes.

Have you tried to turn yours yet? Or are you just preparing for the job?

Ray

21. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    Did your LH fuel pump actually go bad? I think that my 458 spider's LH fuel pump is going bad; however, it only makes noise when I have driven the car to redline. It will sound like a can of marbles right above the rear quarter panel and then goes away, then comes back when I redline it again.