Battery Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Battery Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by SlowScud, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is the old Granite Digital battery charger isn't it. Yes, I have one of those too and it is great.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #27 Rifledriver, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    They made a serious mistake and used those for a brief period of time then came to their senses. I was retained as an expert in a case of a 16M with a history of electronic gremlins and I had developed a pretty good case of tying it to the Optima. It was settled and I was paid off before my part came to fruition. If my car had one of those in it I would throw it in the dumpster today and get a real battery.

I should also say it was my opinion while researching it that Ferrari quit using those because they new in house they were causing issues with the cars.

Red 27, Flea7 and f355spider like this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Put an Antigravity lithium ion battery in it, replacing the Optima. Voltage, output, more uniform, and more stable over time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes. When the Optima red top is occasionally been tested by Consumer Reports, they have always been only mid pack at best, once I recall it was at the bottom (ratings can vary depending on the size tested). But surprisingly, the Optima yellow top deep discharge version consistently rates highly. The problem is Optima doesn't make a yellow top in a Group 34R. I had a friend figure out that at least on the F355, the cables are long enough that he could fit a yellow top Group 34. No such luck in any other Ferrari I am aware of. I wonder what is different in the design of the yellow top deep discharge version?

5. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm interested in the anti gravity battery for the 430. Any recommendations on which one to get between the different models for the 430?

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Watch this...normal guys video on the antigravity battery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Pretty sure it will take an H6. Get the 40Ah version. Ask Scott at Antigravity if you’re not sure. You will need a lithium ion-specific battery tender, as you can’t use one for a lead-acid battery.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks. The Ah version is what I was wondering about.

Steve

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I recently went through this for my 991 Porsche turbo, whose stock battery is a 60 lb. H8. I went with 40Ah. 60Ah in Li ion is overkill, unless you have a lot of power accessories that you leave on with the engine off, was what I was told. 30Ah works but could be dicey in really cold weather, so I went with 40Ah. Saved around 40 lbs and that weight is up high near the base of the windshield, not low on the floor in a Ferrari, so it will have a greater effect.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Agreed with other posts on parasitic drain. A great float charger is worth the investment to keep from replacing batteries due to deep discharge and shortened capacity.

Depending on your climate, it may be doubly necessary. My garage is not heated but it hovers around 35-40F in the winter and a battery will be unable to start in 3 weeks without a tender with the car unlocked and all accessories powered down.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    As crazy as it sounds, several years ago the Die Hard Platinum were a rebadged Odyssey marine battery with a 5 year warranty. I ran those in all of my cars for years until they lowered the warranty to 4 years and changed manufacturers again. That was one of the best batteries you could get without going with a specialty battery like a Braille.

Gumart1 likes this.
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Same, that Diehard/Odyssey was a brute. But I hear the current Diehard AGM manufactured (I believe) by East Penn is also a quality battery. Most of the East Penn batteries (branded Rayovac or Duracell) are rated well. They are also sold at Batteries Plus and Sams Club stores.

Gumart1 and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  13. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I am going to be gone for 3 months this winter, should I disconnect the battery or leave it on the tender for 3 months? I have a 08 scud.

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Leave it on a tender. But, in a case where it will be unattended that long, you need a tender that does not have switches or buttons that require activating when you initiate it. The problem is if there is any sort of interruption of power, it will not resume charging after power is restored. So make sure the one you select will automatically resume after power interruption. This is one great feature of the Granite Battery Saver tenders, and most models from Deltran. Others from Griots Garage, NOCO and Ctek often have various buttons that need to be pressed to start them charging. This is not normally a problem, but for a situation where it may not be checked on at least once every couple weeks, that could end up being a problem if there is a power interruption. Or, have someone check on the tender status once a week.

Skidkid and Apollo 11 like this.
  15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    My Ctek 7002 doesn’t need to be switched on. Just plugged in. But a good point.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

f355spider likes this.
  16. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub