360 - My pre-cat cataclysm: cut losses or double down? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 My pre-cat cataclysm: cut losses or double down?

Discussion in '360/430' started by basscase415, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I let my engine idle for approx 5 minutes before calling it a day. Noise was very loud when it first started up, it did quiet down a fraction but was still loud! Could hear it in the cabin very noticeable.

Did not drive the car nor move it. Just idled for a bit, gave it a little rev to 3000RPM which the noise follows the engine speed before shutting down.

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Pre-cat trouble can be confined to the header. Mine rattled a bit when cold. When I took the header off you could hear the cat core rattling around when you shook it. No other damage. I wish you the same.

3. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Scoping has confirmed damage on at least one piston, and by what sounds like reasonable inference from the appearance of the cylinders, untold valves. I’m told what is seen is generally consistent with pre-cat failure. So I’m looking at an engine-out rebuild, engine swap or selling it as-is at a big loss.

Not sure what I’m going to do right now, as I’m pretty nauseous about this whole circumstance. I knew these cars had significant risks but I thought I had them reasonably mitigated by the seemingly high-quality car I chose, my conscientiousness on maintenance/repair and the background knowledge I tried to gather in endless hours lurking here.

I’m still trying to figure out whether I was just really unlucky or, as my wife believes, just really foolish. That’s probably going to drive how I proceed as much as the numbers.

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    basscase, very sorry to hear this news. The advantage of an engine swap is that you have a spare and taking the necessary steps to prevent it from happening again. Without considering the cost of a rebuild vs. a swap there are clear advantages in swapping the motor if you want to keep the car.

A rebuild might impact resale less than a motor swap if you choose this route, but you are losing three ways: you won't be driving it and enjoying it, the new owner gets a rebuilt motor that will last that won't suffer the same issue, and you take a loss in both the repairs and potentially on resale. If you swapped the motor and keep the car, you lose out the least, have a spare, and don't have to play the if-but-when game.

5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Bad news but **** happens, its just a lesson in life..and if you chose a clean car your wife really shouldn't think you are foolish, this can happen to anyone!

I had the change out the cats & headers in mine, when they scoped the cats one of them was already disintegrating at the edge or whatever..thank God i avoided that grenade...but it was expensive & i was surprised since my car was a very clean car. Pretty much on these cars you need to do the headers & keep inspecting original cats with each service to avoid this hassle ( i had 200 cell cats installed as mine were far gone, and i don't like their sound)

Dont really have advice to give you, but i think when something like this happens, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth & kind of effects your relationship w the car..i just sold my 360 today after doing all that work headres/cats and a bunch of other stuff to it as i was just over it (bought a 458)

I'd say you maybe best off just selling it as is if you dont' have the time and dont' want to deal with headache of rebuild..or you can buy a new good used engine which will probably be the least expensive option you go with

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Used f car ownership will test a relationship for sure. You are not foolish. Shiz happens... unfortunately f shiz is $$$.

agreed on engine swap
    Allow option for new owner to keep the old engine if you sell.

also if you did a ppi, to me this just shows the limitations of these inspections. Not saying to skip it.. but know it’s just a check and no guarantee.

if my car did this— I would pull the engine my self. Then use this failure as an opp to address any main pm’s with the engine out. Then when done you will have a true bullet proof car for many years... and a perhaps better than stock performance.

this is how I’d sell it to my wifey.

hang in there.

also I’m seeing 360 engines for 10-15k.

be sure to do proper due diligence on used engine. Ideally buy from wrecked but running wreck. Leak down test, scope cyls, check vin, etc etc..

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also- repairing your engine should not be doubling down.

If this was a race car it would just be a service event. Again I’m rationalizing.

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Sorry to hear it. I am a buyer if you decide to sell it as is, looking for a project.

basscase415 and one4torque like this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    After having a similar but less catastrophic incident, and realizing what my car sounded like before and after, I think I can identify the sound of a failing pre-cat. There is a distinct rattling metallic sound that is not present on healthy cars. It’s easy to overlook and dismiss as normal because it doesn’t sound bad, and over half of the cars I’ve listened to since have had the same noise. So while I used to think this is a rare event that only affects cars driven hard, like at the track, I’m thinking now it’s more like if you have that noise, it’s only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    damn sorry to hear this....guess I dodged that bullet as well. Try exotic car parts in Rancho Cordova CA, they have motors I believe or Ferrparts in Sacramento. Your in Calif yes?

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Need4speed - can you post up some sounds clips? I'm sure this thread is getting a few 360 owners into -pro-active-mode-.....

kes7u likes this.
  12. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    From my own experience, during my last annual service (6 months ago), Brian had noticed a sound which ultimately was diagnosed as an early sign of pre-cat failure that he caught before any damage was done.

I decided to replace both pre-cats and that was very expensive. My plan was to then sell the Ferrari and my daily driver this year and get one fun car that I drive on a daily basis, ideally with 4 seats.

After contemplating a number of different options, my current thought is to just keep both cars. The logic is even though you can get hit with some expensive repair bills, the 360 depreciation is relatively low. Any other car that would remotely get me excited, would have a much higher depreciation that would offset any savings in maintenance.

So whether you should sell your car or double down really comes down to whether you still enjoy the 360 and what other car options you find exciting.

Hope this helps....

Need4Spd and EastMemphis like this.
  13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    JaguarXJ6, basscase415 and Need4Spd like this.
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brogen - good find!

15. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    I just want to give a big thanks to everyone here on FChat. I've received many supportive comments and helpful suggestions both public and private.

As a result of these suggestions and contacts, I'm feeling more optimistic that this is going to end up being a bump in the road rather than the end of the road. To the extent that anyone else in a similar situation might benefit, I'll try to keep this updated with whatever I learn along the way.

16. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Bringing this back from the dead to add a happy resolution to the story. If nothing else I'm hoping my experience serves as a useful case study for pre-cat failure risks and outcomes.

tl;dr: Brian Crall (Rifledriver) fixed my car and saved the day.

To recap, one of my pre-cats failed on a drive last December. The engine barely ran afterwards and it sounded horrific (see my earlier video). A diagnostic assessment from a reputable local shop indicated likely piston/valve damage, accompanied by a pretty brutal teardown-and-repair estimate (I live in a high-cost area). Given the market value of my 40k-mile car, I didn't see the economic case for repair at those numbers. I was mentally pivoting to selling the car as-is, perhaps to some ambitious DIY-er.

On the suggestion of a helpful FChatter, I contacted Brian Crall and ended up sending my car to him in Texas for a second opinion. He performed his own diagnostics and found no evidence of damage in my engine. Leak down test results were "perfect". Scoping showed no damage at all. The engine would still need teardown to clean out pre-cat debris and to perform a detailed inspection, but since no damage was expected to be found, his estimate was vastly lower than the first one.

Teardown only confirmed Brian's positive assessment: zero damage was found, not even on the rings and cylinders that presumably would be the most susceptible to the presence of foreign debris.

This outcome was a game-changer. I have the car back now and it's seemingly in fine fettle. While I wouldn't wish a pre-cat failure on anyone, there is something to be said for having a nationally-renowned Ferrari expert go over your 18-year-old engine with a fine-toothed comb.

Brian was also a pleasure to work with: straight talk, detailed explanations, made no promises he couldn't fulfill. He was courteous, meticulous and his costs were entirely reasonable. I won't disclose them, but I don't mind if he does, as it might help folks with aging OEM headers who are weighing the risks.

If Brian comes out looking like a hero from this episode, from my perspective it was well-deserved. I only regret that due to the COVID situation I couldn't visit his shop, even if only to shake his hand. I intend to in the future.

And hopefully not because of another pre-cat failure! Yes, I went with new OEM headers again, even after all of this. No, I'm not a glutton for punishment. Just a law-abiding resident of CA.

Special thanks to Brian, the FChatter who DM'd me to suggest that I contact him, and all the helpful well-wishers in this thread.

armedferret, AndreB, BrettC and 12 others like this.
  17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If I may ask, what caused your engine to run so badly? Did material from the precat get into the engine? It would be nice to have more of a post mortem on your repair. Thanks in advance.

BJK likes this.
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Happy ending!

basscase415 likes this.
  19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Like I said, mine ate both and there was no problem. They took the heads off and did a little cleaning of the flecks of metal that stuck around the cylinder heads, but it was basically a nothingburger compared to the doom and gloom I was told to expect.

20. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    I can't speak for Brian, and I'm reluctant to paraphrase what he told me, because I'm sure I'll get something wrong in translation. However because I'm not sure if he will chime in, the following is my (admittedly-naive) understanding.

Pre-cat material from the one failed header regressed into its bank of cylinders, and then all the way back into the intake manifold. From there I believe it spread to other cylinders. When I last had the car, it had misfire codes on all cylinders but one, even though only one side had actually failed.

One thing to note here-- I never revved the engine after the failure, but it did get limped a short distance in the process of shipping etc. So I'm not sure how valve timing overlap might have played into the propagation of material "upstream".

Pre-cat material was apparently interfering with complete valve sealing, but not to the extent that piston contact was occurring. One thing I don't understand is how Brian's leak down results ended up being so strong. Perhaps he found a way to get the valves to seal without getting the heads off? In any case his diagnostics ended up being correct, so he has his methods.

What I took away is that regressed pre-cat material is usually too small and soft to cause damage to pistons and valves, or apparently even to the piston rings and cylinder walls. Our engine internals are apparently very robust. I believe it's still possible for damage to occur, but it sounds rare. I'm not sure what those conditions would be.

After going through this failure, I went with the OEM headers again on this general understanding:
    - The failure is still rare for well-maintained, non-abused cars like mine.
    - Failure can often be detected in advance by a qualified tech.
    - If it did fail again, most likely I would need this same kind of "mild rebuild" another 40k miles out.

For how much I like the car, and the mileage I put on, I can live with that.

21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    What does "pre-cat material" look like?

is it white powder substance?

22. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    I don't know. That would go a long way towards explaining the high MSRP of new OEM headers though, assuming it's the high-grade uncut stuff.

430tdf, armedferret and one4torque like this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    H
    It looks like this (from a 360 CS)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

one4torque likes this.
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

BrettC likes this.
  25. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I just happened upon this thread and had read the whole first page before I realized how old it was. I am so pleased to have reached the end and there was a happy ending. Thanks for the glowing kudos for Brian. People give him a hard time, he seems quite knowledgeable and willing to help, which is sometimes rare.

one4torque and basscase415 like this.