488 cam cover oil leak | FerrariChat

488 cam cover oil leak

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mike32, Jan 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Out of interest has anyone experienced an oil leak from the cam cover on a 488

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

It's a bit of a cluster... I don't quite know what's going on with them, but the single LH/RH valve cover gaskets went through a bunch of supersessions and are now supplied as distinct intake/exhaust 'sides', per bank. So 4-total gaskets instead of two. They're all the same as the GTC4 now:

I'm not even sure if I've got this quite right, but I think the part numbers are now :
    781925 AND 781926 on the LH side
    781918 AND 781924 on the RH side

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Only reason i ask is that i saw one at the main dealers with the engine taken out to cure a cam cover oil leak, appears the top cam bearing is part of the cover, rather than a half bearing bearing you bolt through to the head.
    They have to lock the engine in position and then remove the cam cover to change the gasket.
    This car was in its warranty period, but its about 35 hours work to fix. Bit daft design for a road car

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Oh, don't worry. They have 15 new models that'll be released by June. Why bother with all that messy 'aftersales' stuff when you can just crank out cars like cookies?

(er, 'biscuits' as you call them)