Muted sound of F1 has brought families to the track ?? | FerrariChat

Muted sound of F1 has brought families to the track ??

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mercedes: Muted sound of F1 has brought families to the track

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/705809/Mercedes_Muted_sound_of_F1_has_brought_families_to_the_track/

Mercedes engine boss Andy Cowell says the muffled and less aggressive sound of F1's hybrid engines has encouraged families to attend Grand Prix weekends.
    Formula 1's engines have seen incredible advancements in terms of energy efficiency since the advent of the hybrid era in 2014.

But for all the technological prowess achieved by the sport's power unit engineers, one area in which the engines have failed in the ears of the fans is sound.
    The low-key strangled melody of today's F1 engine is a far cry - pun intended - from the screaming, earth-shattering, soul-stirring, high-revving pitch of the V10s and V8s from the previous decade or the nineties.

But Cowell - the man who supplies the power to Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas cars from Mercedes' HPP factory in Brixworth - believes F1's typical hybrid engine sound has had a positive impact on race attendance figures.
    "In 2014, none of our engines were particularly well tuned, we were running a light-weight exhaust system, and so not equal length primaries," said Cowell, speaking in a Motorsport magazine podcast.
    "I think now everybody's got a very well tuned engine, all the lengths are a nice equal size, and I think the sound is pleasant, the volume isn't high, but it's still pretty noisy.

"Now all the other supporting championships have got turbocharged engines, and they all sound fairly similar. I think we're seeing more families go to the circuit.
    "Previously, with the screaming V8s and the screaming V10s, there was no way a child would go anywhere near a circuit. You wouldn't inflict that on your child.

2. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    I wonder how many have stopped going because of the muffled lawnmower sound? F1 needs to trash the hybrid engines. Bring back the NA V8/V10’s.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think there is any chance of that !!

F1 is gone into a completely different direction.

4. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    I agree...but one can dream

lorenzobandini likes this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

F1 Disneyland is just around the corner.

Next up - live concerts ordered to turn down their audio volume to 4, so that families can enjoy their picnics and bickering in peace :D

500drvr and lorenzobandini like this.
  6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Yep, straight to crap is the direction, glad I had the opportunity to attend over 20 races in person when it was worth going...

7. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Give the kids ear protection and let it rip. The sound was one of the features of our annual trips to the Glen and Montreal. That article is b@**@@it!

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This is utter bull ****. Correlation without causation. I think this must be Simon Cowell.

F1 will be better off when MBz finally leaves.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    LOLOLOLOL What a female hygiene product Andy is...

05011994 and 500drvr like this.
  10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I can see the F1 races in 2025.

Father: You see son, daddy has a hybrid engine just like Lewis!
    Son: But daddy, your car sounds nothing like his car.
    Father: It is because my car is better for the environment. We need to worry about our carbon footprint and noise pollution.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I think Lewis will be retired by 2025.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SimCity3 likes this.
  13. Son (before indoctrination): But daddy it's all BS....... ;)

14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

If Mercedes and Liberty are on a mission to eventually kill off F1, they are doing rather well.

Sharknose and 500drvr like this.
  15. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I have seen the V10, V8 and the V6 Hybrid. I was at Singapore and had seen the Hybrids for the first time. For once I left a race early, could not deal with how boring the motors sound.

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    NürScud and SimCity3 like this.
  17. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Yep...

No Hockenheim for 2020

18. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Actually F1 is even more family friendly, there has been no need to even watch the race unless Mercedes or its drivers made an error as there has never been a more dominant team and car in the history of the sport. Without having to watch the race and the quiet nature of the PUs parents can spend quality time with their children without distraction of an actual event featuring anything remotely resembling interesting or exciting, isn’t the world a better kinder place now.....

SimCity3 and ago car nut like this.
  19. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Children love parades. That’s what F1 has been for years now.

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

We were attending, and there was a lot of crowd boo's for the British Mercedes driver.

Odd !

Great race though.

21. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    exactly. Took my son to the NASCAR Roval race here in Charlotte. Gave him earplugs. He loved it. Amazingly - and no one will believe this - he survived!

22. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Having a German driver competing for wins, part of the time in a team with no history of dominance, probably helped a lot. The Mercedes F1 team is a British operation with a #1 driver who is also British and topping it off, to those who are just asshats in general, with being black. Only German thing about it is the engines and a few names

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A survey done a couple of years ago on behalf of the organisers showed that German spectators mostly objected to the ticket prices.
    There was no indication of the influence of the nationality of teams or drivers.
    That, in the richest country in the EU, with top standards of living, and where people enjoy higher disposable income than in most other European countries.
    Maybe the ticket prices have reached the limits of what the general public is ready to accept?

Manda racing likes this.
  24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed, in the early 80s I could pay for attending a GP in spite of still being a student - it was already significant money but I think it's totally got out of hands in the last decade (... or my perception could be wrong, I do not have actual data to check the ticket pricing evolution).

william likes this.
  25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

TV viewing figures drooped in UK for 2019.

Drop of 13.5% !!