Glickenhaus' SCGs | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Glickenhaus' SCGs

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Igor Ound, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Was just expecting more after reading your initial post. And thanks for the “salty character”.
    I’ll be impressed when Jim enters the Le Mans 24 as he’s been promising for ever and he finishes that.

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes the lt5 is the pinnacle of supercharged engines. Pinnacle of compromised engines. Supercharged and pushrod.

To call the boot stock and "streetable" when it's not even a production car is going out on a limb

3. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #178 johnhoughtaling, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    [QUOTE="technom3, post:
    "To call the boot stock and "streetable" when it's not even a production car is going out on a limb"

Totally cool and honorable Technom3 to throw a compliment to the company on 004. Being privy to some of the development I can tell you it will be an impressive car built first to race and second to be fully homologated.

I think you can call the Boot "streetable." The Glickenhaus team literally drove the car home after the Baja, on NY plates. I'm not sure you can call it anything but "streetable." As for calling them "production" cars, well the first Boots was built before the one that raced and another 25 are literally in production for next year with bolt on parts separating the Baja from the first one and the ones the customers are buying. (By contrast the Bronco it was competing against was nothing like the car they will sell. )

I don't know a founder in history with his name on the back of a car who is loved by everyone in period. But it's hard to be a Motorsports fan and not be impressed with what Jim Glickenhaus is doing with SCG. He's endeavoring to build a new sportcar company by racing first, and in cars that can be driven to and from the racetrack. This is something that hasn't been done by anyone in a long, long time, and may never be done again. I'm willing to bet he will line up on the grid at LeMans attempting to win in a car bearing his name. Seriously, what about this is not to be admired even by his most hardened critics? Bask in the glory of witnessing history, because this is it. And if he goes literally down in flames, be thankful someone is paying to put on the show.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

normv, tritone, BJK and 2 others like this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    NürScud likes this.
  5. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I keep wondering what's happened to the SCG 003s, where are the customer cars? Are they actually going to make any? I'm sure they were meant to be in production by now. I fear they won't ever happen, as buyers wont want them, when the SCG007 road car is available. I hope im wrong but why would some one take delivery of or place an order for an old outdated model when it's already been superseded??

6. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I'm still rooting for them to succeed, even though an Alfa powered car doesn't seem like the best idea imo (reliability and whatnot). I hope we get to see production 003Ss and 004s in 2020. Happy new year everyone btw.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
  8. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Generally when racing you have a minimum weight that the driver + car + fuel and fluids needs to be. So anything extra becomes a detriment to your lap times and race results.

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Of course.

But the statement still doesn't make sense. It's not "easier" to make a "minimum weight" requirement, by avoiding extra weight. Avoiding extra weight prevents you from weighing too much, not too little.

Tenney likes this.
  10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Logic defies intent of statement (and/or vise-versa?)?

Goin' out on a limb and guessing the Glick is angling to build to the lightest spec permissible and the plug-in doo-dads aren't helping the cause?

11. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Sure, everyone wants to build the lightest car possible ... that's no mystery! But Le Mans has a minimum weight spec, to prevent constructors from going TOO exotic, TOO light.

In any case ... adding weight (hybrid batteries) doesn't put you at higher risk of falling below the minimum weight spec. Adding hybrid weight makes it easier to hit the minimum spec, not harder.

Someone might want to inform this constructor ... sure sounds like bad choices are being made.

12. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Well you have two people who offered some insight but according to you, you know better then we do.

So why ask the question? You dont need to prove to me how smart you are.

They want the lightest package possible without the added complexity of a hybrid system. Seems pretty logical and simple to me. No need to over analyze it.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Easier to meet a minimum weight requirement, if you avoid excess weight (e.g. hybrid batteries)? That doesn't sound very "insightful" to me :rolleyes: It's not a matter of racing expertise, by the way ... it's simple, grade-school logic.

Thought I might be missing something ... but I'm not.

Have fun! I'm out.

14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    If adding a hybrid system provided favorable power-to-weight with like-efficiency, and could be achieved within budget, seems like a sensible consideration ...!

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #191 BJK, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    yeah, sure. This is not Jim's first rodeo. He has been competitively racing at the Nurburgring since 2011. That's 8 years of experience. He might have a clue as to what he wants and how to get there. (always within constraints of the rule book) ;)

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a couple comments
    - the alfa engine is no longer the one for the 004. it will be the LT5.
    - the weight reference is just that the minimum weights for hybrid cars are different than non-hybrid, and the extra hp does not compensate adequately for the extra weight.
    - you dont see a lot of 003's coz they cost $2.3 mil and not a lot of people have that kind of money for a car they may never be able to cash out of. (personally, as soon as i have $2.3 mil that my wife wont mind me spending on yet another car, i will be placing my 003 order ).
    - i am in striking range of an 004 however, and i will be ordering one of those.

as others have said, people may or may not like Jim for all sorts of reasons, but many folks didnt like enzo either.
    Jim is doing things that very few people have ever bothered to do - and it is not because it makes money.....appreciate it if you can.

clandestine, normv and Simon^2 like this.
  18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name: