360 - Couple more 360 questions | FerrariChat

360 Couple more 360 questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kitchdog, Jan 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi all,

always have my battery on a tender bit of late the starts have been sputtering a bit, had to give it a little bit to make sure it stayed started on a few occasions. Sign of the battery on the way out?

Also found this hose under the passenger side dash, not connected and it’s the first time I have seen it - any clues what it’s for?

Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    That hose might have been the vent hose for your battery.

Some sealed batteries don’t use the vent hose.

As long as starter spins normal speed then battery is probably good.

sputter or tractoring on start up can be mass air meters. Or perhaps if car sat for a very long time I’m guessing fuel re filling lines to injectors. If my 360 sits for several weeks the first start Is rough or slow at 1st. Then subsequent starts are fine.

3. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #3 Kitchdog, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    I last drove it a week ago, it has sat longer before and had better starts. Subsequent starts were all fine though. I have noticed that the battery has taken longer to get to ‘full charge’ lately as well.

I did recently take off my air filter covers and paint them silver, could have potentially done something to the mass air meters when removing the filter covers.

Another thing I have noticed lately is that little red immobiliser light is blinking faster than usual (at least I’m pretty sure it is).

Nothing has changed with the drive though, still bringing a smile to my face :)

Thanks for the info re the hose.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    That hose is indeed the battery vent tube.

Kitchdog likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Your alarm module may have gone tango uniform. I just replaced mine yesterday. An easy job, $100 if you buy the GM part instead of the one that comes in a horsey box ($500). My old one was toast as the internal, soldered in batteries had leaked, destroying the circuit board. Typical failure mode for these things.

There's a really good thread on this topic under the stickies for tech help in the 360 forum section.

Here's where I got the GM module:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-alarm-15213135

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Connect a volt meter to the battery or somewhere and hit the starter- should not drop under say 10.5 volts. If below consider a battery change.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Even with the tender, batteries do not last forever. How old is your battery?

8. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks for all the replies.

Battery is only a year old, but was done by the previous owner and is a cheap one.

I'll start her up tonight, 1 day after last drive and see how it starts.

9. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Okay exactly 24 hours until I last started it and she did the same thing. Stumbled from cold, so I switched off and back on and she came alive instantly like normal.

Can probably rule out the battery, that seems fine.

Just ordered some red line injector cleaner so will run that with a fresh tank of fuel and see if that makes a difference.

If not, will try MAF sensor cleaning.

If no luck, will be one for my mechanics at its next annual in May. Will keep this thread updated.

10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My '99 has done that for years. I don't get a chance to drive it more than once a month, and it always stumbles on first start. Has nothing to do with the battery. If the "miss" is particularly bad, I just turn off the ignition and try it again. That often fixes the stumble. I've heard it can be related to fuel pressure bleeding down over a period of non-use, but unless it gets worse I am not gonna worry about it.

Kitchdog likes this.
  11. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks for the reply. A quick google search brings up a lot of similar issues and many FChat threads about it. I have driven about 700 miles in the last 6 months so in my case it’s unlikely it would be to non use.

it’s comforting to hear I’m not alone though.

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    You may also may want to check out the Otima Red Top battery thread (warning) in the event you are thinking of a replacement battery. My battery was not that old either but started to notice how it would run done in less than a week and would not start the car. Repalced it and all is fine. I drive my car at least once a week, most times more. But with that said it can sit sometimes for two weeks. With the new battery, it always seems topped up and the car starts easily. FWIW

Kitchdog likes this.
  13. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Took it out in the nice weather today, wasn’t smoky with all the bushfires - very sad what is happening here in Aus.

Started fine from cold - these cars are funny things.

When at idle, is it normal for there to be tiny flutters? Idles at about 1000 and will often move to say 1050/1100 and back to 1000 etc.

Cheers

14. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My daughter landed in Brisbane on her way home to north Qld. She said they couldn’t see the terminal from the plane due to the smoke. I’m surprised they even landed. The photos are so tragic. Friends in NSW have evacuated. My prayers are with all in Oz, the people and the poor critters. I’ve heard some species may be wiped out, and some fires may be arson.

kes7u likes this.
  15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would say yes if the car is not all the way warmed up or if the gas is old. It takes a lot of time to warm up a car with 12+ quarts of oil! If it does this after you have driven for 45 minutes then no.

Kitchdog likes this.
  16. Angus ferrier

Angus ferrier Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Angu ferrier
    do you know if ngk make ignition coils for ferrari 360 as mine are up for replacement