New 456 Owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 456 Owner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ado4wd, Nov 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Ok, I managed to put my picture in pdf....have learned something today ! Thanks for duplicating my diagram Ian. I'm going to use this also. Make shure pin 87a is the middle pin of each 5-pin relay.

Guido

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Guido- Here is my version, a little bit higher res, which can be edited in Photoshop or other software.

Attached Files:

Qavion and theunissenguido like this.
  3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here is a .gif file that can be edited in MS paint.
    It is a bottom view of a 550 panel. I used this to hard wire a panel for my 550

Attached Files:

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There were a surprising number of differences between the 550 and the 456 board. It took me a over a day of editing. Perhaps only a 70% match. Externally, they appear identical (although I'm not sure if the 550 has a missing pin on the "D" plug).

5. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    And Andrew, any progress in finding a solution to the light problem ?

PS : 550 is completly different then 456 and 512TR board. Same lay-out but different relais and diagram.
    550 diagram ( mirror view and split in 2)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

512TR diagram ( also mirror view and split in 2)

If someone has any question about those diagrams, dont hesitate to ask me.
    Guido

6. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    Thanks for asking.

no progress. I’m taking a break.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good to hear. I'm still sorting out the wiring for these headlights. The F456 WSM graphic of the relay panel has mis-labeled connectors making it hard to match them up with those in Guido's diagram. I see, however, that the headlight motor connectors are circular 8 pin (5 wire) types, and not as I thought (broken up into 3 plugs like the F355).

Here is a headlight wiring diagram I threw together in the last few days:

Ferrari 456 Headlamp Circuit (from relay panel to lights)

I still think the problem is either with the 8 pin plug or the motor/gearbox internals

theunissenguido likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Guido, would you be able to check your 456 board to see if the two battery power (supply) terminals are shorted internally? If not shorted internally, would you be able to map them to specific fuse terminals?

I ask this because, according to the WSM, the two wires going to the battery bus from the relay panel are different colours and are attached to the battery bus via 2 different amperage fuses.

Sorry, I can't see what numbering you have used on the inboard and outboard terminals (2B? 1A?)

Thanks!

9. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Ian, yes I do connect the 2 big terminals on my boards together altough there are separated on the OEM boards.
    First : I dont see the reason why 2 wires coming from + battery are split at the fuseboard at OEM board.
    Second : I connect those in my board so the current is spread over all the circuits. With separate circuits you risk overheating 1 circuit wile the other stay cool. This can lead to the board bending and breaking some solder points.
    Numbering is 1A and 1 B...
    Guido

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #35 Qavion, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Thanks for the quick reply, Guido.
    I guess I'll have to find someone with a spare OEM board to help me figure it out.

There must have been something in the Ferrari designer's mind when he created the OEM setup. Perhaps having some systems on a separate fuse might leave something on the car working if one of the fuses blows. If only one fuse blows, it helps you with faultfinding. On the 550, (EDIT) it doesn't have maxi-fuses supplying the relay panel, but the OEM board seems to be split up into engine management and non-engine management stuff.

11. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I have an original 456 OEM board in Belgium, but because I'm in Argentina for the moment...have no access to it. All the other boards (F40,288, 328, mondials,tr, testarossa,400i, 412, 512tr, have split wires coming from battery and split circuits on the boards.But no extra fuses for the separate circuits. Thats why I started from the beginning to connect the 2 big connectors on my boards.Just to prevent bending boards with heatbuilding in 1 of the 2 circuits.
    Guido

Qavion likes this.
  12. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    Update: I was lucky to find a new linkage (actually the whole bucket) on eBay. Paid a little more than you’d hope to for a little piece of metal. Got the pieces swapped out and now we are happy!

Qavion likes this.
  13. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    Have a few pieces left over (obviously the piece that attaches to the motor is stripped) if anyone is in need.

Qavion likes this.
  14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Congrats on the fix.

Let’s hope whatever caused the stripped linkage is no longer present !!

15. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

And welcome (and happy new year to everyone!) to the right place for 456 enthusiasts.

I have never (knock on wood) had trouble with the headlamps, but the windscreen wiper main arm (driver's side) has also slightly worn splines, and it has done the same thing about 2-3 times, where I needed it in rain (anybody who was in Norway last Sept. for the Nordic FOC meeting would know) it would at some point, after maybe 15-20 mins of use, not go all the way down anymore, and would gradually get stuck all the way up! The passenger side works fine, but does not help so much when driving in rain. :(

Opening the 13mm nut and carefully putting the arm back would make it work again fine for at least a few wipes. :)

Cheers!